illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holding Sieges

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holding Sieges
    Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 16:56
Whats the deal with holding sieges? What is a holding siege? Why should we preserve inactive accounts that just clutter up the land and inflate dead alliances standings?

Thoughts on the matter will be appreciated. There seems to have been a spate of wild human cav running around BL causing chaos and mayhem.
Kaggen is my human half
DeathDealer89 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathDealer89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 18:51
Holding sieges keep accounts from being deleted.  This gives members time to get enough pop to take the next city.

As you can imagine it would be quite annoying to send a siege that takes 5 days to get there, and another 2-3 to take the city have the city disappear in the middle of the action.

Edited by DeathDealer89 - 22 Oct 2016 at 18:51
Hyrdmoth View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyrdmoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 23:08
Abandoned towns are valuable principally because of the research already completed within them, but also potentially because of their population, location and any resources they contain.

Thus people will seek to preserve the existence of abandoned towns and denote claimed ownership with a siege-engine-less siege. The idea that I am trying to inflate the alliance standing of TUF is laughable.

Of course, just as you might attack an army that claims ownership of a valuable mine to take ownership of it yourself, you might decide to attack holding sieges to deny valuable resources to others. Just save us from the attempt to claim that you are on a crusade to clear up "clutter".
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 07:26
I have not claimed anything of the sort. If you intend to siege a city, then do it. If you intend to just sit there for days doing nothing, well anything can happen.
Kaggen is my human half
Ryklaw View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryklaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 01:43
A siege without siege units helps regarding keeping peaceful relationships. Even though a player might have received all appropriate permissions to take a city, there often are others who may contest the claim. A siege without units gives a public announcement of their intentions in time to resolve peacefully any conflicting claims before committing actual troops. It also gives a player with meager resources an idea if there resides in the area they hope to settle, belligerent bullies who look for opportunities to take military action on smaller players/alliances.

Edited by Ryklaw - 24 Oct 2016 at 01:47
Finishing the Race!
II Tim 4:7,8
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2016 at 18:54
So what decides if one is a belligerent bully? A few alts moaning loudly in GC trying to work up the crowd over a few isolated incidents? A military orientated player actually using the game mechanics to have fun?

If I understand the last line there I am guessing you are hinting that Kaggen is a bully? If memory serves me correctly he has hit one siege of an unaffiliated player who was actually trying to cap a city of a player actively involved in a war ( So my guess is that was collateral damage), and the rest have been on alliances more than 20 times his size. Just an observation though. I could be wrong.

It seems funny how people complain about not enough space in the game, people perma sitting accounts, massive inactive accounts sitting in alliances, and such yet at the same time are unwilling to let them go. You cannot have it both ways. People have found a way to get around the devs attempt at thinning out the inactives even after pleading with them to do something about it. Everyone wants something for free and get everything the easy way. Well Kaggen says, you want it, best to take it while its hot. Stop messing around and get the job done.
Kaggen is my human half
Mr Damage View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Damage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 07:04
+1 Grag. Use it or lose it I say.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic