illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Factions 101

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
demdigs View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demdigs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Factions 101
    Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 17:01
I haven't seen a faction basics for new players, so I will try to fill the void for that. 

Factions at the base level are non player groups, each one is unique with different traits, they each have units and most have faction hubs/cities. Faction hubs are places where you can trade advanced goods (with a trader). Each faction has unique faction standings, not only with the individual but the race and other factions, these all determine how you are affected by factions and how you interact with factions. 

To start at phase one: http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/Alliance/Faction -these are the factions in the game, 

On the left you see the faction names and which continent they are located in. 
To the right you will see it sorted by faction hub names, and which faction each one belongs to and which region it is in.

Now for an example for the factions. 

http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/Alliance/Faction/80 these are the illians, I am using this faction due to it's diversity of actions/reactions to different races.

When you go to this page you will see it's name at the very top, followed by the race and then region.

Below that is "your standings" which shows you your individual standings with that faction, and your alliances' standings with that faction.  

Below that and to the left hand side is the list of it's "hubs" and to the right shows a short blurb about the faction itself.

On the left and below the hubs, shows known units, which shows which units the faction has available to it.

Further below that is the default racial standings, these show how the faction will interact with each individual race, and how it will affect whole alliances. For example, a pure elven alliance will be +10 faction standings, if you include even one from another race the standings will drop correspondingly. 

Further below shows how the factions will interact with other factions, 
this faction currently has -65 with the lyrians and -70 with the turyns, so if you are friendly with either one of those factions, your standings with this faction will drop as well. Or if you are enemies with those factions, your standings with the illians will rise. 

And finally, here is the table for what each faction standing means

StandingMeaning
+90May join on an aggressive missions
+75May assist city if under siege near territory
+50May join and assist units if camped in territory
+35Will offer faction quests
+1 to +35Will trade at discount prices (sliding scale)
0Neutral
-1 to -35Will trade but at inflated prices (sliding scale)
-35Will refuse to trade
-50May attack and kill any units they see in "their territory"
-75Will actively seek out and try to destroy cities within a certain radius of faction hub
-90Pure hatred, will attempt to destroy at any cost

Here is a guide on faction trading by buttered toast

http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/so-you-wanna-trade-guide-to-basic-faction-trade_topic5382.html

Edited by demdigs - 30 Jan 2016 at 20:09
demdigs View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demdigs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 17:03
*Note, Faction standing changes are being worked on by the devs currently and can not change right now. Once it comes out and we learn more about it i will update accordingly 
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 20:51
Nice guide dem, answers many questions new players have.
Hyrdmoth View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyrdmoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 10:43
Interesting to note that Broken Lands' factions do not have inter-faction standings as Elgean factions do. I don't know whether this will follow in time, or is a deliberate omission.

Also important to note that, at present, you can trade at any faction hub, contrary to the faction standing, and that there is a bug that the developers are investigating that means that factions which are friendly to some races, but hostile to others - such as the Drek-Hhakral, or the Free Orcs - are currently attacking all races, contrary to the faction standing.
Agalloch View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agalloch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 11:05
Nice indeed and yes my alt has towns in shardlands and I got attacked by the Free Orcs as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic