illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Next server wide Tournament

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Twist View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 19:05
Firstly, huge thanks to Kodabear for planning this tournament....
and also, The Fellowship will be taking part
Tucic View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tucic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2017 at 01:03
Thank you for putting this together for everyone's enjoyment koda. 

Also, Insurgents [REBEL] will be participating. 

Eerik View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eerik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 22:08
BLX will participate.
PugGuy View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PugGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 03:58
Thank you for again organizing a tourney Kodabear. The Hogwarts of Illyriad will be there.
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 20:59
Thanks Koda
SV will be taking part! Beware the power of the noobie horde!!!
TormenteSoul View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TormenteSoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 11:10
WarM will participate!

Champ
Founder of WarM
Lost Avenger View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lost Avenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 12:14
Thanks Koda.

Lost Again (LOST) will be participating.

Regards, LA.
Grandel View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grandel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 15:44
Legendary will take part in this tourney.
zolvon View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zolvon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 20:43
 First, a huge THANKS! to Koda and anybody else involved in organising.

I have said this before but the response was rather negative last time and I don't think it needs to be so hard...

I believe there should be at least two divisions within the tournament. Eg: Alliances within the top 30 (based on land ownership) and the rest. This would give smaller alliances real incentive to participate.

Last time I mentioned this I was told it would involve too much work, but I can't see why. The only change I see is more prizes. Because of this, I will offer to donate 1 prestige scrape, 1 prestige parchment and 1 prestige page as prizes if another division is added.
Hyrdmoth View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hyrdmoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 22:05
Originally posted by zolvon zolvon wrote:

First, a huge THANKS! to Koda and anybody else involved in organising.

I have said this before but the response was rather negative last time and I don't think it needs to be so hard...

I believe there should be at least two divisions within the tournament. Eg: Alliances within the top 30 (based on land ownership) and the rest. This would give smaller alliances real incentive to participate.

Last time I mentioned this I was told it would involve too much work, but I can't see why. The only change I see is more prizes. Because of this, I will offer to donate 1 prestige scrape, 1 prestige parchment and 1 prestige page as prizes if another division is added.
Well the first issue is that there is no perfect way to do what you want to do. I think this might have been proved in a more general sense by a philosopher, but in this context I hope I can persuade you of this by raising some objections to your suggestion.

You say "at least two divisions", which raises the question of how many divisions. Why three divisions and not four? Surely there is still going to be a disincentive to taking part (if there is one) for alliances that are near the bottom of a division? I suppose you could create a continuous set of divisions by scaling an alliances score by its land ownership, but then that raises all sorts of other questions. Why scale by land and not population? Or should you scale by land^2?

It seems obvious to me that any sort of adjustment that one might introduce to try and even it up for smaller alliances will be disputed as unfair by one or more people, and so it really is not worth the extra trouble. Furthermore, why should the larger alliances not have an advantage?

It is true that a very small alliance would struggle to come above vCrow, but is there not satisfaction to be gained by having more modest objectives, such as winning their nearest square, or scoring higher than in the previous tournament?

Finally, one of the advantages of having player-run tournaments is to do away with this sort of argument about the best way to organise a tournament. If you think there is a better way then you are free to organise a tournament of your own, run according to your own principles.

Edited by Hyrdmoth - 01 Mar 2017 at 22:07
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic