Topic ClosedPublic Unofficial Wiki and Naming Contest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Public Unofficial Wiki and Naming Contest
    Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 03:37
As some already know, I've been working on putting together a wiki for Illyriad for quite some time.  Over the past few weeks especially, a great deal of work has been put into the theme and supporting materials needed to make it a robust and proper-looking resource for information, as well as to supply all the advice and direction casual editors need to be able to contribute useful, good quality material.

As I now believe it is ready to handle a wider audience of contributors and even readers to some extent, I formally invite you all to join me in building Arcanum Illyria into a comprehensive and invaluable resource for all players of Illyriad.  I had hoped to make this announcement a month earlier, but better late than never, right? Embarrassed

Content-wise, the wiki is still very much in its infancy, but already growing steadily and in particular has very extensive and moderately well-presented material useful for getting the most out of questing.

Now, about the name.  I'll admit, it's not totally awesome.  Which is exactly why I'm also announcing the "Rename Arcanum Illyria" contest.  I'm looking for a name that is distinctive, clearly identifies the content and purpose of the wiki, and still satisfies my capricious and arbitrary taste while matching the "look and feel" of the website's theme.  The contestant able to supply one that I most like (more than the current one) before the contest deadline will receive 400 advanced resources of his or her choice, sent to the (in-game, obviously) location of his or her choice.  The winner may choose any combination of multiple resources totaling 400.  Players who fear they cannot adequately protect this wealth may defer their award until they are ready and/or opt for basic resources at an exchange rate of 200 wood, clay, iron, and stone per single unit of advanced resource.  A consolation prize of 200 advanced resources will be awarded to the runner-up, and a runner-up will be chosen even if there is no first prize winner and new name selected.

Participants may submit their name ideas by replying to this topic.  Limit 5 candidate names per participant, and only the first five names listed per person will be considered.  Duplicate submissions will be attributed to the earliest post or edit date.  Contest ends midnight UTC, July 31st.  Hint:  the current name was derived while looking for ancient English/Anglo-Saxon terms for books, scrolls, or other ancient information resources.

Special Note:  Arcanum Illyria is owned and operated by myself, a member and currently a leader in the alliance 'Harmless'.  As some will already realize, this raises some privacy concerns for would-be users of the wiki engaged in espionage, open warfare, or other covert operations against Harmless.  No sensitive semi-private information gathered by the wiki--such as IP addresses, browser/OS information, or discoverable patterns of online activity--shall ever be leveraged to benefit Harmless, shared with any other members of Harmless, or viewed by myself except expressly for purposes directly tied to the continued operation of the wiki.  For the moment, you'll have to take my word on this, but I am working on formalizing a privacy policy that will provide the same assurances in a more legally binding manner.

However, please note that this promise does not extend to any user inputs or activities logged on Harmless's private wiki which is hosted at the same domain.  This private wiki uses a different default theme, corner graphic, subdomain and favicon, and is clearly named "The Harmless Wiki," so there is little risk of confusing the two.  The two sites do share login credentials, but not login sessions nor access logs nor activity data of any kind.
Laccy View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 08:19
Splendid job!

"Illywyky"
"Illyrium"
"Wikyriad"
Wuzzel View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 11:47
Illypedia
Illypedium
The Illyriad Library
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 20:57
The Illyricum
TGE View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 14:43
The Reading Room
That Wiki Illyriad  (!)
The Illyriad Hallow

Edited by TGE - 28 Jul 2010 at 14:51

Comic Sans started global warming
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 17:32
The Illyriad Almanac
Callous View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 23:49
HoMul's Illyriad and the Odyssey
Callous View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 00:04
The intimate illyriad
The illyriad oracle (or the Oracle of Illyriad)
Grimoire Illyriad
Orphic Illyriad

The complete idiot's guide to illyriad
Illyriad for Dummies
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 08:33
Excellent resource, HM.

I've moved the thread into Fansites, and have stickied it.
Shrapnel View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 14:04
How about:

The Common Ground
or
The Common Ground Wiki
or
The Illyriad Common Ground

Because it will be a common ground for Illyriad players to go for infomation on Illyriad.  Guess that's 3 so I'll think of 2 more later.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic