Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Resistance against Ta2in// SS dealer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Silea View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 01:04
#boycott SilverSteel
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 16:09
Originally posted by eowan the short eowan the short wrote:

If we allow big military alliances to dominate trade and control who gets silversteel
For too long, the big alliances of elgea have allowed themselves to be chipped away 1 by 1. They want to divide us and to conquer us.

When are people going to wake up and realize that Elgean politics are strangling the game? For the majority of their existence, all five (now ten) of the Silversteel mines were controlled by big alliances. Almost nobody crafts with Silversteel at a large scale. At the small scale, how many commander swords do you really need?

The TA2IN cartel is mostly to the detriment of the large, old alliances who previously monopolized the mines. Those alliances dominate damn near everything in this game--tournaments, trade, politics, entire regions. It is mind numbing how so many players just parrot the worship of the Elgean mega-alliances without ever considering if it's genuinely good for the game, or even for themselves. What's good for Big Brother isn't necessarily good for you, people. Think for yourselves.

This new cartel is disruptive. But it's also something interesting that people are doing within the sandbox. A small, aggressive team has acted to monopolize a rare resource, and disrupt trade of that commodity through menace. That's exciting! How many other alliances are doing genuinely interesting things in this game? People complain that the game needs more content, but then when players step up with bold actions, the mega-alliances react immediately to smother those moves. Wake up, people. The status quo is a system where the mega-alliances get to decide what you are allowed to do, and what you aren't allowed to do, in this video game sandbox. When they get their way, you guys don't have anything to talk about except soap and lurker trees. Loosen up a little. This game is much more interesting when Big Brother isn't forcing everyone to play Illy FarmVille while they police the community with implied force, under the guise that the community has endorsed them as warden.

I think it's pretty cool that overnight, these guys have become the mafia crossed with De Beers. It's probably the most interesting tale to come out of Illyriad this year.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 16:53
'When are people going to wake up and realize that Elgean politics are strangling the game?'

That is debatable, it certainly reduces the amount of pvp. However, at the same time the Broken Lands is a whole continent where elgean politics holds little sway. Why not play your unstrangled game there and give people the choice of what they want?

'The TA2IN cartel is mostly to the detriment of the large, old alliances who previously monopolized the mines. Those alliances dominate damn near everything in this game--tournaments, trade, politics, entire regions. '

Please explain to me exactly how the TA2IN cartel doesn't dominate trade in a much more controlling way than the old alliances ever did, As for entire regions, surely that is much more the preserve of the land claimers than the older alliances. In both instances, the old alliances certainly were dominant but they were dominant in a way which was softer and made more sense. They dominated trade by being bigger than everyone else but they didn't stop others from trading with this power. Small players could trade easily and without any restrictions. They dominated regions by being there, that is fair in my opinion. They didn't bar others from those regions and if you found a spot which didn't interfere with the 10 square rule it was fine.

'What's good for Big Brother isn't necessarily good for you, people. Think for yourselves.'

Yes, and what is good for TA2IN isn't necessarily good for everyone else. 

'People complain that the game needs more content, but then when players step up with bold actions, the mega-alliances react immediately to smother those moves. '

I'm not sure where you got that conspiracy theory from given that neither RoFC nor MoV are old large alliances. They are both relatively new and have few ties outside themselves. 

You make a general point that the status quo is bad for most players. I'd argue that whilst it is imperfect it is probably better than a system where you can be barred from whole areas of the game, both physically and in trade, just because you are in the wrong alliance. 
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 17:34

That is debatable, it certainly reduces the amount of pvp. However, at the same time the Broken Lands is a whole continent where elgean politics holds little sway. Why not play your unstrangled game there and give people the choice of what they want?

If you think Elgean politics are not exercised with Elgean backing in the Broken Lands, you must be living under a rock. Every major war in the Broken Lands, and many minor ones, have been fought over exactly that conflict.

You make a general point that the status quo is bad for most players. I'd argue that whilst it is imperfect it is probably better than a system where you can be barred from whole areas of the game, both physically and in trade, just because you are in the wrong alliance.

TA2IN is barring people from trading a single rare commodity. That rare commodity has almost always been mined by a few specific, powerful alliances who controlled sales and reaped large profits. If you find the TA2IN monopoly to your personal detriment, do something about it. Illyriad is a sandbox, people should react to the cartel as an interesting challenge in a video game, not something to whine about.

Also, your current predicament is of your own making. You intentionally contradicted He-Man in a very public way, effectively daring him to make good on his threats to enforce the Silversteel trading ban. If you thought he was bluffing, you were wrong. If you didn't think he was bluffing, I have no idea why you challenged an elite military player to take military action without making the proper preparations first.

Edited by Ten Kulch - 31 Jul 2017 at 17:35
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 18:16
I am not saying that elgean politics hasn't held sway in the past, it definitely has. However, in the current climate, elgean politics doesn't even seem to hold sway in elgea so any influence on BL is negligible. 

I am doing something about the monopoly and I am encouraging those who also disagree with it to also take part. 
Wartow View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 19:25
Originally posted by Ten Kulch Ten Kulch wrote:

I think it's pretty cool that overnight, these guys have become the mafia crossed with De Beers. It's probably the most interesting tale to come out of Illyriad this year.

+1 for the DeBeers analogy.

In the real world a market monopoly is highly desired but often temporary.  Illyriad provides limited resources and inferior alternatives to silver steel equipment, that is, no one can innovate a better resource that makes better gear.  And so the monopoly can continue and still hold value.

What to do about it?  For most we live with the current situation as our need for silver steel is limited and can be met in the market even if the prices are inflated as a result of this artificial-scarcity.

10k's approach is a bit heavy handed and maybe too large in scope (go big or go home, right?) but as he said he wants to be disruptive and isn't looking to restore usual market forces.  He also isn't looking for dev-approved solutions such as big NPC factions destroying encampments or King Siguard to challenge everyone to a tournament involving silver steel mines.

So... what's next?  And how are those currently outside of silver steel mine holdings to come together if they think there is something to this 10k endorsed effort?  Are some hesitant to join without more information on the scope (loosen hold on SS mines in [given] region)?  As a community we've agreed to a number of norms within the game, could skirmishes for SS mines be viewed as acceptable without invoking larger wars?

Did I summarize well?

Good luck to all... 

Wartow
Princess Botchface View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Princess Botchface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 22:14
Originally posted by Snagglepuss Snagglepuss wrote:

Your alliance is PCing me and sending me IGMS to not be attacked and trying to surrender...Why do you make them suffer for something you disagree with?? You put others in danger by declaring on us. IF there are noobs in your alliance, declaring war puts them in danger and makes them fair game. Your noobs should be afraid of their leaders not Ta2in... You are simply performing to the crowd like you always do... "I care!!! Look at my big banner, everyone follow me!!" Pathetic!

It's your alliance who made the rules and the threats to begin with. You could have just targeted Eowan because you know, he's Eowan and he does stuff like this all the time, I'm shocked he hasn't gotten ringed yet. If you're so worried about how n00bs feel, you could just... I dont know... not threaten them or condone them being threatened? Be all like, we're not going to attack anyone with 3 cities or less, that's not so hard and there's plenty of precedent for that and it still gives you space to enforce whatever it is you want to try to enforce.

Also keep in mind that the war declaration was made by IKnights after the direct threats from TA2IN were made which is a perfectly rational response, I would have done the same, wouldn't you?. 

Eowan is at times a bumbling stooge, but it's a stretch to paint him as the bad guy here, which is what I interpreted from your comments that you're attempting to do. You guys do whatever the hell you want, but it's pretty rich to sit there and try to engage in some emotionally manipulative argument like this, you don't have any moral high ground to stand on. 

Personally I find this whole thing quite interesting and returning to the status quo is not something I condone nor do I condone He-Man being the Master of the Silver Steel. I wish that Eowan had not started the war in this way but it is what it is and it might just get some people to wake up and get interested in building armies and fighting which in my opinion is something Illy really needs.

I hope MoV is successful in rallying people to their cause and I wish them the best of luck. 
Phelony View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phelony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 22:45
eowan the short wrote:

the old alliances certainly were dominant but they were dominant in a way which was softer and made more sense.

Hahahaha...., that is really funny, you have no idea! This account is new but I have played since 2012 and I know better as do a lot of others that set up in TBL!
Oh yeah by the way, the sword, or should I say spear?, IS mightier than the pen in this game. Just ask AJ,... oh wait didn't he noob ring himself?
As a side note, any of those 2-3 city noobs in either of the alliances that He-man says won't be sieged, should stay and play, to fight! It is really a lot of fun! You will learn what, or,....what not to do.
Either way best of luck to both sides and try to have fun, this is a game ya know!
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 22:58
Phelony, for the average player in the game, the big alliances did nothing to restrict their trade. If you wanted to trade in silversteel, all you needed to do was find someone willing to sell you it for less than you could sell it for. That's how I traded in SS. This meant that despite the fact that big alliances dominated the SS mines, it was a softer dominance which allowed other players in if they showed some initiative. 
They were dominant but not in a way which excluded others.
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 23:17
Originally posted by Wartow Wartow wrote:

10K ... endorse

Endorse is a strong word. It suggests that I enthusiastically embrace the objective, and that I am in a position where that would actually be relevant. Find interesting, yes. I find the De Beers diamond monopoly interesting, but I do not necessarily endorse it. I find the history of Prohibition to be interesting, but I do not endorse bootleggers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic