Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grandpa... tell us about the war

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dwrwd View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dwrwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grandpa... tell us about the war
    Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 15:55
I have been playing Illy for only a couple of months so I obviously had no involvement in the war nor any particular sympathy for either side. And yet, as I believe is the case for many other newbies, I would like to know more about it.

In the hope that this thread will not become, as it often seems to happen, a surrogate battlefield for those contenders who evidently did not get enough of their share of fighting in the real war (and by real I obviously mean fake, this is a game you know), I ask you to describe the events of this war as you would if you were telling a story to a child. After all, aren't we all newbies like children needing support and guidance ;-)

This doesn't mean you have to spare us the gory details. We already know about the monster who lives in the closet that will take us away if we don't eat all our supper or harvest in your sov. So if you want to tell us of how you razed a city after butchering the 10k spearmen defending it, it's ok, we can take it. Just please mind the language.

You are welcome to describe the large scale strategic manoeuvers of the alliances, the cloak and dagger games going on behind the scenes, or even just a small episode that you may have witnessed first hand (like the siege of a single city, for example).

Pleeeease grandpa, one more story before I go to bed.

Edit @ killer poodle: we don't want comments about other people's posts. They're boooring!
If you don't like what other people said, just tell us your own side of the story. That is the full story, as you think it should be told.

Re-edit @ Deranzin: your philosophical approach to the causes of this war is interesting but maybe a bit too aloof for kids like us to comprehend. We really just want to hear a fun story :)

Edited by Dwrwd - 17 Feb 2014 at 22:22
Miklabjarnir View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Miklabjarnir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 16:40
I am a bystander, and despite of the size of the war most are actually outside it. I am a profiteer, selling my goods to whoever is willing or desperate enough to pay my inflated prices. Again, not unusual in times of war. The entire economy of Elgea would collapse if people did not use enormous amounts of gold and resources to prepare for wars and then using them up during the war.

As seems to be the usual way with great wars, this one started (or at least got out of hand) because somebody was not happy with the result of the previous war. The previous war was called many things, but it seems many have agreed to call it The Consone War after the main instigator. They were a group who had very strong views about the right way to behave in Elgea and about the evils of alliances with other ideas getting big and powerful. For all practical purposes they were annihilated in that war.

As with other great wars, the losing side was left with a number of grudges. The peace treaties left them with a long list of cities they had to give up, either to be taken over or razed by the winners. And even worse for some, their philosophy had not prevailed. Some were making secret plans behind the scenes, and many were waiting for somebody to kill the Archduke//////// do something to give them a pretext for action. 

I hope some of the cooler heads both among the coalition and the unnamed axis crow-eagle / militant pacifist crusaders / whatever will provide historians with documents and events about the early stages of this conflict before they are forgotten.
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KillerPoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 17:53
Originally posted by Miklabjarnir Miklabjarnir wrote:

For all practical purposes they were annihilated in that war.

By what criteria?  Have you seen how many of those alliances are in the current war?
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill
Miklabjarnir View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miklabjarnir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 18:03
In my book a confederation is annihilated when it dissolves, even if many of the previous members are relatively unhurt. Just like an alliance is destroyed if the members leave it, even if they are more or less unharmed.
scaramouche View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scaramouche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 18:22
It is wrong for Mikla to suggest that the current war was started because of old grudges from the consone war...although I will not deny a lot of ex consone players, wanted revenge (if that is the right word).
There is no way one or two ex consone alliances persuaded other non consone/axis alliances to indulge in an almost global server war just because they hold grudges.

Myself being an ex consone player was looking for an excuse to have another go at the axis and was undeniably over the moon when this war started.
There are alliances in this war that had no part in the consone war and therefore have their own reasons..but as in most cases the truth will always be torn and ripped apart and turned into spin/lies and denials.
As much as I respect the OP'S interest in wanting to know more details of this current exchange. this will turn into a flame fest.
I would recommend you read through the past threads on this subject to get an idea of what I say.
NO..I dont do the Fandango!
Nokigon View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Historian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Nokigon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 18:32
Actually I quite like the premise of this thread. I will tell you, then, about the events leading to the surrender of the dominion.

The three alliances which comprise the dominion are TO, TCol and DB (my alliance). At this time, TCol were being the main focus of enemy attention out of the three. After a failed attempt to siege a city belonging to Asjeff, they were the weakest out of the three of us, too. In comparison to peacetime troop levels, DB was probably best off. As such, I requested and then rejected peace terms in an attempt to attract attention onto us and away from TCol; at the same time, the Dominion engaged ourselves in a last ditch effort to siege Ely, a city belonging to Asjeff- the rook of nCrow. It was a gamble that we could withstand the enemy; we would either break them, or be broken ourselves.

The ploy to draw the enemy into attacking us was a success. EE put down a number of sieges against us; perhaps underestimating us, we were able to break the sieges which we chose to retaliate against. The turn in our fortunes came with a mass set of sieges against Sergito. The first siege against him was very nearly prevented from ever arriving- we stacked the siege square with reinforcements, and had we put down another 5k or so the siege would not have landed. Such is life. However, the siege army was badly damaged and it could not get Asa Wright down to siegable size. The next couple of sieges were less successful, and Siparia and Three Pools fell in quick succession. Asia Wright itself and Diego Martin were crippled. Our last reserves were used trying to defeat these sieges; our only other troops were going to Ely. If we couldn't win at Ely, then, defeat would be inevitable.

The siege at Ely was a failure. The Dominion were so badly weakened by war by now that even the combined efforts of the three of us was not enough to hold off against nCrow. Even our direct siege attacks were defeated by the reinforcements in the city. With no troops and sieges landing daily, victory had become impossible. We therefore took the decision to surrender.
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 18:59
Although I think Miklabjarnir gave a decent account of the Trove War grudges, I disagree with his Archduke Ferdinand analogy (note for history buffs: take it elsewhere, this isn't a WWI history thread). Both major wars had one side openly looking for a pretext, and the other side purposely and flagrantly giving it to them. There were many points along the road to war where both sides could have defused the situation, and instead opted for escalation. I would describe both server wars as voluntary conflicts between opponents who had long known they were going to war. The need for a pretext is one of the bizarre things about Illyriad--apparently nobody is willing to admit that in a video game, you don't need an elaborate reason to start a battle.

The strange thing about the current war, in my own opinion, is the apparent number of empty accounts. Both sides seem to have huge armies of sat accounts. I would speculate that each major combatant (the well known players, not the peons) is controlling at least 4-6 accounts. There seems to be evidence that several players are running many more than 6. Market prices have actually fallen on many commodities, simply because the fighting accounts are supplied by many other permasat feeder accounts. I used to think that permasat accounts were a minor problem (and I maintain they are not the cause of map crowding), but the power they allow individuals to project is unfair to newer players, simply because the oldest alliances collect the most big permasat military accounts.

This war is also characterized by the annihilation of isolated accounts. While some players were allowed to surrender, others were hunted down even after they left their alliance and the war. I think that from this point forward, Illyriad will be a more brutal game with mega-alliances acting like traditional MMO warlords. I don't anticipate that Broken Lands will change that, whenever it might arrive.

In short, I believe this war is when Illyriad became like other MMORTS. It might have been inevitable; I'm not even sure it's regrettable. It is what it is.
Elmindra View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Elmindra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 21:41
Now that is exactly what this thread needed Noki, nicely done.  In that spirit, I will tell our side of that specific story.

After finishing our campaign on H? in the north, EE decided to move south and east against the Dominion who had been stalwartly entrenched in battle for some time against our allies.  After a round of long distance sieges and reinforcement operations against The Colonist Empire, we decided that another direction was needed.  Fearing that outside influence was hardening TCol's resolve, it was determined that a focused campaign against another Dominion force was required.

Scouting parties were sent, and forces were taken measure.  But either by our pride or by our past conquests, our first attacks were met with both superior resistance and proper planning.  Our first siege was cleared out of a group of buildings, but not without a large number of swords that I determined that Dark Blight could not afford to lose.  A large scale siege was sent to a mountain range, but some armies arrived too late to prevent the ambush set from destroying a good number of our siege engines.  Once the bulk of forces arrived it was apparent the enemy could not dislodge us, but neither could we storm and raze the town of Asa Wright.

After gaining a proper measure of our enemy, and with it a proper respect, we landed more sieges against their General Sergito.  Towns were razed and enemy troops were killed in terrain not favorable to them due to their previous loss of swords.  Troops arrived from all members of DB who still had them at home, but it was too little too late.  What was later learned was that the enemy had troops marching to their doom in a last ditch attack against an allied leader.

Surrender quickly followed after these battles, but indeed the greatest respect was gained for our foes in Dark Blight.  They taught us to not gauge the strength of our foes upon the ease of earlier victories, and bloodied our troops in a way we had not seen up to that point.

On a side note and completely out of storyteller character, nicely done Noki in both the on the field showing and in the spirit of the above post.  You and your alliance definately have earned the respect of EE, and hopefully you have continued growth and success.
Deranzin View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deranzin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2014 at 21:59
Originally posted by Elmindra Elmindra wrote:

You and your alliance definately have earned the respect of EE, and hopefully you have continued growth and success.

/facepalm Sick

Anyway, to the topic ... the simple explanation (since longer explanations will eventually lead to quibbling  ) is this :

Any long-standing status-quo that is trying to please as many people as possible is bound to displease most people or eventually turn everyone against it and illyriad was no exception to this rule ...  such is the way of the world and the nature of our species ...

What IS amusing in that habit of our existence though is that the next condition that we strive for and hope that it will be better (or more beneficent ), usually turns out to rarely be like that ... LOL

If you enjoy the ironies of life, stick around and you are going to have grand fun Big smile

The Duke View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 01:11
First and foremost Id like to respectfully disagree also with Mik on the issue of Consone pressing their views ect and the reasons of that war. Also I will point out that Consone as a whole may have been destroyed however I felt most alliances were given reasonable terms to surrender from the conflict aside from maybe EE and a few other miscellaneous terms. 

~Prior to the onset of the war I had my alt account in NC, where I fought Bane and Insanity Inc. I  enjoyed the friendships and warlike play NC and its members have had since shortly after their journey began. Being part of a small close knit group that's active everyday and was something I had not experienced yet in my tenure here. I spent more time on my alt than I did on my main account. It was around this time my brother in RL started playing and I needed to make a switch from elf to orc. Knowing this was possibly the last time Id ever actually go through with the move I abandoned my alt and in doing so left NC. In the meantime I was setting Shade up to be a competitive military style alliance built for tourneys and Veteran Illy players. War seemed to be on the brink- It seemed as though blood was on on the breath of everyone. The air was becoming thick and whatever each alliances choke point was their tolerance was less and less. The fact that we had no tourney for ages meant illy was full of troop counts, negative gold, and people willing and ready to prove their mettle. 
War broke loose and with them- many major armies that had been horded for the better half of a year. Illyriad seen battles for the record books, unknown men and women carving their names in with the Gods, and those that were once great proved why, or they were cast away soon to be forgotten like so many before them. 
Shades initial targets were those closest to them in Kal Tirikan and freemorn. We knew they were active, and if not were actively sat based on the last tourney. Our primary focus were the freemorn cluster of Harmless. After being evenly matched or out matched the previous tourney in that region we knew it would be an uphill battle. Not only did Harmless display prowess in the last tourney but they did so coming fresh off a war. Our initial Sieges were met with Heavy resistance. John 5420, Leanthar, and alas Tordenkofffen did not disappoint. Their armies were heavy and well led, dealing a 2-1 kill death ratio at nearly every hit. This is when my time in NC really helped me. NC was second to none at one thing. War. To win a war you needed to be active, and timing was most crucial. I had a meeting with our strategist and trusted generals setting sieges in favorable terrain along with precise timing. With every siege we landed we would launch a follow up siege shortly after. It became apparent that with the continued Barrage and Shades superior sov/cities in the area we were making considerable headway. At some point some of our members lost the sense of containment I had hoped we could keep, destroying one account to the last city, and others losing 4-5. I then reached out to H? and after a week or so reeling in some of our members we moved on from the freemorn region which had proven broken and bloodier than I would have ever imagined. We continue to march, farther and farther south. The enemy has regrouped and I can only  imagine the pain we have felt thus far is minute in comparison to what lies ahead. ~
"Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic