illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How can this be fair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Spartacus View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 16:11
How does the fact that the conventions are sometimes or even regularly breached justify their wholesale abandonment in a game? 
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 16:28
Originally posted by Spartacus Spartacus wrote:

How does the fact that the conventions are sometimes or even regularly breached justify their wholesale abandonment in a game?

Momentarily ignoring the absurdity of war deserters self-declaring "civilian" status for their own convenience, the disparity is justified because: 1. nobody has actually agreed to the Geneva Convention in Illyriad, and 2. Illyriad is a video game, not reality.

Edited by Ten Kulch - 20 Sep 2017 at 16:29
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Eresh View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 16:33
Originally posted by Faydwen Faydwen wrote:

There's absolutely no hope of my towns being able to defend against their onslaught. They are attacking me with multiple people, all of whom are attacking with multiple armies. All of whom each have at least one town, if not more, that have more population than my entire collection of 6 put together.

It's not up to your enemies to build less troops, it's up to you to build more troops. You are the only person on Illyriad responsible for building your own defense. You are also the only one on Illyriad responsible for picking the alliance you chose to join. Your alliance declared war knowing it was a training alliance and knowing it couldn't fight the target and knowing it couldn't defend any of it's members in said fight. The problem is on you and your alliance, not people your side declared war on.

At this point they are simply actively trying to remove me from the game simply because there's no challenge for them to do so.

If the goal was to remove everyone from the game that there's no challenge to remove, then there'd be about 10 people in the game. You're not special, you're just earlier in line than the next guy in your alliance member list due to bad luck, placement, or karma for something you did in a past life ;)

Newer players like myself are the life blood of any online game. When you start removing them from the game, you eventually run out of them, and the game dies.

You're not new! 9 months old is not new! You aren't being removed from the game by anyone. Only you can make you quit the game. 
Spartacus View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 16:38
Originally posted by Ten Kulch Ten Kulch wrote:

Originally posted by Spartacus Spartacus wrote:

Momentarily ignoring the absurdity of war deserters self-declaring "civilian" status for their own convenience, the disparity is justified because: 1. nobody has actually agreed to the Geneva Convention in Illyriad, and 2. Illyriad is a video game, not reality.
There's video ????
lorre View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 17:02
i wonder what the devs think of a demand for sitter rights to see mails and such. pretty sure that breaks some kinda privacy 
The battlefield is a scene of constant chaos. The winner will be the one who controls that chaos, both his own and the enemies.
Napoleon Bonaparte
Fiona View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 17:12
Love whiners hehe
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 17:47
Well Lore, I am guessing it is a request for sitter rights, and only the account owner can nominate sitters, thus if someone does not like the request or disagrees with the request they can refuse. Its not like anyone can force you to appoint a sitter. Get over it and stop trying to make things more than they are. Perhaps if you played more actively instead of trolling the forums you might be able to help these people so so desperately seem to be trying to help in the forums.
Kaggen is my human half
lorre View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 18:39
Originally posted by Gragnog Gragnog wrote:

Well Lore, I am guessing it is a request for sitter rights, and only the account owner can nominate sitters, thus if someone does not like the request or disagrees with the request they can refuse. Its not like anyone can force you to appoint a sitter. Get over it and stop trying to make things more than they are. Perhaps if you played more actively instead of trolling the forums you might be able to help these people so so desperately seem to be trying to help in the forums.

how many requests have you had that end in or else. also this "request" is to go through ingame mails.
this is not a voluntary sharing
The battlefield is a scene of constant chaos. The winner will be the one who controls that chaos, both his own and the enemies.
Napoleon Bonaparte
Stukahh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stukahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 18:57
Let's be careful not to equate using game mechanics to force compliance as the same as using RL threats or coercion.

We can threaten someone's cities and armies all we want.  That is not a violation of the CoC.  

No one is bring forced to do anything here.  She had a chance to surrender and comply to set out terms.  She also could have made a counter offer or just flat out declined the terms.

Players are allowed within the CoC to destroy the cities of anyone they wish for any reason they wish.  So to threaten that upon someone is totally fine and not against the rules.

Stukahh
I don't always drink. But when I do, I prefer the blood of my enemies.
lorre View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 19:04
Originally posted by Stukahh Stukahh wrote:

Let's be careful not to equate using game mechanics to force compliance as the same as using RL threats or coercion.

We can threaten someone's cities and armies all we want.  That is not a violation of the CoC.  

No one is bring forced to do anything here.  She had a chance to surrender and comply to set out terms.  She also could have made a counter offer or just flat out declined the terms.

Players are allowed within the CoC to destroy the cities of anyone they wish for any reason they wish.  So to threaten that upon someone is totally fine and not against the rules.

Stukahh

incase you hadnt noticed stukkah, it is not the destroying cities or even demanding ingame gold that i have an issue with.
the issue is with the demanding access to someone elses account to read through their PRIVATE mails.
these are not game mechanics and if you think they are, i suggest you start being carefull.
they might be ingame private mails but private none the less
Napoleon Bonaparte
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic