Topic ClosedGame Time Clock Discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Illyriad Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Game Time Clock Discussion
    Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 11:01
Scene opens over a Bladerunner-esque cityscape - a commercial apocalypse version of London in 2025.

The camera pans over the skyscrapers to a large ziggurat labelled "Illyriad Global Corp" in mile-high neon-letters, before zooming slowly up to an illuminated window, high in the peak of the pyramid.

Through the glass, inside a room dominated by vast computer monitors and 3-D holgraphic displays of the Kingdom of Illyriad, GM's ThunderCat and Stormcrow sit at either ends of a 20-ft long boardroom table, deep in a discussion about the future direction of Illyriad.

ThunderCat continues his last point.

"Stormcrow, I do understand the need to turn Orcs into a race of intergalactic space aliens... and I guess we can run with your idea for a 'Win All Battles' Prestige spend option as well... but the consensus is that your plan to merge 'Illyriad' into 'Hello Kitty Online' might be a step too far... 

Research shows that the playerbase don't want a world of sunshine, rainbows and doe-eyed puppies!"

Responding wearily, Stormcrow speaks slowly.

"After our merger the interface will be in Japanese; the players won't actually know what's going on anyway. 

So will they even care that we replaced Siege Engines with roaming bands of mischievous pixies who spread huggle-points to everyone on the map?"

A brief silence.

"Well, if it must be done... then it must be done." says ThunderCat, his face a mask of dismay. 

"But how will we break the news to the players? 

The forums will go mental!"

A much longer silence, punctuated only by the pendulous raindrops hitting the glass roof of the pyramid's apex, a nexus above their heads. 

Stormcrow's fingers tap the boardroom table as he wonders how they can slip this past the players.

And then suddenly, the moment of clarity is visible in his deep-set eyes.

"I have it!  This just might work...!" he says, punching the air with his fist.

"We publish all the changes on the Announcements section of the forum..."

ThunderCat's harsh bark of laughter interrupts Stormcrow's sentence.

Raising a hand for silence, Stormcrow continues on.

"But at the same - and this is the clever bit...

We make a post a few seconds later in the Suggestions Forum...

Saying that we are going to change the server clock and unit arrival times to Daylight Savings Time."

Moments pass - an eon stretched out in seconds - as a visibly shaken ThunderCat stares at Stormcrow as if he had sprouted wings and flown out of the window.

"But... but..." he stammers.  And pauses, as it suddenly dawns on him, too.

"But... that's genius!" he shouts joyously at this Deus Ex Machina.

"The Playerbase don't seem to care particularly about anything we do to the game unless it involves the server clock! 

Just look at the forum!

From the introduction of Siege Warfare to the nerfing of diplomatic units, from new spell schools to graphic patches, from map icons to, well, anything and everything we do - no single topic has received so many posts and attention from the users than the apparently crucial issues of how the server clock displays itself onscreen!

Simply by starting a topic with the word "time" or "clock" in it, we can slip every change we've ever wanted - no matter how mad and ill-conceived it might be - under the radar and no one will ever notice it!

Wait till we introduce a discussion about whether or not to recognise leap seconds: the thread could run forever!

This is genius!"

Basking in the euphoric glow of brilliance, Stormcrow and ThunderCat crack open a well deserved bottle of 1952 Petrus and guzzle it down, marvelling at their new understanding of what makes Illyriad's players quite literally "tick".

-------

We return you to your previous scheduled service, below:

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 10 Apr 2010 at 14:19
Larry View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 01:15
@12hr clock: From my eve experience at least 24hr clocks offer a pretty easy, unambiguous means by which to ensure everyone from all different TZ is on the same page, not entirely sure what the benefit of the 12hr clock would be other than conceivably minor aesthetics.

Other than that, it looks like a very promising list, will be cool to see the game develop.

Edited by Larry - 11 Mar 2010 at 01:16
Diablito View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 01:20
i'm a fan of the 24:00 hour clock myself, makes organicing much easier.
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 02:04
Originally posted by Diablito Diablito wrote:

i'm a fan of the 24:00 hour clock myself, makes organicing much easier.

3rd'd.

GM Gryphon View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 02:34

4thed on the 24hr clock.

Can't wait to see the new female race images... Do the Dwarf women have mustaches?

Edited by GM Gryphon - 11 Mar 2010 at 02:34
bow locks View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 08:18
horror!!!!

The one thing that made we worry on this list was the 12hr clock.

24hrs pls, in agreement with Diablito!!!

(blackberry app)

VERY impressive list, good to see you so dedicated!

(did i mention blackberry app?)

them buggers can use their iphones i believe.
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 08:25
Heh.  The thing is (and I don't mean this as any sort of implied criticism) - many of our cousins across the pond simply do not understand 24hr clock.  We've already had multiple petitions asking us why this game uses "Military Time", and requesting us to change to 12hr.

I guess one option would be to allow style of clock (12 or 24) to be a user-profile-settable option, so people can make (and save) their own preference; and this might be the route we go down.

And no, Dwarf women do not have moustaches.
Diablito View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 08:40
Aye, this much is true...americans do seem to have a problem with counting to 24, despite half of them apparantly being busy invading some middle eastern nation.

How about letting us chose somewhere?
Wuzzel View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 10:07
Thats what SC said Diablito!

I guess one option would be to allow style of clock (12 or 24) to be a user-profile-settable option, so people can make (and save) their own preference; and this might be the route we go down.

Edited by Wuzzel - 11 Mar 2010 at 10:07
Gila View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 20:06
Originally posted by Diablito Diablito wrote:

Aye, this much is true...americans do seem to have a problem with counting to 24, despite half of them apparantly being busy invading some middle eastern nation.

-,-

American, voting for the 24 hour clock...

-,-
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic