illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sindicate v. Assorted Elgea based Alliances

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
Mafro View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mafro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 05:30
Day 53. Over the last 6 days...:
  • Aesir lost 1 member, 3 towns, and 60k pop
  • Unbow has gained 30k pop
  • EE has lost 1 member and 5 towns, but no change in pop
  • mCrow had gained 1 town but lost 50k pop
  • Hell has lost 2 members, 13 towns, and 330k pop
  • SAINT has gained 33k pop
  • Overall the GA has lost 4 members, 19 towns, and 370k pop
  • Loki has lost 35k pop
  • SIN has gained 8k pop
  • TA2IN has gained 3k pop
  • 300 has gained 6k pop
  • Overall the SINdicate has lost 7k pop
OssianII View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OssianII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 16:13
Hmm... talk about Wars of Attrition.  I can't help thinking that these large scale logistical Wars  contain about as much enjoyment and serve as much purpose as the Battle of Verdun in The Great War.  Is this really what the Warmongers amongst us have been craving.  It is being recorded and reported as an in terminable statistical analysis...

Mon Empereur! Où est l'élan? Où est la joie de vivre? Confused

Edited by OssianII - 29 Jan 2018 at 16:16
“If anyone was to ask for my opinion, which I note they’re not, I’d say we were taking the long way around.”
Gimli son of Gloin.
Mafro View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mafro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 17:03
Originally posted by OssianII OssianII wrote:

Hmm... talk about Wars of Attrition.... It is being recorded and reported as an in terminable statistical analysis...

I have to object to this reporting being characterized as merely an "interminable statistical analysis".

The word "soulless" should be in there somewhere.
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 18:39
There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Yitshak View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yitshak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 19:36
Originally posted by Ten Kulch Ten Kulch wrote:

There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.
and body counts

Remember to be nice to the squirrel.
Eros View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 21:02
37% of statistics are made up
It's late on Ash Wednesday. An Asian teenager in a slammed-out Acura offers you a plate of chicken vindaloo
Mr Damage View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr Damage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 01:57
This has probably been said several times before but all that counts is who’s winning the battles. As a distant observer and from looking at the siege page over time it seems very one sided. The Sindicate is doing the majority of the sieging so I summise that they are winning the attack at the moment. They also seem to break most sieges landed on them so are in front on defence also. Boredom may in the end be their cryptonite.
Tink XX View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink XX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 06:42
Originally posted by Mr Damage Mr Damage wrote:

This has probably been said several times before but all that counts is who’s winning the battles. As a distant observer and from looking at the siege page over time it seems very one sided. The Sindicate is doing the majority of the sieging so I summise that they are winning the attack at the moment. They also seem to break most sieges landed on them so are in front on defence also.

So true! I wish Mafro actually would focus his efforts on collecting that kind of statistics instead of the population stats that are 90% unrelated to anything interesting that's going on. Mafro, the population statistics is boring because it gives you no insight into Illy wars. You could either solicit some battle reports or siege outcome reports from us and our opponents, or at least peruse the siege page of the herald like Mr. Damage suggested. People would actually want to read such reports.

Originally posted by Mr Damage Mr Damage wrote:

Boredom may in the end be their cryptonite.

Well... looks like so far Sindicate has been pretty good at riling up the rest of the server to provide us a steady supply of enemies and entertainment Wink No telling if the trend will hold but we'll keep trying to stir things up!

P.S. as far as entertainment goes, last night's siege on Hobblez was a hoot. Someone give Storm a Beer

Edited by Tink XX - 31 Jan 2018 at 06:42
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 07:46
Originally posted by Tink XX Tink XX wrote:

So true! I wish Mafro actually would focus his efforts on collecting that kind of statistics instead of the population stats that are 90% unrelated to anything interesting that's going on. Mafro, the population statistics is boring because it gives you no insight into Illy wars. You could either solicit some battle reports or siege outcome reports from us and our opponents, or at least peruse the siege page of the herald like Mr. Damage suggested. People would actually want to read such reports.

I've no skill or ability in analysis but I've been looking at possible ways of gathering information about sieges and there are a couple of problems:
  1. 'No automation' rule. This means that any data collected has to be as a result of a user action.
  2. Difficulty in trying to find when a siege ends.
The second problem can be partly overcome by checking the siege page to see if a particular siege is no longer shown however there is no unique identifier for each siege so it is a bit hit and miss. The best that can be achieved is using a combination of target town, attacking player and start date to identify a particular siege. This doesn't allow for multiple sieges by one player (using different towns) on a single target arriving in the same minute. Those would be identified as the same siege meaning that it isn't possible to tell which has ended and which are still ongoing.

The first problem doesn't apply to gathering info from the siege page as the user has to navigate to it - that is counted as a user action. However gathering info from the system posts in GC (which are more complete) does not need any user action so could be taken as automated and therefore not allowed.

Gathering info from both sources does need an account logged in so unlike extracting data from the players datafile cannot be done without user participation to some degree. I can produce user-scripts capable of gathering the available info from both sources (I've got drafts of both already) however my time in Illy is (currently) very limited due to health issues. Previous attempts to get users to submit data to a central server (gathering info about faction encampments and also NPC sightings) were met with a almost complete refusal so any attempt to do the same for this has a very low chance of success.

Getting info direct from the participants is in my opinion flawed - it relies on the complete honesty of all parties concerned and while I'm not implying anything nasty by anyone a common practice in both digital and RL hostilities is the restriction of possibly sensitive information. That could skew the results of any analysis.

If anyone has ideas on how these problems can be overcome please either post them here or send me a FORUM private message. I make no promises but as always I will listen and consider.

Tens
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 13:59
While journalism produces a higher quality of information than statistics, I think that's asking a lot of Mafro. System stats are reliable and available daily. My advice would be to give equal discussion to both population/players/towns and attack/defense stats. Participants can provide commentary if they wish.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
  Share Topic