illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

a forum farewell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a forum farewell
    Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 03:36
fellow illyrians,

i have decided at last to abandon the game. whether or not He-Man removes us from the map as he has threatened to do, the sundering of that fellowship that was eCrow is fait accompli, and that removes my last hard reason for remaining. the game itself is fine, but one can only work through so many maths problems before it all starts to bore. i resolved early that i did not need this game to be a job, a child, or even a pet; the sustained time and effort it would take to be competitive here, now, is beyond what i am prepared to sacrifice.

i will stay long enough to put certain things in order, so i will not disappear immediately; i have in mind that i will resign the first week of October, making an even six years since i first signed in for a few hours' diversion. i do like a nice complete circle. 

it has been very long indeed since i decided to linger and see if pathfinding would work as advertised. in the meantime, i have spent many hours, met any number of enjoyable people, and posted many times to this forum (some posts better received than others). it has been the excellent company that has kept me returning. so if the forum will indulge me, i will mention a few of the brightest in that very starry sky.

to ScottFitz, mentor and friend, who first taught me to crow and whose persistent encouragement among all the sceptical rooks led me to think it might all be possible. chaos is the organising principle of the universe.

to Kale Weathers, whose early reciprocity taught me that eCrow might be more successful at coexistence than the crow confederation had any intention to be.

to Freeky, fighter and entrepreneur, whose gaffes remain as legendary as his determination; he taught me valor, and about the pigs of Portugal that eat only acorns. 

to Fruppo, whose account we have maintained for ever so long as our way of keeping him about. he left us for the very best of reasons, to rear his infant boys. bravo, indeed.

to Kinesis, cake connaisseur, bandleader of gc, and general instigator of fun, who taught me not to take the game too seriously, and of the special place Kipling still holds in the heart of India; and to Mithyn, her companion and foil. what a pair they made.

to Vanerin, whose kindness continues to inspire.

to Anjire, whose insights i still carry with me.

to Nokigon and the former allies of Dark Blight: may your saddles never fail you, and your spears always remain sharp.

to ghannima, who taught me how conveniently one overlooks one's own failings, and to Dravin, whom we all left too much alone. mea culpa.

to Myr, Beecks, ELECTROK, Bonfyr Verboo, and the myriad other military players (yes, even Stukahh) who, over the last several years, taught me to hope there might yet be a place for casual players in the new game. time will tell.

to Mistery, who could not stay, and whose unfailing courtesy i will miss very much.

to Rockette, who did the real work of the alliance efficiently and unselfishly until rl took her away, and then sometimes after that.

to Berde, the heart of the alliance for a long, quiet stretch during which eCrow might have drifted apart much earlier.

to Brandmeister, craftsman and sage, who was always ready with an unpleasant but necessary truth.

to Tickle, who, near the end, kept us together by sheer conviction. though your cities fall, may your spirit never falter.

to Stonerman, pillar of the south. while you and Tickle were together, i would have braved anything. you make fortunate any alliance with which you choose to play.

to Kenyl, who, recent events notwithstanding, is still the cleverest crow i know.

to Sa'Belle, the original heart of eCrow, without whose friendship i could never depart.

to Roo, highknee, Auraya, Fiona, Lissilene, Smoking GNU...to all these and more, i thank you for the consideration you have shown me in my sojourn here. we each have only so much time. i am honoured by the portion of yours you have given me.

grow and prosper,

Angrim

Lyken View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 04:19
You've been a great ally and a greater friend, Ang. It's been an honour and a pleasure.

Edited by Lyken - 03 Sep 2017 at 04:49

Diva View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 04:27
Angrim, I get it. 
We had a small chat last night. And I'm sorry to hear this. But I get it.

Well wishes my friend.

Diva
"Um diva.... you are sort of acting like a .... diva...." - PhoenixFire
Bulani View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bulani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 08:03
Really how narcissistic is this to post your farewell announcement 1 whole month before you leave??? Do you need to do a farewell tour like Dereck Jeter? Or do you really need the next month of people telling how much they will miss you and wish you would stay? I mean what possibly could you need to arrange? He-man is seeing to the dismantling of your alliance for you. If you wanted to transfer gear out of hubs that can be done in less then an hour..... Just go. If you dont want to play anymore then leave the game for people who do and let your alliance try and fix the problems that you and your leadership have failed to even address. Why make the entire server suffer through the endless "oh no!!!! Dont leave us!!!" crap that you are clearly angling for. Good Luck with your endeavors! 
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 14:25
Originally posted by Bulani Bulani wrote:

Really how narcissistic is this to post your farewell announcement 1 whole month before you leave??? Do you need to do a farewell tour like Dereck Jeter? Or do you really need the next month of people telling how much they will miss you and wish you would stay? I mean what possibly could you need to arrange? He-man is seeing to the dismantling of your alliance for you. If you wanted to transfer gear out of hubs that can be done in less then an hour..... Just go. If you dont want to play anymore then leave the game for people who do and let your alliance try and fix the problems that you and your leadership have failed to even address. Why make the entire server suffer through the endless "oh no!!!! Dont leave us!!!" crap that you are clearly angling for. Good Luck with your endeavors! 
i have some things i'd like to take with me from my very large igm store, and some people here who log in only occasionally who may want to arrange for contact outside of the game, and a very busy schedule in the next few weeks that may keep me from either. i considered not mentioning my departure, but it seemed necessary to frame the rest of the text.

this being illy, someone was always going to read a post about other players as narcissistic. ;)
Tacardi View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tacardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 16:27
How rude Bulani

Edited by Tacardi - 03 Sep 2017 at 16:27
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KillerPoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 23:16
I think you were the fairest player I interacted with in the game - farewell.
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill
Wild View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 12:11
Yet another huge loss to illy :( 
Be well Angrim, and know that you will be missed. 
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 13:24
Ok here goes. I know some of you are going to freak but seriously, this is just a game and friendships made here are not real anyway unless you interact with those people outside of game context. So here goes: When can we expect to be flooded with Friend of Angrim medals?
Kaggen is my human half
hendo7 View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hendo7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 04:25
Angrim ,you have been a great leader made many wise discussion on how to treat opposing players with respect as well as your fellow  members,you are a  man well worth the respect of all
and you will be missed ,hope you go out with a big clap of thunder that all will remember
you will be missed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic