Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTown Distribution on the map?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: How have you positioned your multiple towns on your map?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [32.26%]
5 [16.13%]
16 [51.61%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Town Distribution on the map?
    Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 09:41
I guess I could analyse the map data, but thought I'd invite comment from players to make it more interesting.

No poll is complete without comments, so...

What are the factors that made you decide how to arrange your cities? Some inspiration:
  1. Clustering for benefit of spells
  2. Clustering for easy resource re-supply
  3. Clustering for mutual defence
  4. Semi-clustered, to be near others in the same alliance
  5. Semi-clustered because I didn't want to wait long for my settlers to land on their target.
  6. Distributed, so at least some cities are not immediatately vulnerable to an all-out attack
  7. Distributed, to catch more trade offers
  8. Distributed, to be near more tournament squares
  9. "Er, I just clustered because I noticed someone else do it, but I have a few outliers when I found it limiting..."
Sisren View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 10:41
mine are within a distance that I thought if needed I could help defend myself within a timely manner.
bansisdead View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 15:52
Mine are all located in one area MM, a few clustered and a few outliers.  The first 4 factors kind of apply, but were not reasons for city placement (as these are all reasons why the Dominion occupy MM).  My main reason for the location is it's BSH policy, the reason I have a cluster and outliers is because of the lack of decent space around my cluster.  Well one of my outliers was placed near a river as I was hoping rivers/boats/pathfinding thing would be implemented soon.
Nesse View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 16:18
Distributed. But not according any of the reasons 6-8. My main reason was to be close to different points of interest. Additional advantages discovered along the way is that I always have a town not that far from any player needing support, and that running a distributed alliance is easier if you are reasonably close to it. I must admit it is annoying when I accidentally send harvesters from the wrong town and they are gone for over a week, returning with nothing.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 18:36
I would characterize my cities as "clustered with some breathing room."  I started my city placement before the introduction of geo towers, but even so I mostly tried to avoid having my cities more than 100 squares from my capital -- which means a span of about 200 squares in any direction.

I have also tried to have "twin cities" in which I have at least two and sometimes 3 cities within about 20 squares of each other.  Far enough apart so that they don't have sov conflicts, close enough together that they can easily reinforce each other and share advanced resource buildings as well as harvesters.  This means I can kill from one city and harvest parts from another, for example, giving me more flexibility.

I have found it helpful to have a city in a different region (Laoshin) because the wildlife is different; for example there are no elementals in Tamarin but there are elementals in Laoshin.
Llyr View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 22:00
My towns, and my alt's towns, are all clustered fairly tightly in Ragallon. I did that for two main reasons: easier defence and ease of moving resources and crafted items (since I tend to specialize individual towns for different things). I had that intention when I first started the game, long before I joined Aesir. But it's also an unforeseen bonus that Aesir is clustered in Ragallon as well.

Arakamis View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 23:15
Mine are, for the moment, semi-clustered but my plan is to move the outlier ones in one area for the reasons stated in items 1 - 3. Plus, advanced resource distribution among cities.

Actually, if anyone is interested in switching a city in Ragallon with another one in Keppen or Norweld, please contact me in-game. :)
Halithore View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2013 at 02:28
I'm similar to Rill in that they're spread out at most around 150/200 but in small clusters for the most part and all within geo range of one central one.

For a pessimist i'm pretty optimistic
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic