illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Counting ten sqs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Antivirus View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antivirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Counting ten sqs
    Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 07:02
It is pretty easy to count the ten sqs when your sq is in a straight line up down or sideways from you. But, what about when you are diagonal? Will subtracting the coords work? Is their a tool available to correctly figure the distance based on coords?
phoenixfire View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phoenixfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 08:34
Diagonally every square is 1.2 squares vertically or horizontally. So say it's 8 squares diagonally Illyriad counts it as 10.6 squares. This does, however, change if you don't go straight out diagonally.
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 08:34
The Tape Measure tool in Durctools does it.

If you dont use DurcTools then it is simply a case of calculating the hypotenuse of a right angle triangle using Pythagoras.

For the sake of simplicity I'll use an example that gives a 3 4 5 triangle.

Given two points:
A = 100|200
B = 103|204

Find the difference in the X coords and the Y coords:
dX = 103-100 = 3
dY = 204-200 = 4

The distance between the two points is given by the formula:
AB = square root((dX x dX) + (dY x dY)) = square root((3 x 3) + (4 x 4)) = 5

Calculating the square root of a number by hand is probably beyond your ability but any calculator - including the one in Windows 10,  should have a square root button (it often is represented by a tick mark). Alternatively you can do a search for hypotenuse calculator.

Tens
Antivirus View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antivirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 09:28
Wow, a lot to digest. I tried to get the DurcTool but what I downloaded durctools2.user.js  would not open. I use the Opera browser and win 7 os. I will just count carefully diagonally and stop somewhat less than 8 sqs. Thanks
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 12:33
Did you follow the instructions on my profile and install one of the userscript manager extensions first?

Tampermonkey is available for Opera. The official Opera page for it is here.

Once you have that installed and running click on the link for the DurcTools userscript again. That should then install the script instead of displaying it.

Once it is installed, reload the Illy page by pressing CTRL + F5 and the tools will be loaded. When they are loaded a pic of a baby orc will appear next to the big Mail icon on the game screen. clicking that pic will open the tools.
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 18:46
Why do you want to count 10 squares anyway?
Kaggen is my human half
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 19:10
Probably to check if he can put a town somewhere when there are others nearby.
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 19:29
Well, no need to calculate. The game lets you know if you can move or not. No need to use any tools or add-ons for that
Kaggen is my human half
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 22:00
True, but if you are trying to find suitable spots you want to be able to eliminate those that are unavailable due to their proximity to other towns. In an ideal situation I'd be able to offer something like the overlay that was available in IllyTools but alas that is currently beyond my abilities.
Eresh View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 16:03
http://www.digioso.org/dilly_tools/illy_distance.pl

Put both coords in, press submit, win :D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic