Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chasing war runners the WRONG way

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lumelthien View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lumelthien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 16:32
I should add that I don't believe that the "effectiveness" of this policy should be measured by whether or not war-running is eliminated or even reduced.

I believe, rather, that the true goal of this policy was to project intimidation and ruthlesness and power. This in turn had a certain strategic value, and the various debates that arose about this policy became a useful and unintended means of propaganda: the projection was perpetuated and impacted the player base.

Edited by Lumelthien - 11 Sep 2018 at 16:32
digiosox View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digiosox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 13:57

On the Pursuit Policy from Laga's post "This exactly mirrors SIN's own policy."

That is the part I find confusing -- on one hand Laga and friends complain about how terrible SIN is to have this policy. On the other they carry it out themselves.

If this becomes your policy, how does that make mCrow any different from the warmongering SIN alliance? SIN murderers babies so we are going to murder babies in retaliation until they individually surrender. It is baffling behavior.

However, if you intend to take SINs place in Illy as the warmongering types, then this totally makes sense. If you intend to be "peaceful" what benefit do you get by pursuing the exact same warmonger policy of an alliance with goals you reject?

It would make more sense to me to serve as an example of the ideals you claim to represent...

scottfitz View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote scottfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 17:24
To be like SIN, we would have to attack otherwise peaceful alliances, we are not now nor will ever be that sort of alliance. Any issue we have is with specific individuals who have attacked us without warrant. We are not adopting SIN's policy, we are holding their former members to the policy they imposed against us.
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 18:43
So from this comment I take it your alliance will keep japping at Josh's heels then? If thats the case then I guess we will have to keep doing what we am doing then. We have reached out to Laga to end this but if you persist in this dead-end behavior we will be more than willing to continue. Its what we do. The olive branch has been extended to your alliance numerous times yet each time you guys just use it to fuel the fire. The ball is in your court. You can either end it or keep having incoming at your Newlands cities and watch your Elgean cities burn.

You say you want peace but then also know that until you end your hostilities we will not either. There is no way you guys can even dream of following SIN policy effectively unless we all go inactive, so why not just accept the peace and get on with your peaceful ways?

I for one will cease all hostilities against your alliance as soon as you guys want actual peace. Like Fiona, I have been at war for 4 years now and actually might enjoy the crafting and gathering aspect of the game for a change.
Kaggen is my human half
digiosox View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digiosox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 20:38
Originally posted by scottfitz scottfitz wrote:

We are not adopting SIN's policy, we are holding their former members to the policy they imposed against us.

The purpose of SIN's pursuit policy was to deal with people start hostilities then run away once things got rough only to continue the conflict at a more advantageous time.

That is the question you face. If you believe the people you intend to pursue are simply biding their time to attack you again, then by all means you should act to achieve your goals -- presumably to prevent their attack.

So I will let you in on a (not) secret. As an alliance SIN has reached its conclusion. The main reason SIN stopped fighting mCrow is because nobody really cared enough to continue. No real hatreds. No scores to settle. No techniques to try. Eventually SIN looked around the room, sighed, and said "screw it, why bother". This lead to more introspection and alliance leadership abdicated out of apathy. Nobody else wanted to take the reigns and poof! the alliance ended.

So right now is a decision point for you. Nobody in SIN really cared enough to continue the fight so you are not under threat. Nobody is waiting for a good time to strike (otherwise they would not have stopped in the first place).

You have your olive branch in hand; will you keep it or burn it?

Dessembrae View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dessembrae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 06:49
I hate repeating myself but it seems I ll have to....
blah blah blah
AKA Agalloch The Rude
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic