FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I Want To See My Cities on Map

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Want To See My Cities on Map
    Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 08:26
I'd like to be able to see just my cities on the strategic map.  Other people may have more of a spatial sense than I do, but I struggle to figure out which city is more central, which is more eastern, etc.  It would be cool to be able to check just "my cities" on the strategic map, as well as the current town, giving a better idea of the geographic relationship between the cities.
Darkwords View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkwords Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 09:37
We used to be able to do this I also wish we still could.  It seems odd that we can see city placement for entire alliances, but not for our own account, or other peoples accounts for that matter.
<Deranzin> I'd agree with darkone on that

[21:59]<ropadope> you know I am perverted

<Bartleby> dark is upsetting some peeps
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 21:24

Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 23:20
Thank you Alba, that really helps me understand.  I don't think I'd realized that Gloriana was so far east.

You rock!
Diva View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 00:11
Where'd that map come from / tool?  
"Um diva.... you are sort of acting like a .... diva...." - PhoenixFire
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 02:16
I meant to put this in the Suggestions forum.  Luna, can you move it?  Or Alba can tell us how he did that, and it can stay here.
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 12:40
How? Parsing the datafile_towns data history, and making it accessible in a HTML5/Canvas/JavaScript interface. I guess similar tools exist in most of the top-10 alliances.

Alternatively, you could feed X|Y points into a spreadsheet, and put them on an X/Y scatter graph. Add other locations that are meaningful, to give them context.
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 13:34
Originally posted by Darkwords Darkwords wrote:

It seems odd that we can see city placement for entire alliances, but not for our own account, or other peoples accounts for that matter.
I think that's because the dots are pre-rendered images that are overlayed on the map (filenames like /Content/img/strategic/alliances/blue-153.png). To do this regularly as a batch task, for each alliance, it fairly trivial, but doing it for all players has two difficulties:
  • It would take a long time to generate the 100,000+ images required to cover all players;
  • Assuming this is done, then making this accessible in the UI is trivial for showing "my towns", but the interface for adding other players to the map would take significant time to develop.
  • It's likely that you'd want to save or remember maps too, which adds complexity.
For any significant enhancement to this view, it becomes cheaper to rewrite it all in HTML5/Canvas/JS.
Diva View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 20:47
/me nodz with not one single brain cell firing.

BUT does thank the contributor of this meaningful info for those that can decipher it.
and adds, no need to break it down for me.. a task that could be futile in it's attempt anyway. LOL.. it's ok.

Diva

Edited by Diva - 30 Jan 2014 at 20:50
"Um diva.... you are sort of acting like a .... diva...." - PhoenixFire
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic