illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crosswords

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TheBillPN View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBillPN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crosswords
    Posted: 23 May 2017 at 19:50
GM Cerberus asks after trivia if we have any more suggestions for similar things to make Illy more fun. 

Crosswords.

GM posts a picture of a blank crossword grid in a forum thread, with no clues. Gives out clues, one a day for until you can fill the grid (this is flexible, it may be just as easy to have a session in chat where the GM gives out clues one after the other over an hour or two). 

First person (and also second and third places) to hand in the completed grid via IGM to the GM get the prestige prize (or special unit, or medal, or in-game statue, or crafted item, or Mystery hint, whatever gift the GM wants to give). 

I realise some people don't like crosswords, but then again some people don't like trivia, and it's been welcomed with massively open arms. I for one would prefer an ordinary crossword for this, but CRYPTIC crosswords could just as easily be done. Even better ILLYRIAD THEMED CROSSWORDS.

Then next week, or two weeks, or months etc., new crossword grid, new clues. 
I could suggest maybe a cool-down period for winners to give other people a chance? Being as crosswords are much more niche than general trivia. Maybe they miss out one or two, give other people a chance? I don't know, i see new people winning trivia all the time, so might not be an issue.

Anyway, thanks for reading. HELPFUL comments appreciated.

Yitshak View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yitshak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 02:25
That is not a bad idea. I enjoy the trivia quiz, but rarely see it due to work. 

A challenge that takes place over a longer period, maybe a day or two, would be better for people in different time zones as well as the slow typers/readers/internet connection people. 

A crossword maybe, or perhaps a weekly 20(ish) question quiz, although it would have to be quick and easy to set up and mark. Don't want to take up too much of devs time ofc, but something along those lines would add something to illy while we wait for those long researches/exoduses/etc to complete.

Good idea TheBillPN, I'm sure many more will add their thought to this topic.
Remember to be nice to the squirrel.
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 03:28
A weekly 20 questions would be a good idea but rather than have the prestige prize given weekly, what about a tournament where you accrue points over the course of say a month or two? At the end of it, the winners could be  given special prizes. 

You'd need to figure out a way of preventing people from just googling the answers for this though- perhaps have a time limit from when the 20 questions are opened by the player in which they can answer. This might not be possible without some updates but perhaps it could be done externally.

As this is a mind related tournament, a cool special prize could be a discovery which boosts research production by a decent amount for the winner's capital. 
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 07:56
Originally posted by eowan the short eowan the short wrote:

A weekly 20 questions would be a good idea but rather than have the prestige prize given weekly, what about a tournament where you accrue points over the course of say a month or two? At the end of it, the winners could be  given special prizes. 

You'd need to figure out a way of preventing people from just googling the answers for this though- perhaps have a time limit from when the 20 questions are opened by the player in which they can answer. This might not be possible without some updates but perhaps it could be done externally.

As this is a mind related tournament, a cool special prize could be a discovery which boosts research production by a decent amount for the winner's capital. 

While using a modal window to show each question would stop the user from simply opening a new tab in their current browser to google the answer as far as I know there is no way of stopping a user from opening a separate browser to do it without locking the users computer in a way similar to that employed by some viruses - not something either the devs or users would be happy with.

Instead of having a time limit for completing the quiz it is just as easy to have a time limit for each question - different limits for each question are even possible (ie a simple one liner is 30 secs but a wall of text is 1 minute). In that way you won't have to tie yourself up for a prolonged period and can choose to move onto the next one when you're ready.

Edited by Tensmoor - 24 May 2017 at 07:57
Hyrdmoth View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyrdmoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 12:57
I would suggest keeping it Illyriad-themed. There is a ton of background material written into the faction descriptions, rare resource descriptions, quests and mysteries. If a quiz/crossword/whatever were to encourage people to read up on all that it would make more sense to my mind than sending people off to read wikipedia articles about Alfred the Great.

Some of the more involved suggestions in this thread seem more suited to a standalone general quiz site/app.
Queen Bacet View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Queen Bacet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 16:07
+1 for hydromoth
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 09:38
I gave GM Cerberus a link to a sample Illy based crossword that I created using some free software and asked if it was something they would be interested in doing or if I would be ok to go ahead with it. He said they would have a look at the idea and get back to me. Still waiting however as we all know, situations change and this is not something I will be willing to do in the future. Contact the GMs for details of the software/example etc (I give the GMs authority to share that).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic