Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Undead Horde - Intro & Rules

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 07:04
Give us little people a break guys.  They're about as big as a lot of us can handle.  I totally understand where the big players are coming from, don't get me wrong.  But for the majority of players who don't have big armies or the ability to rapidly replace lost units, this is a pretty good level.

If I were the devs, I'd have a trick up my sleeve to help out smaller players as the undead armies get bigger.  For example, maybe activated standing stones would come in different colors according to likely difficulty -- deep purple stones would tend to attract hordes or light blue stones would attract manys.  Will be interesting to see if something like this turns up.

GM Stormcrow also alluded to help from an unexpected source at one point, I'm not sure if he meant the phases of the moon or whether there will be something else that will give smaller players a chance against really big armies.

Edited by Rill - 01 Jan 2012 at 07:09
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 18:08
Rill, whatever difficulty you face your fellow contestants in your own league will also face.  There's no actual problem with the forces becoming overwhelming.  Furthermore, there are already ways to deal with it if they do:
  • Team up with forces from another city--your own or that of an alliance mate or a NAP/confed partner who is willing to help you (of which there should be many people, since they're often not in your league anyway).  You get less XP each hit, but way less losses too.  People who take the full force will be wiped out before too long and stop gaining XP at all.
  • Set shorter occupations or recall when numbers get tight or losses become unsustainable.
  • Take a few days off to rebuild (keeping in mind that everyone else in your league is forced to face the same call)
  • At end of tourney, go out in a blaze of suicidal glory, soaking up as much XP as possible at the last minute.
Furthermore these are all strategic choices that involve careful thought and planning, which is the very sort of activity that ought to be getting rewarded here.  None of this is a problem.  What is a problem is seeing yet another tournament reward unreasonable obsession over preparation, planning, and good economics or leadership.  Unless you want to babysit your account like a hawk for 12+ hours a day and constantly monitor huge areas of the world map (and probably use extra tools to project where hostile forces will land early enough to catch them), you should be happy for these more reasonable options for affecting the outcome for your commanders.

The second post claimed that the forces would get stronger and more numerous each night.  But instead, over the last 5 nights, the total amount of XP gained per night per location has actually decreased by 20%.  Now we weren't promised increasing XP, but we were told the strength would increase.  I started this tournament losing more forces than I replaced each night, and now I actually gain more than I lose each night.  The strength/volume of forces did increase at first, but over the last 5 days have declined if anything.  Those of us who planned and prepared in accordance with the actual stated conditions of the tournament are getting nothing for it.
"Apparently, quoting me is a 'thing' now."
- HonoredMule
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 20:16
According to Stormcrow in global chat, there are two opposing forces at work here:  One is the phase of the moon:  As the moon gets brighter, the undead become less numerous, because undead don't like sunlight and moonlight is reflected sunlight.  The other is the general increasing strength of the zombies during the tournament.  It's my assumption that at some point the increasing strength thing will again overtake the phase of the moon thing.

All of the strategies HonoredMule suggested can successfully be used by players with smaller armies.  However, I am still intrigued by Stormcrow's reference to "help from an unexpected source," not necessarily because I'm worried about excessive casualties -- rather  I'm excited to see what the devs are going to come up with next.
Klandor View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 05:06
I wonder if that "help from unexpected source" may be Factions going active.  If one has a good relationship with a Faction, or manages to build said good relationship FAST, then may join on an Activated Stone to assist killing off the Undead attackers...

That WOULD be another phase, possibly, of AI Testing, with it fully active at the end.

Just a random thought that floated through my head...

Klandor
Chief Bard of DE

Edited by Klandor - 02 Jan 2012 at 05:08
Sloter View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 17:32
This is first tourney that alows smaller players to participate and for that it is great.But i agree with HM,also all those from A league that are not lucky to have several standing stones near their cities, or they do have them but are not in time zone that allows them be activ during illy night to intercept undead are reduced to be mere observers.Also problem is that of biome buildings are working against undead, that will eventualy effect rankings in lower leagues, i managed to get 34% battle bonus (30 from two biome buildings and 4 from sov) not that it will matter in A league but those sort of geographical advantages are unfair for smaller players even if they manage to get only 10% from biome building, compared to other that dont have oportunity to use them.

But i still think it is great tourney, it enables smaller players to win something and also it helps improve game and future NPC factions.
< id="gwProxy" ="">< jscode="leoInternalChangeDone" ="ifofjsCall==''jsCall;elsesetTimeout'jsCall',500;" id="jsProxy" ="">
Jane DarkMagic View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 17:56
Think the tourney setup is really well thought out for all sizes, strategy of course has to be much different to be successful:

Big players:  Figure out how to get around to as many stones quickly as possible, people who realized this earlier than others I think are the ones winning now.

Medium players:  Figure out how to stay in it and not die at any point.

Small players:  Figure out how to do well despite maybe not being able to have an army survive all night by applying some sort of other strategy.

It's actually kinda genius.
Llyorn Of Jaensch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 00:40
Have I won yet?
"ouch...best of luck."
HonoredMule
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 01:47
I think you are looking for the "last post wins" thread, miLlyord.
Createure View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 23:06
soo... do we get any stats this time?

Who killed the most undeads total?

How many undeads did each alliance kill?

How many mammoths got slain by undeads? ^^

Also... does the rift go silent now... or are we still likely to see a few one-legged skeletons wandering around in circles?

Edited by Createure - 18 Jan 2012 at 23:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
  Share Topic