illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Captain Kindly Interview

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kafka View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kafka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Captain Kindly Interview
    Posted: 24 Nov 2015 at 20:40
I caught up to Captain Kindly first in GC then in SnugglersCrowalition [HUGcr] AC to find out how he had killed 638k plus NPCs during October to win first place in League B, 5-9 cities in the Crow Hunting Tournament. Here are the highlights of the interview.

[08:53]<Captain Kindly> I tell myself I am doing people a favour, dealing out all those free hides and rat anatomies. I'm like the Rat Easter Bunny of NW Elgaea... 

[2 Nov 20:40]<jolly roger II> CK where did you find all those NPCs? was it Freemorn?

[02 Nov 20:44]<Captain Kindly> If you check my cities, you'll see that most are near the border between Fremorn and Kal Tirikan. I scouted from there into Fremorn, Kal Tirikan, Meilla, Western Realms, Keppen and The wastes

[02 Nov 20:45]<Captain Kindly> I didn't have as many troops as most others did, and could hunt only from four cities mainly. So I sent out scouts in the morning, and sent after Legions of Rats when I had enough good targets scouted. Which meant that most of the times my armies had to travel for 6+ hours to get there

[02 Nov 20:47]<Captain Kindly> It did help that I built Foreign offices and maxed them. They have a huge range, and I could pick out the nearby Legions that way. Most scouts were sent outside that range.

[2 Nov 20:48]<jolly roger II> the strategy of blocking out tasks throughout 3 times a day, - is that right? - did you do that from the start or did you develop that as a solution during the tourney?

[02 Nov 20:51]<Captain Kindly> At the start of the tournament, I wasn't competing. I only started in the second week, to get some healthy in-Alliance competition with ChezBobbo. But since I didn't have enough to go full speed for a month, I decided this was the only way for me to keep it up: send scouts in the morning, check and sort the results in the afternoon and send out at the end of the afternoon. So yes, 3 moments for me to be on Illy a day. Luckily I could spare that time. although the sending out took the most time. For processing reports I had a spreadsheet

Captain Kindly> (I just checked my Growth stats. I began hunting on Oct 8)

[2 Nov 20:54]<jolly roger II> over a million, nice!

Captain Kindly> Rats die easily.  And since it was about the number of kills and not about gained XP I decided to keep hunting them until none could be found. That saved me troops for later.

Captain Kindly> There were days when I didn't send out all armies, because of a lack of targets. I didn't hunt below the size of 1K hosts

[2 Nov 20:57]<jolly roger II> were you running out of npcs to hit near the end?

[02 Nov 21:01]<Captain Kindly> Yes, I switched to military sov as soon as I committed to competing. I may be a HUGger, but I do know how to use military sov.  My Bow cities started cranking out T1 replacements, but in the end I did not need those. when I stopped hunting, I had original troops left in all cities

[02 Nov 21:01]<Captain Kindly> At of week 3, it was harder to find targets. The devs have made it so that when an NPC gets over-hunted somewhere, they stop spawning there in force. Well, that mechanism works. But in the last week they started coming back again.  At the end of week 3

[02 Nov 21:01]<Captain Kindly> On target availability, I have to add that I seemed to be the only competitor in the Northwest, so I didn't suffer from others going for the same targets much.

[2 Nov 21:04]<jolly roger II> also, it must've helped that you used a vast bunch of area, do you think?

Captain Kindly> I am sure it was a huge help. But that is a part of strategy. If others had had the time, or wanted to spend that time, they could have gone looking further from home too. And some did. You can pick them from the rankings easily by checking number of battles and average number of kills per battle.

Edited by Kafka - 24 Nov 2015 at 20:46
One day I awoke from unsettling dreams to find myself transformed into a medium-sized Illyriad player
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic