illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

20% Club

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ajqtrz View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ajqtrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20% Club
    Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 03:17
We've all been very good at making great suggestions to the dev's regarding how to change and improve the game.  And the devs have been working hard to give us what we want because that's what good companies do...they give the customers what they want.  So why do we not have everything for which we have asked?  Because, and this may shock you....it costs a lot of money to program anything.

As a programmer who has been programming for really big companies for a long time I can tell you it's very, very hard to get things working correctly.  And since all the people at Illyriad have bills to pay, there is only so many hours they can devote to it.  So here's my suggestion.

Let those of you who want the game to improve sign this pledge to spend 20% more this year than last on this game.  For me that adds up to a few dollars a month.  To you, maybe more, maybe less.  The point is, Illy is a GREAT game and if we want it to continue to grow, we need to take  responsibility for it's success.  And that simply means, spend more.

Now if you are wondering, nobody at the game office has contacted me to say this.  This is not a paid advertisement coming down from the head office. It's just one pretty much anonymous player asking my fellow players to make a pledge so that we all benefit in the long run with more improvements at a faster pace.

Let me know what you think.  I'm certain it will be interesting.

AJ
Jane DarkMagic View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jane DarkMagic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 06:40
I have quit spending money on the game entirely, and I will only spend money again when they invite moka back.
ajqtrz View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajqtrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 22:52
Well, I'm glad you have taken a strong stance, JaneDarkMagic.  Still, it seems to me that unless you get a lot more support for your position all you are doing is hurting the current players.  In my opinion the last thing any company does is make up for lost support by taking it out of their own pockets.  Usually they just forgo some aspect of support, development or whatever.  Which means the only people really getting hurt by such an approach are the players.

But, nevertheless, I do admire your determination.  I only hope I can be as determined to get people to raise their contributions.

AJ
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 23:02
I'm not convinced, nor have I seen any statement from the developers to the effect, that us spending more money will in any way speed up the development process.  It seems intuitively that it should, but there may be other things that are holding the process back, such as the difficulties of what started as a small company hiring and managing more people effectively.

I am not saying that people should not buy prestige.  Buy it, use it, enjoy the game.  But I do question the underlying assumption that spending more money will speed development (and/or make development more diverse, allow the developers to pursue additional paths, etc.).

That said, buy prestige and support Illy!
ajqtrz View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajqtrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 23:14
Good point!  You may be right...but then again, if I were running a company and players voluntarily started chipping in more, I'd make sure to encourage that behavior by putting that little extra into development.   Smart people built Illy and they will continue to be just as smart as they were when they started.  So I think we can take our chances.

Besides, 20% is not a big risk for most of us.

Thanks for your response.

AJ
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic