Topic ClosedThe Newness - 18AUG10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
scaramouche View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Newness - 18AUG10
    Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 17:51
wow...too much info and changes to take all in at once...gonna have to save this post!
Quackers View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 02:56
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Right, the whole incident at the rift, moving NPCs attacking player cities and player armies, the most recent tournament, deployment of combat magic.  That was nothing.

Can I have my armies back?

Wink

P.S.  oh, and migration to another server.  Also nothing.

Do not forget all the unseen work that they were/are doing to the servers to make them more stable. They have done alot, and are working almost everyday if not everyday. You got to remember that to most, this is their full time job.

It sounds like they have come along way on magic but are waiting for the defense magic to get done before they release it. What is the point of releasing attack magic if there is no way to defend yourself from it?

One thing I forget as well, there is alot of..don't want to say pressure, but pressure to get things done. When you say you are working on something, there are people out there that expect it to get done in a heart beat. While on some things that is easy, its hard to know because one small thing they change could break something else or cause something they didn't expect to happen. Not to mention having to test out everything to see if it is well balanced and make sure that it runs as smooth as possible.

And the last thing they released was: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/09dec11-release-notes-apopalypse-now_topic2924.html

I do believe that took alot of planning and testing..along with alot of headaches. XD

Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 01:00
Right, the whole incident at the rift, moving NPCs attacking player cities and player armies, the most recent tournament, deployment of combat magic.  That was nothing.

Can I have my armies back?

Wink

P.S.  oh, and migration to another server.  Also nothing.

Edited by Rill - 31 Jan 2012 at 01:01
Gossip Boy View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 14:16
nothing new has arrived since the T2 buildings......i am desperately waiting for the factions to go live and introduction of the remaining T2 bildings
Olek View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 01:10
Originally posted by Darkwords Darkwords wrote:

Originally posted by Olek Olek wrote:

Sounds Awesome, A bit of PvE for players or Alliances will go a long way to making this game greater.

The only negative, in my opinion, is the selling of Troops, hiring out your troops maybe, but selling off troops who are in actual fact your citizens, who probably have family and such living in your city, who became soldiers to defend their homes, just does seem right.
I think a better substitute would be "Mercenary" unit's, make them less effective than regulars, but more expensive to maintain.

Have you ever heard of the Gurkhas ???

Or how about the British ex-marines fighting in Somalia, there are many reasons good soldiers will sell themselves to a higher paying foreign empire.

Yeah, I've read plenty about the Gurkhas, are you refering to modern day?, where they are free to seek employment in the british army, or 200 years ago when they "were" mercenaries?
Ex-British marines?, once again mercenaries, or if they are fighting for free, it's by their own choice.
Tell me in any of your examples where the rulers of these soldiers have sold them permanently to another nation?
Kilotov of DokGthung View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 16:42
Originally posted by Celebcalen Celebcalen wrote:

Originally posted by Kilotov of DokGthung Kilotov of DokGthung wrote:

tobe more medieval, the swiss hallabardier  mercenaries where know trough whole Europe as fierce and savage fighters that fought for the highest bidder.

They were named Reislaufer meaning "one who goes to war". Warriors of the Swiss cantons who earned their reputation against the Austrian Hapsburg empire of the late 13th century. They were fearsome and disciplined pikeman who were capable of defeating units including Armoured Knights at impossible odds.

So great was their reputation in attack and defence that by the 15th century the The Valous Kings of France considered it impossible to take the field of battle without these Swiss pikeman.

uhmm yes Olek's idea of hiring out units is interesting. Just one thing though , since we have four races it will take some mechanic to ensure that different race units, serving under the same commander, fight at the same unit level. I imagine this has alreay been done with the NPC's Bayne's Irrgulars.

how acculturated!
my respects.
Celebcalen View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 15:54
Originally posted by Kilotov of DokGthung Kilotov of DokGthung wrote:

tobe more medieval, the swiss hallabardier  mercenaries where know trough whole Europe as fierce and savage fighters that fought for the highest bidder.

They were named Reislaufer meaning "one who goes to war". Warriors of the Swiss cantons who earned their reputation against the Austrian Hapsburg empire of the late 13th century. They were fearsome and disciplined pikeman who were capable of defeating units including Armoured Knights at impossible odds.

So great was their reputation in attack and defence that by the 15th century the The Valous Kings of France considered it impossible to take the field of battle without these Swiss pikeman.

uhmm yes Olek's idea of hiring out units is interesting. Just one thing though , since we have four races it will take some mechanic to ensure that different race units, serving under the same commander, fight at the same unit level. I imagine this has alreay been done with the NPC's Bayne's Irrgulars.

Edited by Celebcalen - 15 Nov 2011 at 15:59
Darkwords View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 13:42
Or the Scots Berzerkers, who even sold themselves to the Dutch, when the Dutch were raiding the Scotish coasts.

Anyway,  more on subject I am hoping Crafting is next on the release list.

Apparantly it is wanting for the completion of Trade V2, so it should come before the AI faction release.
Kilotov of DokGthung View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 13:37
to be more medieval, the swiss hallabardier  mercenaries where know trough whole Europe as fierce and savage fighters that fought for the highest bidder.

Edited by Kilotov of DokGthung - 15 Nov 2011 at 16:45
Darkwords View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 13:16
Originally posted by Olek Olek wrote:

Sounds Awesome, A bit of PvE for players or Alliances will go a long way to making this game greater.

The only negative, in my opinion, is the selling of Troops, hiring out your troops maybe, but selling off troops who are in actual fact your citizens, who probably have family and such living in your city, who became soldiers to defend their homes, just does seem right.
I think a better substitute would be "Mercenary" unit's, make them less effective than regulars, but more expensive to maintain.

Have you ever heard of the Gurkhas ???

Or how about the British ex-marines fighting in Somalia, there are many reasons good soldiers will sell themselves to a higher paying foreign empire.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic