illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Attitudes and Opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 03:59
To what result?
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 04:52
[02:57]<GM Stormcrow> @Vty - heh. My views on friction are oft taken to mean war - which is incorrect...

[02:58]<GM Stormcrow> Friction is caused by rubbing up against people. This can be annoying and violence-making (cf a crowded subway train), or extremely pleasurable (cf erm, using your imagination)

Shûl-nak View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith
Warpainter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shûl-nak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 19:50
Here's the way I see it:

What is there a perceived need for in Illyriad right now? Areas of the map where people can engage in PvP perhaps without the disastrous consequences of previous large wars. (ie accounts entirely razed, alliances ruined etc)

The devs did not create 'safe havens' or 'danger zones,' so it falls to us as players to create these kinds of areas.

But people have already settled all over the map in Illyria. No matter what kind of conflict zone we want to cultivate, someone there is not going to like it. Call it unjustified bullying if you will; I would take no pleasure in harming someone just to get them to leave, but I truly believe it's a necessary step to get what we want. Omelettes and eggs.

Ergo, I see SIN's claims to own Fellandire as a necessary step towards creating this kind of area. Some say SIN is throwing its weight around for the sake of bullying, but I think they're just folks who want to play the game in a way that is demonised by the majority. Whether rightly or wrongly is not mine to question.

So, first of all you drive away those who clearly would not suit the playstyle being encouraged here. Then you make it abundantly clear via profile advertising, forum posts, GC presences and any other means you can that players who comes to this area should expect this kind of playstyle.

Then you say: but SIN are a large alliance with a ton of experience. Who in their right minds would settle down there just to have their teeth kicked in?

I can't speak for them, but I assume they enjoy competition as much as anyone else. What we need to do is clear space to plant seeds for burgeoning PvP-oriented players and alliances who can take things up a notch. Where we can pool military players, share knowledge and have a good laugh from our collective thrones as we send our poor mooks to their deaths.

We need to make an active effort to promote an area that is more competitive and hostile, but hopefully a place that values sportsmanship and the thrill of the hunt more than getting overly upset and pulling the MAD card that leaves many players disillusioned with the game.

Edited by Shûl-nak - 25 Apr 2015 at 19:51
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abstractdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 06:49
Originally posted by Shûl-nak Shûl-nak wrote:

Here's the way I see it:

What is there a perceived need for in Illyriad right now? Areas of the map where people can engage in PvP perhaps without the disastrous consequences of previous large wars. (ie accounts entirely razed, alliances ruined etc)

The devs did not create 'safe havens' or 'danger zones,' so it falls to us as players to create these kinds of areas.

But people have already settled all over the map in Illyria. No matter what kind of conflict zone we want to cultivate, someone there is not going to like it. Call it unjustified bullying if you will; I would take no pleasure in harming someone just to get them to leave, but I truly believe it's a necessary step to get what we want. Omelettes and eggs.

Ergo, I see SIN's claims to own Fellandire as a necessary step towards creating this kind of area. Some say SIN is throwing its weight around for the sake of bullying, but I think they're just folks who want to play the game in a way that is demonised by the majority. Whether rightly or wrongly is not mine to question.

So, first of all you drive away those who clearly would not suit the playstyle being encouraged here. Then you make it abundantly clear via profile advertising, forum posts, GC presences and any other means you can that players who comes to this area should expect this kind of playstyle.

Then you say: but SIN are a large alliance with a ton of experience. Who in their right minds would settle down there just to have their teeth kicked in?

I can't speak for them, but I assume they enjoy competition as much as anyone else. What we need to do is clear space to plant seeds for burgeoning PvP-oriented players and alliances who can take things up a notch. Where we can pool military players, share knowledge and have a good laugh from our collective thrones as we send our poor mooks to their deaths.

We need to make an active effort to promote an area that is more competitive and hostile, but hopefully a place that values sportsmanship and the thrill of the hunt more than getting overly upset and pulling the MAD card that leaves many players disillusioned with the game.
Sooo +1

I'd like to address a couple of points made in this post and make a couple of my own while I'm at it. 

The Hashashin alliance has recently, publicily declared a policy of land claims. The Jejune authored op-ed on this policy is a great read and well worth your time. Below I've quoted a section of Shûl-nak's post that specifically refers to that policy:

"Some say SIN is throwing its weight around for the sake of bullying, but I think they're just folks who want to play the game in a way that is demonised by the majority." -  Shûl-nak

I'm not so sure this "demonisation" is a majority issue. I believe that tendency may have been more prevalent in the past (I doubt it's ever been a majority beyond the vocal) but now there are certainly a preponderance of players who have expressed that they are quite happy to let SIN do as they wish, within the limits of their strengths, whatever those might be. 

"I can't speak for them, but I assume they enjoy competition as much as anyone else. What we need to do is clear space to plant seeds for burgeoning PvP-oriented players and alliances who can take things up a notch. Where we can pool military players, share knowledge and have a good laugh from our collective thrones as we send our poor mooks to their deaths." - Shûl-nak

To "clear space" would no doubt initiate conflict in a distinctly negative manner, however, in The Broken Lands there are still vast amounts of space and because of that, we (those of us interested in such) can build a society of alliances with a culture of like minded individuals to do exactly what Shûl-nak is proposing.

I am of the opinion that this strategy will decrease conflict as opposed to increasing it, especially when it can be carried out unopposed by "do-gooders" and publicized well enough to limit the number of disinterested players inadvertently sending in settlements.

Below is a quote that illustrates this (Mal Motsha is a region where a famous but poorly executed land claim took place in Illyriad's storied past):

"The case for land claims is often characterized by its detractors as being a pretext to create conflict. While that may have been the case with Mal Motsha, in this new era of Illyriad, land claim policies should be seen as the opposite; by implementing a buffer in and around a defined region, such a policy limits the occasion for conflict over grapes, herbs, minerals, and skins, as well as optimal settlement spots." - Jejune

I believe this is generally the point of claiming land in RL and I see no reason it can't be carried out, given claimants with reasonable motives and adequate time to carry it out minus any sort of interference from third parties who have no vested interest.
Bonfyr Verboo
Beyljr View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beyljr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 15:35
Everyone has an area where they will not let people settle. For instance I doubt any of you would allow me to place my city 1 square away from yours without a conflict ensuing. So the whole question about land claims is not whether or not there is an area, but how big that area is, and how someone might know where it is. I.e. not if, but how.

Before land claims, if you wanted to setup an area anywhere in Illy where you could group your alliance together, you would have to guess where. There was no place that you could go and do that and "know" that you would not be stepping on anyone's toes and get into trouble.

Land claims allow people to know where it is safe for them to grow their alliance. A land claim is a two edged sword. By making a land claim, the alliance is saying "it is not safe here" something that already existed anyway, but they are publicly saying that "it is safe there". So now any alliance that wishes to find a spot, can, whereas before land claims that was near impossible.

If two neighbors disagree on where a border should be, they can still resolve it via struggle, but atleast both now know where the other one thinks it should be. So there is the possibility to co-exist in peace if people want. And this in no way limits PVP or alliance vs alliance playing either.

Now enters the people that say in effect, "we don't live near you, so we should have no business dictating what goes on there, but we are going to force you all to live there by our desires and rules" signed the freedom fighters. But how can forcing everyone else to live by rules that they don't want, be "freedom"? They may use the term "freedom fighters" but they aren't fighting for freedom, they are fighting for the right to rule all of Illy by their own rules and dictates. They are in effect making a land claim of all of Illy, and saying in effect that they have the right to decide who can move where in any part of Illy. They might not call their land claim a land claim, and they might not have added it to Jejune's map, but it is a land claim none the less, just like a rose by any other name is still a rose. Why not let the people rule themselves and guide their own doings? Isn't that true freedom?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic