illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

US Cycle Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Twist View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: US Cycle Challenge
    Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 17:34
as well as next years IllyCon, I'm at the very, very early stages of planning another cycle challenge...
US Coast to Coast : Cycle Against Cancer

If IllyCon 2018 proves a success and someone then plans one in the US in 2019, I'd certainly try and do this to coincide with it and have a rest day wherever the US IllyCon were to be held

It won't be until 2019 or 2020... and I'll not be getting into planning the finer details until next year, but here's what I have so far...

only thinking about a possible route, but likely to start from Santa Monica and ending in New York City

it could involve following a route through or close to the following towns / cities...
Santa Monica - Los Angeles - San Bernadino - Flagstaff - Albuquerque - Larned - Kansas City - St. Louis - Indianapolis - Columbus - Pittsburg - HarrisBurg - New York City

Ideally having a campervan as a support vehicle and as somewhere to sleep each night, cycling for 5 or 6 days, then a rest day, then another 5 or 6 days on the road.... the 3000 miles is likely to take about 30-34 days plus 4 rest days

if anyone lives near any of these places.... or somewhere in between, meeting as many folk along the way might help increase awareness of the challenge, and more importantly increase awareness of the cause, helping the fight against cancer

As said, it will be next year before I get the details sorted, a definite route, including rest day locations

And then the actual cycle challenge itself in 2019 or 2020, depending on how soon I can save the money to make it happen.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 22:51
I would be happy to come down to Los Angeles to meet you and cheer you on!  And also would love to help with any writing or other thing you need to help you along your way.
Twist View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2017 at 22:55
about a year and 8 months to go.... so plenty of time to make arrangements for anyone wanting to support the challenge
planning on getting to Santa Monica or LA and staying there for 2-3 days at least before starting.
time to prepare and get some supplies... then I'll be on the road eastwards!
Twist View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 19:01
If any Illy players living in the USA have an RV, or campervan they might be willing to hire out for approximately 7 weeks in summer of 2019, let me know?

If necessary, I'll look at hiring one from a rental agency... but if I get get one even just slightly less expensive, that would help a lot... 

I'll be using it from Santa Monica to NYC, the owner doesn't have to live in either location as it can always be picked up and driven to the start, and delivered back after the event, and will even leave it with a full tank of gas Smile

Twist View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 16:13
list of some of the towns I'll be either stopping at or at least passing through... if anyone wants to give us a space to park the RV for a night's sleep in or near one of these towns, would be very much appreciated! :)

Total distance 3170 miles on a bicycle, taking 38 days including 4 rest days

Starting from Santa Monica... 
San Bernadino, Twentynine Palms, Big River
----
Kingman AZ, Ash Fork, Winslow
----
I-40 Rest Area NM, North Acomito, Edgewood, Santa Rosa
----
Vega TX, Pampa, Mooreland
----
Anthony KS, Prospect, Linn Valley
----