Topic ClosedBest troop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xifris View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best troop
    Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 21:45
Correct me if i'm wrong. But... Is Elven Trueshot the best troop in the game?

I made some calculation and my answer is YES!

What do you think?

I'm looking for make an army only and full of elven trueshots.

PD: Yes i know, the typical response of, there isn't a perfect troop, all depend on the defenders or the attackers. But there are'nt special troops with special defend on archers, and the attack/cost os archers is pretty good. In this situation, exists a perfect troop!!

Edited by xifris - 11 Aug 2010 at 21:47
Zangi View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 22:07
Elven Trueshot is indeed very well rounded as a defensive unit, good against sword, while being superb at repelling bow and spear.  No need for spear units to supplement, except against cavalry, unlike the other races.
Attacking cavalry would eat your Elven Trueshots alive if you do not 'dodge'.

As an attacker, superb, since other races absolutely need to build their weaker/less versatile bow units specifically to defend against your pure Elven Trueshot army.  Or 'dodge'.

Speed is good for a tier 2 'elite' foot unit.

So yes, I agree with your assessment of the Elven Trueshot. 
Truly, a menace to Illyriad if we allow these Elves to proliferate as they are now.

Edited by Zangi - 11 Aug 2010 at 22:34
xifris View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 23:22
Yes, to attack pure Elven Trueshot, to defend we can add some phalanx and we get the perfect army XD
iluvpie3 View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 02:33
Human T2 calvalry will eat through just about anything,especially if boosted by a T2 commnader.I think the only things that will stop them is a T2 orcish spear unit,and even then they would have to outnumber the humans.
xifris View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 06:51
Yes, but T2 cavarly is only good in attack, and there are good units to defend vs calvary. 

Edited by xifris - 12 Aug 2010 at 06:52
Akita View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster
Chief Economist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 08:32

It's a game of rock - paper - scissors - lizard - spock
Geek

You have to take into account not just the effectiveness/cost for attack and defense against each of the 4 types of units, but also terrain and speed of units.
There is no "best" unit, only "best for <situation>".

Also, never forget : you can have most players in the game send units to reinforce a city, but the attacker (still) attacks (mostly) alone.

Edited by Akita - 12 Aug 2010 at 08:36
xifris View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 08:45
It will be fantastic... but the truth is that the in the most of situations (to not saying all) the pure elven trueshot is the best solution. And it is because, there aren't a specialized unit to defend vs archers. If heavy infantry have a better bonus the strategy of the game will be better. The same for other cases. The attributes of the troops are not well balanced in terms of strategic game.

I wish to have more vocabulary and facility to write in english to explain me more and better. I have a lot more to say about strategy but i don't have the words.
Zangi View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 10:39
Originally posted by Akita Akita wrote:

There is no "best" unit, only "best for <situation>".

Most useful in most situations.  That is what Xifris is getting at.

Elven Trueshots is the jack-of-trade unit, while also being best at certain things. 

Versatility makes them the best overall unit that you can build and mostly only have to worry about 1 type of enemy. 

Akita View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster
Chief Economist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 14:19

Well, if you put it that way, and if you also take into account to some degree unit move speed, in my personal opinion, it's a close five-way contest between elven advanced ranged, elven basic ranged, orc basic spearman, orc advanced spearman and dwarf basic infantry for that honour of "best unit".
The first four are amongst the top defenders and have decent attack power, while the last is among the top attackers with decent defense power.

The top four attackers are the advanced cavalries of all races, but they're pretty bad on defense (only basic cavalry is worse in defense, but they have the best speed of all units except elven advanced which is on par speed-wise with basic cavalries while being tied in second place for best raw attack power).

There's more than one way to look at things and "best" is subjective, even if you try to make it an aggregate of likely situations.
Me, for instance, I'd rather favour an army of dwarf basic infantry combined with dwarf basic ranged based on raw numbers alone, but then again that doesn't tell the full story either, and you'd probably be better off with a mix of elven advanced cavalry, ranged and spearmen.

Edited by Akita - 12 Aug 2010 at 14:29
xifris View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 17:09
We have to consider that there aren't specialzed units to defend against ranged units. Althought units of lancers of orcs have a better attack than other races, most units have a good defense againts spear attacks. Example: Clan Guardsman attacks with 19 and costs 2mo/upkeep. You can choose any unit of the game (not cavarly), get her defense vs lances and divide by upkeep cost and you will see that is equal or greater than 19/2.

I hope this time, i have explained well my idea. :P But all is questionable :P

Edited by xifris - 12 Aug 2010 at 17:27
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic