illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fresh Water vs Ocean

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Antivirus View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antivirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fresh Water vs Ocean
    Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 11:33
I was told that single sq islands in Calumnex in ocean are unseigeable but that single sq islands in fresh water are seigeable. Is this true and why? What possible difference could it make? Ty.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 23:05
The distinction is not between ocean and fresh water but between ocean squares that are adjacent to settleable land and squares where there is intervening coastal sov.  The ocean squares adjacent to land in Calumnex with no intervening tidal water cannot be sieged from.  

Interestingly enough, they can be occupied by an army, so it is an open question whether the developers intended there to be no sieges possible from those squares, or whether in fact they should not be able to be occupied either.  Since they can be occupied, it seems only logical that it would be possible to place a siege there.  However, it is possible to "occupy" open ocean of that terrain type in Calumnex, so it seems more likely that the ability to occupy such ocean is the oversight, perhaps reflective of the hurried release timeline for Broken Lands.
Antivirus View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antivirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 00:52
A friend of mine had similar questions but he did the obvious thing and tried to send a siege. I didn't think of that but I did try. The isl in fresh water allowed the siege option. The isl in the ocean did not. Both isls were similar in distance from land that can be settled upon. The only dif being ocean vs fresh water. Both towns were non-nap to me. Beats me!

Edited by Antivirus - 08 Jan 2017 at 04:31
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 07:31
It pretty simple guys. Do not over think it. You can set up a siege on shallow beaches much like you could do if Illy were in the real world. Same applies for the deeper water. You will sink and thus you cannot siege from it.
Kaggen is my human half
Antivirus View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antivirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 05:55
If it is that simple then all fresh water is shallow because I tried several faux sieges to fresh and all allowed placement of the engines. I tried the same thing in ocean water and none allowed placement of engines. That's all I know.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic