Topic ClosedFreelance Web Design

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shrapnel View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Freelance Web Design
    Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 02:54
A company recently told me they would like their website updated and asked how much I would charge to do it.  I have never done contracter or freelance work.  I don't know how much to charge.  I have a BS in Computer Science and I have about 1-2 years of expierence.  Anyone have advice on how much I should charge?
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2010 at 03:11
For a job requiring elements of design and functionality (i.e. theme and customized CMS or once-off db and simple front-end + graphic work) I'd charge around $2k as an amateur having only a little more experience than you (3-4 yrs).  For something more static/less flexible, I might go as low as $1k.  But these estimates make "averaged" assumption of the nature of the project and output expected.

For a more generalized estimate, guess how long it will take in days, then assume you'll work 10-hour days, double that product, and you'll have an estimate in man-hours that might actually be close.  Then multiply by what would a reasonable hourly rate if you got hired locally as a junior developer.  You should also note that your profitability (matching reasonable contract price to reasonable wage) depends highly upon your previous experience specifically with web design...not so much due to varying competence, but speed/productivity.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic