FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Timing of the larger wars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 16:52
Also worth noting, whether one wants to call it a Pax Crowana or atttribute it to the opening of the Broken Lands (more likely), there were no major wars in falls of 2014 or 2015, iirc.
Celebrant View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celebrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 17:10
Wars are coming with south winds.

Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 18:22
Well, from the last few wars I can honestly say "We were just bored and decided to take down some big alliances". Best you start preparing Rill. NCrow is next.
Kaggen is my human half
Nokigon View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Historian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nokigon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 18:41
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Also worth noting, whether one wants to call it a Pax Crowana or atttribute it to the opening of the Broken Lands (more likely), there were no major wars in falls of 2014 or 2015, iirc.

I think that the lack of war in fall 2014 can be more accurately explained by the sheer length of the Coalition War, which only ended with the surrender of Harmless some time over the summer of 2014. A major war would have been fairly futile in this circumstance; the Crowfed and their allies would have defeated any challengers with some ease. I suppose that is still really a Pax Crowana.

As for 2015, I would argue that the wars in BL fought against SIN (VIC and Shark, with Pico featuring prominently, in particular) count, although one could probably argue that they occurred a little too late in the year (if one considers the war as a continuation of the Newlands War, however, it certainly counts). In terms of long-term influence and effect on the game, however, the war was an enormous landmark conflict. 

The thing that is worth bearing in mind is that both the Coalition War and the Consone War involved a lot of participants with a lot of war declarations; often, war was declared out of solidarity with an ally. My own alliance in the Coalition War had declared war on a variety of Grand Alliance members, but most of our operations involved EE, vCrow and Bane if I recall correctly. As such, the sheer volume of war declarations is potentially a slightly misleading way of demonstrating this trend, as it skews things in favour of when the Consone and Coalition Wars started- both in late summer/autumn. That having been said, it's certainly an interesting analysis!
Stukahh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stukahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 19:00
In my Illyriad tenure I have been involved in over 40 war declarations.  Most of them my alliance pressing the button.  War in this game for the most part highly correlated to how bored NC or SIN has been in the last 5 years.  

There is no mystic force or seasonality.  SIN / NC has instigated every major war since the Consone war (we were a part of that, but not the cause).

We generally avoid summer wars.  We don't like war to interfere with our prime beer drinking months.

There ya have it.  The illyriad war cycle mystery solved.

Stukahh
I don't always drink. But when I do, I prefer the blood of my enemies.
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 19:01
Respectfully, you guys are talking about different things. Stormcrow's graph appears to show 5000-6000 war declarations. The players here are discussing the 50-100 significant war declarations in the past five years. Yes, those wars were between major opponents and changed the course of the game, but by volume alone they are only 1% of that graph.

The bigger question is, what comprises the other 99% of that graph? (Although I might be inclined to first wonder at the accuracy of those numbers.) I would assume a large number of those declarations fall into a few catogories:
  1. Practice wars between friendly opponents.
  2. Alliances like LOST that enjoy declaring on every alliance under the sun.
  3. Little one player alliances declaring on their one player alt alliance, to test game mechanics or goof around.
  4. Players drinking too many pints and then declaring on their friends for giggles.

If these numbers are correct, there is no way the real community saw 40-50 real wars per month for the past five years. Each server war might have had 100 valid declarations, and most recent major wars had 1-3 declarations.

Edited by Ten Kulch - 15 Oct 2017 at 19:02
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 21:08
Noki, I wasn't sure on the timing of the Shark/VIC conflict.  I would consider that "major" in terms of game implications at least, although one of the implications was that others didn't join, different than past trends.  So 2015 Newlands war followed by Shark/VIC could maybe be considered a continuation of the trend.

I used the term Pax Crowana in a tongue in cheek way.  I agree with your assessment that the lack of war in 2015 was because of the sheer length and destruction of the conflict in 2013-2014, which was all over but the treaties by April, but technically dragged into June, again based on my recollections.
Whakomatic View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whakomatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 08:34
SC-

The total # of war declarations does seem rather large. Is your system counting # of accounts at war in that time period? That would be my first guess for numbers at that scale...
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 12:40
Judging by his comment that the wars declared on the devs made up 41 of the total, it seems each declaration counts as a single one. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic