illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tournament square

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Wintersmith View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wintersmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 00:04
Originally posted by Starry Starry wrote:

One other question, is there anyway to prevent players from moving cities within a 5-10 square radius of the tourney square (except where one already exists)? 

You could render a move close to a square fruitless by using a point system which is derived from  (distance/racial constant) x Time on square. The further traveled the more points for occupation awarded. I believe the information is already available in the API to do this.
DeathDealer89 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathDealer89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 00:07
Why not go back to the undead type tournament.  Where there are a large number of random sq's that spawn throughout the day.  Only I would have the undead both defend and attack the sq's.  
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 00:49
Originally posted by DeathDealer89 DeathDealer89 wrote:

Why not go back to the undead type tournament.  Where there are a large number of random sq's that spawn throughout the day.  Only I would have the undead both defend and attack the sq's.  
Hi deathdealer,

This thread is very much about changes to tournament square allocations - that the player-run tournaments could also take advantage of.  It's not a by-necessity-dev-run-tournament suggestions thread.

Regards,

SC
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 01:03
Originally posted by kodabear kodabear wrote:

Before I get to answering these questions.  Back when you added the BL square you said that you were going to have a XML list for import so i am wondering if you guys are willing to create the XML for Tournament square? It will make it easier for the coding to update the databases/coding for Tournament.
We can provide a tournament square list xml file very easily, and simply issue a new one each time the squares move.  Not a problem.

Originally posted by kodabear kodabear wrote:

Also will the changing of the Tournament sqs effect the limited API key?
Right now, development on the limited API key has finished, just short of the finish line.  

You've made it clear - for reasons I *entirely* understand - that you're not willing to run a tournament using the limited API key; and until someone else who has the coding skills and wherewithal to run a tournament pipes up and says "I want to use the limited API key", there's literally zero point in us completing development on it.  I'm all for developing new things, but if - literally, in this case - they have no possible use-case-scenario, then it's a waste of everyone's time!

Originally posted by Lagavulin Lagavulin wrote:

I had assumed the squares would change at the start of a tournament.

Every X months is better than it is now but still not as random/fair as I would prefer.

Originally posted by Mr Damage Mr Damage wrote:

My preference would be the squares change once a tournament is announced.

Um... It's just as flexible and random/fair if we do it on a schedule every 6 months, no?

Want a snap tournament that prevents people from taking advantage of city location?  
Announce the tournament whenever you like, but have it start on 01JAN or 01JUL, so the squares are unknown until the moment the tournament starts.  Same outcome:  no one knows the squares until the day of the tournament.

Want a more interesting tournament where the snowglobe gets shaken halfway through?  Run the tournament from mid-DEC to mid-JAN...

Want to run a typical tournament, where people can stock up/move cities to take advantage of a known square?  Run it halfway through the rotation period (eg May).

Regards,

SC
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 01:54
Every six months is probably often enough, although I wouldn't mind seeing it happen a little more often, such as every three months.  That might encourage multiple different players or alliances to sponsor tournaments.  I guess it depends on 1) how hard it is to generate new tournament squares and 2) whether anyone can think of a downside to having it happen every three months.

In terms of terrain, I can see the argument for having random terrains (which would naturally tend to feature a terrain type more common in the area -- such as unfortunately plains and hills in my "home" area of Laoshin and Tamarin).  But I'm wondering if this results in the most "fun" or competitive tournament if competition is taking place across a whole continent or two whole continents.  Alliances tend to be somewhat geographically focused, and this would mean that alliances in some general areas would have a long-term disadvantage in tournaments.  Is this the most "fun" way to do it?  Or should there be something that pushes square selection toward a variety of squares in any particular region, essentially making the last 1-2 terrain types somewhat less likely to be picked, for example?
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 02:31
I'd like to see a little variety in the terrain type for each region square. Although eCrow is optimized for the Laoshin plains square, it gets tedious to defend the same square using the same techniques every single tournament.

I feel less strongly about the locations themselves actually moving. I'd probably be happy to just see the terrain for the squares change.
kodabear View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Astronomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kodabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 02:48
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

1. Would 6 months be about the right length of time before a square moved?

I am good with it being 6 months

2. We can try and force a balance of combat terrain types... however, how should that balance be allocated? There are a number of options:

a) Based on the current ratios of square terrain across the two continents?  
b) Based on the region ratio (ie a mountainous region will be much more likely to pick a mountainous square)
c) Based on a fixed ratio (eg 8 Small Hills, 8 Plains, 8 Large Forests etc)
d) Just randomly pick the square in each region, which will - over time - be most likely to match b) but will also be more likely to throw up random weirdnesses
imo i like C the best. It would be the most fair but D would be alot of fun

3. If we did (eg) 6 months, we'd pick eg 1st Jan and 1st Jul and let those dates be known in advance.  I think that'd also allow players to run tournaments that straddled the change - to shake things up half way through a tournament.  Does that work?

This also works for me. makes the most sense if you were going to do a  6 month thing.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 03:07
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Every six months is probably often enough, although I wouldn't mind seeing it happen a little more often, such as every three months.  That might encourage multiple different players or alliances to sponsor tournaments.  I guess it depends on 1) how hard it is to generate new tournament squares and 2) whether anyone can think of a downside to having it happen every three months.
Once the code is written (which really won't take long to do), it could run hourly for all the server cares!

My only slight concern is that I'm mindful of those players who wish to create a temporary base around a tournament square.  I've always slightly thought that people who are willing to forego all the potential benefits of picking the perfect city location (for sov etc) and/or (with moving tournament squares) exodus a city in favour of a temporary advantage over tournament location should be commended for their dedication.

If that's not particularly an issue between choosing either 6 months or 3 months, then I'd personally pick 3.

Best,

SC
Dravin the Sloth View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dravin the Sloth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 08:05
1. six months seems fine, but so do other options, provided they are longer than a month, the reason for which will come in the answer to 3.

i've no need, nor desire, to see balance in terrain type distribution, let the predominate terrain of the  region dictate. 

2. D. random would be best, i think, and as it would end in resembling B, that would still allow for some assumptions to be made on how to prepare for battle in that region, while maintaining a certain risk in doing so.  

3.  i think i might very much like the idea of a tourney straddling a change, but the option should remain for tourneys that do not, making it less than a month untenable.  

P.S.  Brandmeister made a good point, though, so i am of two minds.  would it be possible to add weight to the lesser terrains in Laoshin, to follow Brand's example.  Lao is overwhelmingly plains, perhaps a little extra weight could be given to the less represented terrains to increase, even if marginally, the odds of them popping up?  

Lord Stanley View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Stanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 21:11
1. Would 6 months be about the right length of time before a square moved?

I think 6 mo would be fine. Plenty of options and considering how much work these are to rune, I think it's unlikely that we'll have one much more frequently then every 6mo.

2. We can try and force a balance of combat terrain types... however, how should that balance be allocated? There are a number of options:

a) Based on the current ratios of square terrain across the two continents?  
b) Based on the region ratio (ie a mountainous region will be much more likely to pick a mountainous square)
c) Based on a fixed ratio (eg 8 Small Hills, 8 Plains, 8 Large Forests etc)
d) Just randomly pick the square in each region, which will - over time - be most likely to match b) but will also be more likely to throw up random weirdnesses

I think randomly random with one hard and fast rule. No landing on sov.

3. If we did (eg) 6 months, we'd pick eg 1st Jan and 1st Jul and let those dates be known in advance.  I think that'd also allow players to run tournaments that straddled the change - to shake things up half way through a tournament.  Does that work?

Cool idea.

As a sister idea to enhance the game square. I think Assissins should be allowed to function on any tournery sq, BUT only if the idea of random squares is implemented and they change periodically. (If the squares are staying stationary, I think it is much too big of an advanatge to someone who moved their city close to wipe out all the defending commanders)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic