illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weak "Heavily Armoured Cavalry" Knight?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JohnDoe View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnDoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weak "Heavily Armoured Cavalry" Knight?
    Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 01:21
Greetings,

I am a bit confused with the Knight stat of Human's unit type.
Aren't they supposed to be "heavily armoured" cavalry units? Thus that so slower speed they have?
Weren't they supposed also to have high defensive capability in history?

Pardon me for these questions. I am a bit confused. Thank you in advance for your time and attention, game dev. 
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 05:14
In Illy, cavalry units of all races are intended mainly as attack units.   Defending with cavalry of any kind is a bad idea because of the cost of the units compared with their defense values.

My limited understanding of military matters in the "real world" suggests that this is true of cavalry both historically and armored cavalry today is primarily used for attack.  One would respond to such an attack with ranged units (such as, in today's terms, artillery or possibly mobile artillery units) or by trapping them in entrenchments or with mines, etc.
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 12:23
i think you will find that a heavily armoured knight was never so vulnerable as when his mount was stopped in a crowd of enemies. heavy armour kept the knight mostly safe from the sort of glancing attacks one suffers at a charge, but absent that velocity the knight suffered from visibility and agility challenges and the possibility of being overbourne.

a tangent, perhaps, but the game Mount & Blade does a good job of modelling the effect.
mrmarcdee View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmarcdee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 02:34
Originally posted by Angrim Angrim wrote:

a tangent, perhaps, but the game Mount & Blade does a good job of modelling the effect.

Is that game fun?
Artefore View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior
Player Council - Biographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artefore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 05:04
Originally posted by mrmarcdee mrmarcdee wrote:

Originally posted by Angrim Angrim wrote:

Is that game fun?

It is the most fun game.  
"don't quote me on that" -Artefore
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic