Topic ClosedHTTPS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Josephus the IV View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Topic: HTTPS
    Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 20:37
I have been travailing and using several unsecured networks (motels, restaurants).  The ability to use https would be nice.
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 23:28
Anyone who does that a lot should use a VPN service or learn how to set up a private VPN from home.  Not saying encryption support is a bad idea, but it's a non-trivial cost for something of very limited value for this context, and there will always be many sites/services that fail to support it.

It's an unfortunate issue, because there's no reason for encryption to have any expense at all, when it's secure identification that requires the expensive vetting industry and browsers are going out of their way to tightly associate the two without any decent reason.  Anonymous encryption (unsigned certificates) makes sites seem very unprofessional just because the browsers scream bloody murder as if the act of encrypting traffic automatically means users are sharing banking info with Kenya.  Why pay a yearly fee to prove I'm not Kenya when I'm not asking for any sensitive data?
"Apparently, quoting me is a 'thing' now."
- HonoredMule
Llyorn Of Jaensch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2011 at 00:47
Originally posted by HonoredMule HonoredMule wrote:

encrypting traffic automatically means users are sharing banking info with Kenya.  Why pay a yearly fee to prove I'm not Kenya when I'm not asking for any sensitive data?

Antikenyanite.

I'll be laughing last when my bank requests a 400 mile marathon in replacement of my usual fee's n charges.
"ouch...best of luck."
HonoredMule
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic