illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vets, be careful about giving long term advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vets, be careful about giving long term advice
    Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 07:06
I'll happily tell others how (and why) I would or wouldn't do something but I try to make sure they realise it is MY way of doing stuff not the only way. Some things are facts - relating to game mechanics, but a lot of the advice that gets asked for is also experience based. The best advice I was given was simply to enjoy myself and if I messed up just start again. This is about my 5th account with all the others gone of to the great game in the sky after screwing them up completely.
DeathDealer89 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathDealer89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2017 at 05:44
The flip side to this is do continue to give advice.  Illyriad has lost players because they made poor choices when the started and didn't realize until much later and weren't willing to exo and start over.
asr View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 13:16
OT, is emotional outburst. I hope he/she is fine now. Lots of hugs.
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 20:21
Warmongering in Illyriad blog post: Let the N00bs Fight!

Telling new players to grind resource plots and avoid troops is a disservice to the game. Most new players leave due to boredom, not conflict. The "community representatives" who shove that garbage advice at n00bs have an agenda to turn Illyriad into some kind of weaksauce chat FarmVille. New players should be encouraged to hunt, harvest, craft, trade, and scuffle as they wish. They should even be taught how to use their teleport (gasp!) if it gets them to their friends and fun more quickly.
asr View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 16:35
I continue play because of growing wealth. I went into offline-idle play type as a primary way recent year(s).

Heard G0dsdestoyer sold his 10million cows.

abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abstractdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 00:22
Good post.

My 2 cents: When I was a new player, shipping tons of res to newbs was just getting off the ground. I received a couple of shipments and appreciated it but I was not expecting more and made my way through the usual issues, making mistakes and armies and the whole nine yards. Eventually I had to rearrange things and it wasn't the end of the world. The mistakes I made were all the usual ones but I don't regret a second of it. I understand vets want to help newbs have a better experience but sometimes, experience is the thing. If you don't experience life in Illyriad first hand, how can you appreciate it to the fullest?

I think the only advice I would give now is to tell newbs to just do what they want to do. Want to build an army, do it. Want to craft, do it. Whatever it is, this is a game and nothing is eternal and if all goes wrong, abandon and start over, no biggie.
Bonfyr Verboo
Azrile View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Azrile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 20:00
I am still on the fence with showering new players with Res.  It is nice, they think they love it, but in 4X games, resource balancing is the only real gameplay.  I purposefully am refusing res ( and not asking) and I can tell you, the game feels more like a game this time.  The last time I was flooded with res, which eliminated any decision-making I had to do.

I think a lot of the boredom of early building might be because without the decision-making regarding res, you are just pushing whatever button and waiting.  It also completely eliminates the need to use vans to pull resources, which I am finding makes things more interesting.  I actually care about my vans now and make decisions on which res I need to send them to.   But if you are getting 10,000 res every few hours from vets, who cares about the 200 per hour you can get from vans.  Today I purposefully had to send my vans further because I needed wood ( being an orc).. and it felt like a wise decision to bypass the closer rez source and go after what I really needed.   Those are the types of decisions that make 4X games work.

Not having to care about which rez to build, not having to care about vans, being told not to build armies... I think all of those things contribute to the boredom many people talk about with the early game.
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 12:56
Excellent post. About time someone said it here. Every time I tell people it is never too soon to make troops and go forth on kill stuff some farmville type vets tells folks it is a bad idea. Lots of fun to had.

Edited by Gragnog - 08 Feb 2017 at 12:57
Kaggen is my human half
Azrile View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Azrile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 12:40
I saw this all the time the first time I played, and it was a real turn-off.

Players want to have fun and they want to play the game now.  Just in the past 24hrs of my return, I see the same mistakes being made by vets offering advice to new players.

It is alright if players are not perfectly optimized or they do things that are fun now that may not be smartest thing if they plan on playing for a year.   I know you guys are super-nice, but I think you may be hurting new player retention by offering such long-term advice rather than just showing the players how to have fun now, doing the fun things in the game NOW that they want to do.

Telling players not to build armies or attack stuff.  Or just this morning I heard someone offer advice to a new player that they really shouldn´t be crafting until they had 4 or 5 cities.   You guys love the game and maybe that is smart advice, but new players don´t love the game yet and do not want to wait to have 5 cities until they do the things in the game they think will be fun.

Yeah, it probably is a bummer in a year when you have your 6th city and realize " hey, maybe I should have put a few of them on 7 food spots".. or whatever..   But the truth is I think you guys are way over-doing it and not allowing the players to have fun early in the game with the advice you give.  I would imagine the ratio of new players that last long enough to where the long-term advice even matters is very low.

Edited by Azrile - 08 Feb 2017 at 12:47
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic