FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTerrain testing results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Faldrin View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 19:03
The solution is to use level 0 commanders and pure armies. Also make the assumption that troops not mentioned in the "summery" is not influenced by that kind of terrain.

Yes it is many tests that is why I'm asking if anyone else is doing any testing.

The tests are really easy to do. You should know either the attacking or defending bonus or lack of the same. Then you compare the result with the "expected" and add the "bonus" to the equation so the actual result equals the "expected".

I have found that the bonus is different for attacking with a unit type and defending with a unit type.

Mandarins31 View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 08:46

to reduce the number of tests needed per square, this is important to do pre-tests.

pre-tests to know:

- if attack and defence bonus on a terrain is the same for 1 unit (if i remember, i tested this, and like u i found that the bonus is not the same)

- if simple and advanced units have the same atk/def bonuses on a terrain (didnt test that but i guess they have the same bonus)

- if each race has different bonuses for the same type of unit on a terrain type (i didnt test, but i hope there is no racial bonus, ifnot you need to test all the units for each race)

pre-tests are very important, because depending on what we could learn by these pre-tests, we could need 1024 battles per terrain, or only 6 battles/terrain.

exemple1 : if different bonus for def/atk, different bonus for simple/advanced unit, different bonus for each race: 2 bonus/unit--> *2=4 bonus/ unit type (spearmen, archers..) --> *4=16 bonus/race (without siegeengines) --> *4= 64 total bonus to find --> 64/2=32=number of units to test--> 32*32= 1024 tests/ terrain

exemple2 (the one i right now  think is the good one):
if different bonus for def/atk, same bonus for simple/advanced unit, same bonus for each race:
2 bonus/unit--> *4=8 total bonus to find (no matter which race)-->8/2=4 units to test-->  4*4 = 16 battles/terrain

Faldrin View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 17:20
I have found indications for that t1/t2 do not have the same bonuses. I will test a bit more.

Units do NOT have the same attack and defence bonus on a terrain type.

I don't think the they have implemented race different bonuses (yet).
Nesse View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 16:37
Building:

The close quarter hand-to-hand combat required when fighting in a building is a blessing to the well trained spear or swordsman. Cavalry, however, find it extremely hard to fight here.

Spear and swordsmen find that building fighting is their place to shine. An intimate knowledge of the choke points in a building also somehwat benefits defending bowmen despite their limited arcs of fire. Cavalry detest fighting in and around buildings.

Nesse View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 17:36

Mountainous area:

Even the smaller crags in this mountainous area will hinder attacking cavalry, as well as more heavily armoured swordsmen.

Unlike cavalry - who suffer from the difficulties in mustering a coherent defence in mountainous terrain - defending ranged units find every advantage in the high lookouts and rocky ground.

Nesse View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 17:37

Heavily wooded terrai:

Heavily wooded terrain spells difficulty for ranged units and cavalry. Infantry units find they have a large advantage here.

Like the attackers, these thick forests do not provide much assistance for anyone except your footsoldiers, who take great pleasure in the extra cover afforded to them.

HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 17:40
Originally posted by Faldrin Faldrin wrote:

I have found indications for that t1/t2 do not have the same bonuses. I will test a bit more.

Units do NOT have the same attack and defence bonus on a terrain type.

I don't think the they have implemented race different bonuses (yet).

Early in the game, at least, there was definitely no difference between T1 and T2 for terrain bonuses.  However, the bonuses have always been unique per combination of unit type, terrain, and position (attacking or defending).  So you would have to be very careful to eliminate all of these dependent variables before accurately identifying a new one.  And unfortunately, there is some random factor, which means there's a variable dependent that cannot be eliminated and just be measured statistically over multiple trials before it can be separated from any other unknown factors.
Nesse View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 19:25
For attacking units in mountainous area "Even the smaller crags in this mountainous area will hinder attacking cavalry, as well as more heavily armoured swordsmen."
This seems to imply that heavy infantry is different from light infantry - in mountainous area. Probably no difference in most places...
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 19:43
I wouldn't read too much into that.  I believe the phrase is just describing swordsmen in general, contrasted against cavalry.
Mandarins31 View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 21:26
Originally posted by HonoredMule HonoredMule wrote:

And unfortunately, there is some random factor, which means there's a variable dependent that cannot be eliminated

Well, we can admit this random factor is not that important. if this change something like a maximum of 5% this is not that much and we have anyway a precise idea of the difference of terrain bonus for a batle. Also we could apreciate the amplitude of this random factor by doing the same battle few times.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic