illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Some minor user-friendly changes...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Eresh View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Eresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some minor user-friendly changes...
    Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 02:31
I think these would all be quick and painless to implement...

1 - Add the prestige speedup button to the wall defense page.

2 - Add the demo button to the resource plot pages, currently it's missing.

3 - Force a chat window refresh when you join an alliance, so newbies don't get the impression there is no alliance chat. Currently they have to relog to see it at all.

4 - Add the travel time to the launch screen for diplomacy and trade units like military units get.

5 - Add a recall option for 90 seconds to trade units like diplomacy and military units get.

6 - Display a total resource cost when adding anything to a production/training queue.. for example if I type in 1000 to queue 1000 beer, make it show in a tooltip or a new line on the screen or whatever "This will use 10000 wood, 5000 clay, 5000 iron, 20000 food, and 1000 gold". 

7 - Rewrite the popup error message for training trade units.  
Instead of: 
You cannot build 100 Skinners as that would mean you'd have a total of 199. Your town can only support 110 but you have 49 in your town, 50 travelling, for a total of 99.

How about something easier to read like:
Skinners in town: 49
Skinners traveling: 50
Total allowed: 110
Total owned: 99
Can still train: 11

Or even just drop the distinction between traveling and idle, because you're trying to train them not trying to send them out to harvest:
Your skinner total: 99
Your skinner limit: 110

8 - Not minor probably but it'll make you money... please sell us an option to rearrange buildings within our cities. Even a simple single use tool to click building A, then click building B, and have the two buildings swap places... although of course I'd prefer something to let me move all the buildings around where I want them :D
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 11:33
Originally posted by Eresh Eresh wrote:

I think these would all be quick and painless to implement...

1 - Add the prestige speedup button to the wall defense page. Can't believe this doesn't have the button. Should indeed be very easy to do as it is only implementing code/functionality that exists elsewhere.

2 - Add the demo button to the resource plot pages, currently it's missing. Same as #1.

3 - Force a chat window refresh when you join an alliance, so newbies don't get the impression there is no alliance chat. Currently they have to relog to see it at all. Am I correct in saying that AC stops working as soon as you leave an alliance? If it does then again the code exists (just in reverse), if not then it should. Thinking about this a bit more, when you log in part of the data sent from the server is a bunch of entries for all the chat channels you have enabled. There must be a function on the server that does this so a simple call to the server with the relevant parameter should result in the latest bunch of AC posts being sent.

4 - Add the travel time to the launch screen for diplomacy and trade units like military units get. Real estate on that page is tight but since you can only send one type of diplo/trade unit at a time it could be fitted between the distance and the region map. When you put a figure in the Send column, it calculates the travel time and adds that. When sending harvesters from the map is slightly different but still not that difficult.

5 - Add a recall option for 90 seconds to trade units like diplomacy and military units get. Again, this would make use of code that exists elsewhere so I would think it is fairly simple to impliment. Imagine the joy of both newbies and vets alike when your cotters are no longer sent on that

6 - Display a total resource cost when adding anything to a production/training queue.. for example if I type in 1000 to queue 1000 beer, make it show in a tooltip or a new line on the screen or whatever "This will use 10000 wood, 5000 clay, 5000 iron, 20000 food, and 1000 gold". This is also fairly simple - all the data needed is there and a line could be added under the resources required to show the total needed for the qty in the input box for that item. As the value in there changes the totals needed are updated.

7 - Rewrite the popup error message for training trade units.  
Instead of: 
You cannot build 100 Skinners as that would mean you'd have a total of 199. Your town can only support 110 but you have 49 in your town, 50 travelling, for a total of 99.

How about something easier to read like:
Skinners in town: 49
Skinners traveling: 50
Total allowed: 110
Total owned: 99

Or even just drop the distinction between traveling and idle, because you're trying to train them not trying to send them out to harvest:
Your skinner total: 99
Your skinner limit: 110

Only change I can think of to this would be to include the check on required resources in this as well. Otherwise a perfectly sensible and easy solution.

8 - Not minor probably but it'll make you money... please sell us an option to rearrange buildings within our cities. Even a simple single use tool to click building A, then click building B, and have the two buildings swap places... although of course I'd prefer something to let me move all the buildings around where I want them :D
This has been suggested before and I think it is a damn fine idea - help us obsessive compulsives get our town layouts in order and get some more money for the devs. Sounds like a win win to me.

These are all excellent ideas Eresh and if the devs don't pay attention then let me know and I'll see which ones I can write tools for.

Tens

Tink XX View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Tink XX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 15:06
We sorely need the following buttons on the sovereignty screen:
1. Select all sov squares and build a chosen sov structure on them.
2. Demolish all sov buildings.
3. Level up all sov buildings.

The current UI is a nightmare. Many, if not most, players don't build a different sov building on each square but a lot of us build all the same sov buildings and then after a while change all of them to a different sov building.

If you are efficient, it takes 40 clicks to demolish all Level 1 sov in one city and another 60 clicks to build a different structure. 100 clicks per one city to just change sov! Obviously most of us don't just stop at level 1 sov so for a military player with level 3 sov the number is 180 clicks per city. When we could have 3 buttons and accomplish this feat in 3-4 clicks.

Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 15:50
Just to clarify, this is regarding the sov buildings not the sov claims themselves.
Because the leveling up and down of sov building requires communication with the server that is not something we are allowed to do with any 3rd party tools so this would have to be a dev implementation. Perhaps another prestige option although an argument could be made that the ability to rapidly change sov for a town gives a 'pay to win' style advantage to those with the prestige available.
Eresh View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 18:02
Thanks for the response Tensmoor, I figured they'd all be quick because they're very minor or using already existing code they can just copy/paste/edit.

I like those 3 ideas Tink! Sov is certainly the most tedious part of the game for me. 

Edited by Eresh - 18 Jul 2017 at 18:03
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 01:09
i believe #5 to be unworkable because player-to-player trade relies on the mutual simultaneous launch of caravans that are not otherwise tied together by the game. the others seem good.
Eresh View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 01:55
Automated trades like the market would generate don't need a recall button, it can be greyed out or not displayed at all. I mean manually sent trades. For example, you send your cotters on a 2 week march because you had the map displayed for City A and were actually focused in City B. Or you intend to ship 200k stone to a friend but accidentally put 200k iron instead. 
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 06:19
Alternatively, allow the recall button only for units that can only be used for harvesting (cotters, miners, herbalists, skinners).  Of course that wouldn't allow recall of caravans sent 2 days away, but it would address the problems of misclicks on the map when you send harvesting units, which is at least 50% of the problem.  (Or at least the problems I hear about.)
Count Rupert View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 12:08
Originally posted by Eresh Eresh wrote:

Automated trades like the market would generate don't need a recall button, it can be greyed out or not displayed at all. I mean manually sent trades. For example, you send your cotters on a 2 week march because you had the map displayed for City A and were actually focused in City B. Or you intend to ship 200k stone to a friend but accidentally put 200k iron instead. 

What Angrim is referring to is the issue where two players agree to a private transaction where one is sending goods and the other gold/goods in payment.  If there was a recall button, one of the parties could recall at the last second and still receive the other party's side of the transaction without having done their side.  It's the whole reason there is no recall button for trade units.
GM Cerberus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Creativity & Community Czar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Cerberus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 19:13
This is some great feedback guys, we do read these posts and take them into consideration.  

Well thought out feedback and critique on anything is always appreciated, especially if you have numbers to go with it! Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic