FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Timing of the larger wars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing of the larger wars
    Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 21:57
Hi All,

In another thread I took some time to jog down memory lane, re-reading old war threads from the various larger conflicts that have occurred.

One post that caught my eye was from 2014.  

Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Yes, there is predictably a large war at the end of summer/beginning of fall.  There are sometimes wars at other times, of course.

As far as I'm aware that's pretty much held true each and every year (larger wars initiating around about this time of year).  I would be interested in people's thoughts about why this might be the case.

Thoughts?

SC

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 20 Sep 2017 at 22:05
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 22:02
Originally posted by Canesrule Canesrule wrote:

Why SC, Because "Its all about The U"

I considered that, but many/most Illy players aren't at University afaik.
Canesrule View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 22:43
The University of Miami Hurricanes known as The U.
The Reaper View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 23:09
It's mainly due to them building up their armies, and the profit margin to keep them is about to bust in my opinion, so burn them on wars. 
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 00:09
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

Originally posted by Canesrule Canesrule wrote:

Why SC, Because "Its all about The U"
I considered that, but many/most Illy players aren't at University afaik.

No, but many Illyriad players probably have kids and/or go on longer summer vacations.

Is it definitely concluded that major wars tend to happen at the boundary of summer and autumn?
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 00:13
In the SINdicate, we usually see slightly lower engagement levels among our ranks in the northern hemisphere's summer (and late summer, more specifically). Once September rolls around, engagement tends to spike and then continues steadily through the Christmas holiday into the new year. So, you want to ride that engagement wave as much as possible.

Not sure if the game devs see similar patterns or not server-wide, but it's true for our group.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 01:08
Originally posted by Ten Kulch Ten Kulch wrote:

Is it definitely concluded that major wars tend to happen at the boundary of summer and autumn?
Anecdotally only; however, from re-reading the old war threads, I'm pretty sure that most of them started in this period.  However, I'll run a historic analysis on war declarations by month and post the results here with some commentary over the next week or so.

SC
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 02:09
Originally posted by Jejune Jejune wrote:

In the SINdicate, we usually see slightly lower engagement levels among our ranks in the northern hemisphere's summer... 

Not sure if the game devs see similar patterns or not server-wide, but it's true for our group.
Will also take a look at login data; anecdotally, is your 'higher engagement' due to kids-back-to-school/uni, returning from holidays to a big fresh troop-pile-and-itching-to-use-them etc?

SC
Eresh View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 02:30
On most multiplayer games/online communities/etc. there's a higher activity seen in the fall and winter. I'm guessing it's a combination of people enjoying real life for the summer and vacations, etc. and stuck inside for worse weather during the colder seasons. With more activity comes more issues and conflicts that start wars.. not to mention simply more time to fight the wars.

My previous game (that evil "E" one) the servers that started in Sept-Nov traditionally had more people and lasted longer with better pvp in general. An older mmorpg I play now and then on private servers usually sees a MASSIVE influx of new servers opening and players joining them for the fall. So much so in fact that they're known to open around this time and shutdown due to lack of players around May-June.
Starry View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 02:56
*waves to SC*  :)

I believe there is something to this theory.   We've noticed a little dip in the summer months with our members due to vacations, kids at home, etc. and it does appear members are more active in the fall.    So, SC, a fall event held by the Devs would fit right into this trend.   *hint, hint*
CEO, Harmless?
Founder of Toothless?

"Truth never dies."
-HonoredMule

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic