Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exodus Technology

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Is there any aspect of Exodus Technology that could be improved?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [11.11%]
3 [33.33%]
3 [33.33%]
1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Batmap View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batmap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exodus Technology
    Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 08:29
Here is what the Exodus Technology page says for me (currently on 3rd town; not yet researched exodus in any city).

Exodus
---------
[in-game description in the research tree]
"Movement of your people from one location to another is a phenomenally difficult task. The logistics involved in a complete city move without magic - from deconstructing every building in your city, to storing and packing your goods, to looking after the people themselves during the move - are mind-boggling. This technology allows you to move your city and get the benefit of the underlying resources of a new location. Allows non-magical movement of a city. Requires Warehouse Level 20."

Okay, that is not so bad. Concise and to the point. Add something to the effect of "Allows non-magical movement of this or one of your other cities", "All resources and buildings over level 12 are lost in the process" and a LOT of confusion can be cleared up.

Whatever language or content you go with, I encourage you to fix any ambiguous language. Clarity will help new players easily understand how to use Exodus and not cause players to rage-quit over confusing instructions given by the interface.

On that point, here is a great example. The description on the research page (above) and exodus (below) do not match. More importantly, this phrase below is not clear "If you wish to move this town, you must first change focus to another town and move it from there." I suggest using something to the effect of "If you wish to move this town, you must research Exodus in one of your towns (this or another town), then once research is completed... change focus to one of your other towns to move this town."

Exodus
---------
[https://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/Town/Exodus]
"Movement of your people from one location to another is a phenomenally difficult task. The logistics involved in a complete city move without magic - from deconstructing every building in your city, to storing and packing your goods, to looking after the people themselves during the move - are mind-boggling.

If you wish to move, there are various restrictions on how and when you can do so, and the restrictions are available here.

If you wish to move this town, you must first change focus to another town and move it from there.

When entering the co-ordinates of where you wish to move, please check these very carefully including the minus signs (if applicable), as if you get them wrong there is no recourse via the GMs or otherwise. The minimap should help you get your destination correct.

The caravan train that moves your city moves at 15 squares per hour. For 5 days after you have moved your city you cannot undertake military or diplomatic missions - although your troops will still defend if attacked.

You do not have any other cities which you can relocate from here.

Ensure you have researched the Exodus technology in another city to be able to move it."

I am not perfect, so please say something if I missed something or you have any questions or concerns.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 12:00
You may not understand Exodus.  Exodus must be researched in the city that you wish to move.  The city has to be moved from another city.  That other city does not need to have Exodus researched.

For example, if I wish to move City A, I must exodus research in City A.  Then I need to move the city from one of my other cities, such as City B.  As far as the game is concerned, city B can be a new settlement with no research completed whatsoever.
Batmap View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batmap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 12:11
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

You may not understand Exodus.  Exodus must be researched in the city that you wish to move.  The city has to be moved from another city.  That other city does not need to have Exodus researched.

For example, if I wish to move City A, I must exodus research in City A.  Then I need to move the city from one of my other cities, such as City B.  As far as the game is concerned, city B can be a new settlement with no research completed whatsoever.
Thank you. Essentially, that is why I made this post. But also, I was curious if anyone else had issue with Exodus.

Your statement is very good. I would consider adding that to the Exodus description for all locations:

"Movement of your people from one location to another is a phenomenally difficult task. The logistics involved in a complete city move without magic - from deconstructing every building in your city, to storing and packing your goods, to looking after the people themselves during the move - are mind-boggling. This technology allows you to move your city and get the benefit of the underlying resources of a new location. Exodus must be researched in the city that you wish to move.  The city has to be moved from another city.  That other city does not need to have Exodus researched. Allows non-magical movement of a city. Requires Warehouse Level 20."

Edited by Batmap - 11 Feb 2017 at 12:34
Batmap View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batmap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 19:04
While preparing to exodus, I came across these Exodus restrictions. Since this is the first I have heard of these restrictions, mentioning here seemed appropriate.

http://imgur.com/6J7Chls

"You have settlers in motion.
You currently have building constructions in progress in this town. All building constructions must be finished.
You currently have research in progress in this town. All building research must be finished.
You have military or diplomatic units currently in motion, and this prevents you from moving your city. All units must be home."

http://imgur.com/3e3idbs

So, what am I saying here? Just list them all out, simply and clearly. For example:

"Movement of your people from one location to another is a phenomenally difficult task. The logistics involved in a complete city move without magic - from deconstructing every building in your city, to storing and packing your goods, to looking after the people themselves during the move - are mind-boggling. This technology allows you to move your city and get the benefit of the underlying resources of a new location. Exodus must be researched in the city that you wish to move.  The city has to be moved from another city.  That other city does not need to have Exodus researched. Allows non-magical movement of a city. Requires Warehouse Level 20. All building constructions and research must be finished. All units must be home. You must have enough gold to upkeep your army. This move will cancel any Sovereignty you may have claimed from this town, and will clear your current Quests. All spells cast by this town and on this town will be cancelled. After the move, the maximum any of your buildings or resource plots will be is level 12."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic