Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Unlocking Cities"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 04:52
You keep insisting that this proposal somehow removes the consequences of 'bad' actions by removing the ability for players to get totally smashed?

The fact is this is blatantly not true - for the third or fourth time I'll remind you that ALL of the consequences for actions will still be exactly the same - I.E. the total destruction of a player's account... this is not some little joke or minor annoyance.... this is months/years of micromanagement account growth we are talking about... when a player loses ALL of that in a couple of days of war how is it a bad thing that they might be able to save a small amount of effort in rebuilding when they already face a choice between months/years of micromanagement to get where they were before or quitting?

You claim you get singled out for objecting to PvP - nobody cares that you don't want to be involved in PvP - that is your choice - what perhaps I care about is that you are extremely voiciferous against everything that might be done to encourage more pvp among those who might want it. Why does it bother you so much?

You say it is pvpers faults that there is hardly ever pvp in Illy? How is it a PvPers fault that the game is designed to offer almost nothing for successful conflict and to offer complete and utter annihilation for failure?

But now Rill I stop arguing with you about this. It is enough already and I don't like just 2 people dominating one thread.

Edited by Createure - 29 Dec 2011 at 05:11
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 04:56
Please stop personalizing the discussion.  It is not about me.

I think whether a person quits or rebuilds is a deeply personal decision that has more to do with their overall experience of Illy and their individual life circumstances rather than this particular game mechanic.  Therefore each person should make the decision that is right for him or her at that time.

Edited by Rill - 29 Dec 2011 at 04:57
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 05:12
Sorry I was editing that before you posted, not sure what exactly you were referring to.

But I agree lets not make this personal, we have already both made our opinions abundantly clear.
Mandarins31 View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 12:31

For me, Createure's idea is pretty fair. Currently, a player who is totally wiped out just restarts with a 0 pop capitale, and with the research kept; that is not so much help, either a reward of the hard work he brought in the game during so many time.

I personnally lost a great amount of population in this game, and im glad none of my cities were destroyed so i can still develop myself with 9 cities, while i currently really dont have the pop requirements to have these 9 cities. So i truely understand and feel this idea of unlocking cities.
In my opinion, once a player got the gratitude of King Sigurd for his bravour and his talent, and the authorisation to build an other city, he should keep the prestige of this achievement during all his game experience, even if his cities are destroyed.
And anyway, if all of his cities are destroyed, he would have to wait for months before he can settle all of his cities again, as 1 settler takes 4 days to build.

Imo, we could even imagine ghost cities. When a city of a player has been Razed, he could still have that city in his city list, as a ghost city: all the physical structure of that city has been destroyed, but not everyone is dead. These people have the immaterial property of that city, meaning its knowledge and its name. So, following that idea, a player would see his dead cities in his list (0 pop; no location), and would have the option to settle that city where he wants, with no other requirements than waiting for some days. Capitale would still automatically resettle somewhere randomly if all cities were razed. These resettled cities would restart from the dust, but with the research they had when they were wiped out.
With that, losing some cities is still a very hard blow... but i think it would give wiped players some more hope and some more fun. Who would continue to play while being totally razed in the current game conditions? As HM said, only players who have an important place in Illy and many friends would hang around to see how things are going and give some intellectual help... but no much pop rushing for most...

Edited by Mandarins31 - 30 Dec 2011 at 12:37
Brids17 View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 17:37
Just so I understand, you would still need settlers in order to rebuild the cities correct? That would still be 144 days or just under 5 months in order to produce the settlers needed to resettle 10 cities. If they implementing something like they it'd be awesome if they made it so you keep the research of your capital no matter which city was last, something they have said they were going to change over a year ago and still haven't. I wonder where this kind of stuff falls on the priority list...

Anyway, seems like a great idea to me. I've been waiting for them to implement something to lessen the effects of losing your cities for a long time now. 

HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 17:57
Something to keep in mind is that if cities were permanently unlocked, then a player could recover a lot faster by capturing 9 cities after sufficiently building up the first to be siege-capable.  It would however still be many months before all those demolished and captured cities were rebuilt, moved, re-focused, etc.  Also, settling cities would take less than 144 days because it wouldn't be (relatively) long after city 2 was founded that it could start producing settlers as well, then city 3 could do the same shortly after that, and so on.  The player could probably have 10 cities founded within 90 days using either tactic.  It would simply still be a very long road or a lot of friendly support+prestige to build those cities up and have a strong empire again.  And there's simply no shortcut to rebuilding high-level commanders, armies, and sovereignty holdings whatsoever.

Edited by HonoredMule - 30 Dec 2011 at 17:59
"Apparently, quoting me is a 'thing' now."
- HonoredMule
shadow View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 18:12
Great idea! (late poster..lol) As a regular prestige purchaser, the thought of starting completely over makes me uneasy. Although i mainly use it for van boosting nowadays, i would completely stop purchasing if this were to happen. I too would "lull" around or quit entirely.  I would argue that, between settler build time (although capturing towns is an option), and complete loss of months/ years of work, anyone would be punished enough. (yes, i said anyone) It's not a big advantage, but some incentive to keep veterans from walking away from the game in droves.

Edited by shadow - 30 Dec 2011 at 18:15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic