Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIdeas to help your city out.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
vaunt View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ideas to help your city out.
    Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 00:54
Here people can talk about what they believe is the right thing to do with you city so you can get ahead of other also so new players can ask for tips.

Like for me, When I join the game I made sure everything was lvl one that way I can do a lot more. Just for people to know I started today. So yes this might now be the right thing to do but so far it looks like it is working for me.

Edited by vaunt - 09 Mar 2010 at 05:18
rescendent View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 02:47
Personally I think building up resources at first is key; farms, quarries, iron mines, lumberjacks; clay pits. Keep the levels at the same level for a while as a level 2 farm doesn't give a significant advantage over upgrading a level 0 farm to level 1 - but costs more resources.

When they get to about level 4 then the jumps in levels start making a significant difference - but equally cost more; so it may be worth leveling one over others a couple levels and then bring the others up one by one.

One important thing to bear in mind - is to also upgrade your storehouse! It determines the maximum number of resources your town can hold; as these build up while you are asleep - you don't want them to cap out and your production to be wasted...

Edited by rescendent - 09 Mar 2010 at 02:48
King Arthur Tudor View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 19:25
Rescendent is right resources is the most important thing and you should keep upgrading. I advice that with stones, iron, wood and clay it would be best to keep them all around the same level. for example don't have one Irone mine higher than the rest of Iron mines because it works out better (and maybe cheaper in long run) to have them equal until you get to lv 5 or higher when the numbers produced is a big difference.

Also i'll advice you to try making some sort of defence like having a army or/and city defences too. But if your going to be apart of a big a alliance than you don't have to worry so much
Corual View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 02:08
So... at what point is it appropriate to keep some military units? and what would be a suitable number?
MFrance View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 01:57
The first thing I'd do if I'd build a new city is to lower my tax down. There's no need for that much gold in the beginning since we don't have any troops yet. On the other side, lowering the tax increase the production and, at first, we do need ressources.

..MF
Sherpa View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 19:38

I agree, lowering my tax really helped bring in the supplies which I then used to upgrade my production centers.  A good tactic while you are under new player protection as an army isnot necessary, thus there is no upkeep.

Ivorich Von Forge View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 01:05
All good advice. I would further advise not to try to "max out" all of your resources too soon. But choose 1-3 product lines on which to focus and get them maxed, leveling the others only enough to support the necessary growth in your chosen lines. You can also use your caravans to harvest resource nodes for quick boosts to your growth needs, but dont depend on them, becasue as more people join the game, the competition for these nodes will increase dramatically

For example:
    A Human may want to focus on the clay and livestock lines (pottery, leather, leather armor, etc, etc) and only build carpenters, mines, and quarries enough to support the growth in the Clay and Livestock lines.
    An Elf may prefer to focus on Wood and Food.
    A Dwarf may want to focus on Rock and Iron.

These are just examples, not hard and fast rules for these races.

A few things that are crucial for all races are:
    Trader to at least 5 for harvesting gold nodes and trading
    Quarries to at least 7 for city walls
    Barracks to at least 7 for a full range of military strategies. Because, face it,; Everyone will have to fight. If you refuse to go on the offense, you will find yourself on defense. Prepare yourself accordingly.

Am I allowed to plug my allianace for those more geared toward defense?
Dunwick View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 03:15
Sorry, but I disagree with you, Ivorich... Well, at least with population less than 300.

All the resources are truly important. If u want to focus on stone and iron, you will have to upgrade both.. Follow the exemple:
+1 quarry = X wood, X clay, x-50% stone, x+50% iron
+1 mine = X wood, X clay, x+50% stone, x-50% iron

So, if u do the math, u will have to have the same quantity of every resource.

At the beggining, everybody should focus a bit on wood, 'cause Academy, Tavern, Brewery, Horses, Cows, Beer,  Spear, Leather Armor and some others requires an extra wood source.

Another hint is:
If you have abandoned citys near you, create a small army as soon as you can. You can gather many resources attacking them...

And of course, TAXES 0%! Even when you have a small troop, cause you can gather a lot of gold harvesting.
Doing the math again:
If your gold upkeep is -20, in one day you'll lost 480 gold.
If you send one caravans to harvest gold (with reinforced wheel), you will gather 600 gold coins... All you will need is wood/clay/iron/stone... Gold will be practically useless... Usually, a +20 gold with taxes causes an somatory of extra research points, mana, food, wood, clay, iron and stone of -20.

Dunwick View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 03:44
Another thing that many people said that I think its incorrect:
"Upgrade all yours "resource makers" equally"

1) At the beggining of the game, food is a kind of problem, so less upgrades less food requirements.
2) The cost of a higher upgrade, is usually relative to the resource increment, so the price varies to less or more in a way that doesn't metter.
3) At the end of the day, before going to sleep, it's usefull to put almost all of your resources to an insignificant value. So, this is the time to upgrade your low level quarry/mine/lumberjack/clay... If you had upgraded all of them to the same level, probably you will not have resources to upgrade.
4) The exception are those upgrades that there isn't an increment of food requirement. I think this happens only at level 1 or 2 farms.
Dunwick View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 03:53
I remembered one more thing.
At the end of the day, and only at the end of the day, make an offer at the market of your higher resource to make it all equivalent to the next day.

Now you would ask me: Why only at the end of the day?
Because before of it, it's better to harvest, and normally, a crazy person accept your offer with 7 hours of distance... So you will lose your caravan for a long, long time...

And always require more than what you offer! 10% is a good mark-up (Ex: offer 270 stones and require 150 wood and 150 clay).. More than this is a waste of profit... And less you will have a much higher risk to don't sell it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic