illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HUGcr is disbanding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Captain Kindly View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Kindly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HUGcr is disbanding
    Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 01:53
This really pains me. Those who know me know I am serious here.

My first alliance in this game was HUGs. I moved on, I came back to HUGcr, and they actually let me lead them.

But this isn't about me. This is about my alliance.

Which, sadly, I am going to shut down. We no longer have leaders or willing leaders to keep it up.

Of course our members already know, and fellow Crow alliances know. Now you know too.

My last remaining job is to make sure my members find a new place where they will be happy playing on. That will be tough, because there aren't many alliances that can compete to us, groupwise.

But I, and my members will be open. 

I have sent out recommendations, and I will talk on that to every member asking me on where to go. But that is an internal matter for now.

What is not internal is that I can still call the Crow Sign if anybody thinks we are fair game. And since I am in an emotional state atm, I will, and call for wipe out if anybody goes for us at this time.

To our allies I will say this. Thank you for being good to us and I hope you feel the same.

*HUG*

Edited by Captain Kindly - 21 Aug 2016 at 02:05
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 04:55
Respect to HUGS and HUGcr.  Once a Crow always a Crow -- that goes for you and your members as well.  I do not speak for nCrow, but I will stand with HUGcr for as long as they have any active players, and I believe other Crows will as well.
Solanar View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Solanar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 20:11
Best wishes to you all. Salut!
TheBillPN View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheBillPN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 11:56
My year in HUGcr was the best year I've had in Illy. Everyone was friendly, ready to help and always, always had hugs lying around. *HUGS*

HUGcr will be missed by me and, i'm sure, many others.

Good wishes to everyone in HUGcr. Live long and Prosper.
Tharp View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 09:48
There is nothing better than a good hug. Wink
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 16:28
a rumination on the ending of HUGcr (or, if you prefer, a eulogy):

HUGcr (and prior to that, HUGS) has been a feature of the game since shortly before i joined. it's been maligned by some and had its challenges over that time. a few years ago it was expected to merge with uCrow, which it has outlasted. although i could never have passed the entrance examination, i have always admired the sense of mission in an alliance avowedly about helping new players. a strong sense of purpose is not unique (T? has it; Roads, in the beginning; NC, perhaps; a few others), but it's never been common among illy alliances. i've seen the shared ethic and the community it fosters serve HUGcr well over that time. players have left to go to other alliances, but many have returned for a week or a month or to stay.

it's thankless work. you give resources to players who are too new to understand what they've gotten into; answer questions they could have sorted themselves with a little reading; and often all this to the tune of detractors in gc complaining about fostering a culture of dependency. HUGcr's enthusiastic greetings were the sign to many newcomers that illyriad wasn't like the other games they'd played. here, reinforced by the perpetual nature of the game, we fight...and then we settle things, more like siblings than enemies, because no one can force you out of illy but you. (and Rikoo...but let's leave that for another time.)

the detractors may have had something. newbs became bolder, more demanding. other alliances picked up the giving spirit as a way of introducing themselves to new players. junior alliances were formed as resource banks for new players--less training, more largesse. it became more difficult to recognise the differences between HUGcr and other social alliances that engaged in the same activities. in some sense, HUGcr can end because its mission became part of common practice.
before training alliances proliferated to such an extent that there were too many to easily choose from, many players found what they wanted in a training alliance in HUGcr: a nonthreatening place staffed with experienced, patient players willing to teach and advise. HUGcr never advertised itself as a training alliance, but it was rumoured to be one just the same. today you're a training alliance if you say so on your profile page, but when that designation was less popular, training alliances were recognised implicitly by the community for the attention they paid to newbs and the care they took to equip them for the game. and in that sense, HUGcr was one of the better ones.

there have been many players who began in HUGcr and remember it fondly. i suspect that there will be many after it is gone that will still regard in the way they do now, as a sort of home they're not in atm, but the existence of which is still somehow comforting. i, for one, am glad to have seen it work even if, like Camelot, it could only be for a time. good parting to all the HUGgers--or, as i prefer, the cuddly crows--and well done.

"Nothing ever ends." --Dr. Manhattan

Diva View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Diva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 21:13
Awww, HUGcr cradled me for a time when I was on a mission to get to know alliances and other players, and learn information about the game. It was wonderful and I enjoyed and learned (not too much about baseball CK) but more than I did know. 

Hope you all consider yourself part of the History of Illyriad as you made it that way for many players.

I know your players will find many friends across alliances to continue their good works.

Your,
Diva
"Um diva.... you are sort of acting like a .... diva...." - PhoenixFire
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote abstractdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 01:19
An alliance, a good alliance that works, is a delight. It allows you to be part of something larger than yourself and when that is lost, for whatever reason, it can be an emotional experience. The pride of what you've accomplished will carry you through.

Good Luck in whatever y'all do if the future and always remember to have fun!
Bonfyr Verboo
Lumelthien View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lumelthien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 04:36
That's awful!

When I first dabbled in this game in December of 2012, I think that several of the folks from HUGcr were the primary ones making GC a warm and kind and welcoming place. I pop in to the game now and then, and just can't help but notice how different the current crop of folks are, and what a completely different ambience GC has.

Ah well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic