Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I am curious about what YOU think.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Should we be allowed more accounts per player?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
169 [48.15%]
14 [3.99%]
87 [24.79%]
70 [19.94%]
7 [1.99%]
4 [1.14%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
OssianII View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OssianII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 11:01

Grasshopper: "Old Man? How is it that you know this?
Shaolin Master: "Young Man? How is it that you do not know this ? Geek
Bill Cipher View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Cipher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 18:46
Originally posted by eowan the short eowan the short wrote:

Originally posted by kodabear kodabear wrote:

i love how somehow 142 people votes in this poll

Multiaccounters!

Actually,

not multi accounters well i guess it would be a way but not efficient, you see the poll doesn't limit you to just one vote.
d-a-r-o-r-w-o pb wlph kdv frph wr exuq. l lqyrnh wkh dqflhqw srzhu wkdw l pdb uhwxuq
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 16:09
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

As a point of history, I believe Tenaril was first invented when the map was changed.  (Enlarged? It happened before my time.)  The point of the initial Tenaril spell was if people didn't like their positioning on the new map (such as they were now in the middle of water) they could change it.  Then later Tenaril was limited to just the capital city.

Perhaps someone who was here during that time or one of the developers could comment on the reasoning and application of Tenaril initially.

Hey Rill,

Yes, I can confirm that Tenaril's Spell of Ultimate Teleportation was introduced in 2010, specifically to allow players to relocate their cities because we completely changed the world map.

The world map was originally entirely randomly generated; there were no biomes, forests, mountain ranges, jungles, deserts, water, steppes etc.  Each tile was un-related to the nearby tiles, and you could just as easily have a volcano next to a forest next to grassland next to a hill.

By way of example, here's a nostalgia-inducing screenshot from Illy v1!

And here's the Northern border of elgea, ever so subtly blended into the grasslands below.

What we did to change the map - to actually produce naturalistic-looking terrain - was generate a set of Gaussian and Perlin noise algorithms with varying seeds, to generate topographical height maps, and then assign them terrains.

Here's the topographical height map we originally generated:

Overlaid on top of this noise map were seas...

... Rivers (which were laboriously hand drawn onto the map to follow a basic flow direction from higher grounds to the sea)...

... and the application of biomes (using the WWF classification system running from Polar Ice Sheet through Tundra and Taiga, from Subtropical Dry Broadleaf Forests through to Xeric Shrublands and Desert)...

Finally, hand-drawn regions were overlaid.  

I found a first draft of this, including some regions names that never made it such as Erra (Ursor), Beirwan (Windlost), Parl (Ragallon), misplaced Ragallon (now Kal Tirikan), Qul (Kul Tar) and the wonderfully creative and mysterious "Elven Name" (Lan Larosh), "Orcish Name" (Mal Motsha) and "Dwarven Name" (Tor Carrock)...

Finally, rough faction placements were overlaid:

So anyway... we went from a random hodge-podge map (of the Travian-ilk) to an actual proper map; but felt it critical to allow all the existing players to move their cities to preferred locations - hence the Tenaril spell; allowing players to keep their underlying terrain.  We didn't have sovereignty at this time, so moving the city resource allocation only worked fine.

Once all the moves were done, we left a single-use Tenaril in place for each account's Capital City, simply because we felt players might wish to change their mind about a chosen location (this was pre-exodus!)

Terraforming was an unanticipated side-effect.

Hope that sheds some light!

Best,

SC

EDIT: Typo

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 22 Mar 2018 at 17:03
Neytiri View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neytiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 06:08
Two accounts is plenty.  
"It is well that their bodies know the heat and the cold; it will make them strong warriors and mothers." - Absaroke elder (from Edward S. Curtis's book 'The North American Indian')
Thexion View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thexion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 08:37
Norwald has turned to Norweld? Wald being too german?
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 05:24
Thanks for the info, GM SC.  Your information is consistent with what I learned in my research as player council geographer, but has much more detail.  Iirc, animals appeared after the terrain change so ... was there an ark during the flood?  Or was that unnecessary?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic