illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How can this be fair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Celebrant View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celebrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 19:18
Do developers have the habit of answering, or at least reading, written by their customers?
Stukahh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stukahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 19:22
@Lorre

Players are allowed to ask for ANYTHING they wish within surrender terms as long as it is game related and does not violate the Code of Conduct

We are "demanding" nothing.  We don't have the power to demand anything.  We can ask and the other party involved can respond within their own free will.

If someone is willing to breach their own privacy by adding a sitter and did so under their own free will then all is good.  People do it everyday in illy when adding a sitter.  This is no different.

I don't always drink. But when I do, I prefer the blood of my enemies.
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 20:10
Hi All,

We've had a number of requests for clarifications on where we stand on a variety of issues, so I thought it might be a good time to post about military playstyles and war more generally, and also on the particular question about sitting privileges.

On War
Illyriad is a sandbox game.  Our job is to provide the tools to make different playstyles and strategies work out for players, individually and collectively.  There are no 'wrong' choices of playstyle, and there are no 'right' choices either.

So long as it is not in breach of the Terms & Conditions and Code of Conduct, players are free to use the tools provided to play Illyriad in whatsoever way they choose.

Historically, the Illy gameworld has had periods of all-consuming server-wide wars and periods of tranquil peace.

The Black vs White war of 2010, for example, involved pretty much every account on the server iirc.  Sections of Nokigon's rather excellent history thread might seem eerily familiar to more recent denizens of the forum who may not have been playing the game back then.

I'll say today what I said back in the original 27-page megathread from the 2011 H vs Valar war : 
"Illyriad is, by design, a sandbox game.  This means that it is what the players themselves choose to make of it, without any prescription of playstyle from us beyond some simple rules (such as the automatic "new player protection")."

The 2013 Harmless vs Crows war thread may also induce extreme feelings of deja vu, or, indeed, The Great War of 2014 - a history megathread that nearly rekindled hostilities :)

As I said, we've had periods of war, and periods of peace.  The server and the game have survived - indeed, thrived - after both. 

I believe that history is generally cyclical in nature, and it may be the case that Illy is due a period of turmoil round about now.  However, we don't mind either way, and what ensues is absolutely not up to us, the dev team... it's up to you, the community, and how you choose - both individually and collectively - to engage (or not) in a fluctuating political environment.

Regarding 'demands' for sitting rights access 

This is very simple.  
  1. Sharing your login credentials with *anyone* is a no-no, for any reason whatsoever. 

2. You may choose to appoint up to two sitters to sit your account for whatever reason you wish.  Please carefully read the warning on the 'Appoint Sitter' page before doing so, so you fully understand what rights you are granting by appointing a sitter.
Other players may request or demand ingame things from you as part of War Reparations - be that gold; resources; trading; mining or territorial rights - or indeed any other ingame mechanism that we have made available to you as a player, such as sitting privileges.  

In the past, Terms of Surrender have included even such things as giving up towns, the ejection of named players from the losing alliance, as well as requirements that the Terms of Surrender themselves be kept confidential.  Sometimes Terms of Surrender have been neither offered nor accepted - and players have been seiged back into the 'newb ring'.

Whether you (individually as a player or collectively as an alliance/confed) choose to acquiesce to, renegotiate, or resist such requests and demands is entirely up to you.  We have absolutely no opinion on the 'rightness' or 'wrongness' of any particular playstyle, so long as the actions do not break the Terms & Conditions or Code of Conduct.

Intentional Typos to Circumvent Profanity Filters
As a final note, we take a very dim view of intentional typos that are, in our sole opinion, intended to circumvent profanity filters and the like.  

Please refrain from doing so; I've asked GM Cerberus to police this behaviour enthusiastically both in the forums and in GC.

With best wishes,

GM Stormcrow
Stukahh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stukahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 21:03
Thanks dev team for a much needed and very clear clarification on the issue at hand.
I don't always drink. But when I do, I prefer the blood of my enemies.
Eresh View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 21:20
Can I just say kudos to GM Stormcrow for that response. Not so much for agreeing with what we've been saying lol, but for showing you actually know what's going on in your game now and in the past. I've been playing online games like this for very nearly 2 decades, and it's rare that the devs know what their players are up to... the fact you can list off past wars by name and year is astounding.
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 21:31
Originally posted by Eresh Eresh wrote:

Can I just say kudos to GM Stormcrow for that response. Not so much for agreeing with what we've been saying lol, but for showing you actually know what's going on in your game now and in the past. I've been playing online games like this for very nearly 2 decades, and it's rare that the devs know what their players are up to... the fact you can list off past wars by name and year is astounding.
Why, thank you!  

It might surprise people to realise that I do pay quite a lot of attention to what's going on ingame, largely because I'm forbidden from playing Illy myself and so have to live vicariously through observing the actions of others.

It was actually fascinating to re-read those threads; I lost a good couple of hours of dev time today doing just that.

One post that caught my eye was from 2014.  

Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Yes, there is predictably a large war at the end of summer/beginning of fall.  There are sometimes wars at other times, of course.

As far as I'm aware that's pretty much held true each and every year.  I'm sure it's to coincide with the peak of Hurricane Season Wink but would be interested in people's thoughts about 'why' this might be the case - in this other thread, so as not to derail this one, please!

SC

EDIT: Added link to new thread re timing of wars in Illy, and moved first reply from CanesRule

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 20 Sep 2017 at 22:03
Hobblez View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobblez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 21:57
Originally posted by Faydwen Faydwen wrote:

There's absolutely no hope of my towns being able to defend against their onslaught. They are attacking me with multiple people, all of whom are attacking with multiple armies. All of whom each have at least one town, if not more, that have more population than my entire collection of 6 put together.

Well that's a load of BS, even with your newly lowered population your "6" have a population of 22k+ pop, my highest pop is just under 17k...also just took a quick look at the top 3 players in [SIN] aka the alliance that is sieging you and the highest pop city amongst those 3 players is 17.5k....maybe your exaggerations and manipulation of the truth to fund your own cause is why no one is feeling sorry for you....
tester101 View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tester101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 23:19
Originally posted by Hobblez Hobblez wrote:

Originally posted by Faydwen Faydwen wrote:

There's absolutely no hope of my towns being able to defend against their onslaught. They are attacking me with multiple people, all of whom are attacking with multiple armies. All of whom each have at least one town, if not more, that have more population than my entire collection of 6 put together.

Well that's a load of BS, even with your newly lowered population your "6" have a population of 22k+ pop, my highest pop is just under 17k...also just took a quick look at the top 3 players in [SIN] aka the alliance that is sieging you and the highest pop city amongst those 3 players is 17.5k....maybe your exaggerations and manipulation of the truth to fund your own cause is why no one is feeling sorry for you....

Maybe she meant all the gold farming cities / accounts feeding those low pop war cities?
The Reaper View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 00:38
It isn't the players fault for using their alts, to farm gold to feed their more militarily focused account, that's basic self sufficiency and defense. #Illy101
tester101 View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tester101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 00:52
Originally posted by The Reaper The Reaper wrote:

It isn't the players fault for using their alts, to farm gold to feed their more militarily focused account, that's basic self sufficiency and defense. #Illy101

I think we both knows it goes beyond that :P I have brother , sister, mom , dad, grandparents, gf, maid all playing from my house!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic