FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tournament square

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
kodabear View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Astronomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kodabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 21:42
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

Originally posted by Dravin the Sloth Dravin the Sloth wrote:

the current squares, i believe, were chosen based upon their location at the center of each region.  which seems a fair approach.  my question would be, what sort of criteria, other than different, would go into the choosing of new squares?
This is the crux of the question.  koda?

SC
As long it has somewhat balanced terrain i am fine with anything

Edited by kodabear - 21 Oct 2016 at 21:43
Starry View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 22:08
Originally posted by wackturk wackturk wrote:

I would think you could make it very simple.  Current location and terrain is known to all.  Some have moved closer to these squares in order to have a strategic advantage on that square, they have also prepared their cities to produce the best troops for that terrain.  So, the simple answer is, don't worry about the Center of a region, anywhere in a region would favor one player over another at this point.  But if you made the code pick them at random on an interval and rotate the terrain at random also.  When the new squares are announced, players and alliances would need to determine which ones are closest, to those participating, which terrain type best suits their set ups, and this would create a more level playing field for those players and alliances that are not camped out next to the squares today.  It would also bring into question whether moving their cities to a more strategic position is worth it if the square could change in 3 months or 6 months or whatever random frequency.

+1 I agree with Wackturk Smile
CEO, Harmless?
Founder of Toothless?

"Truth never dies."
-HonoredMule

GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 22:28
If we implement this, we'd certainly apply practical rules to the square choice (not a town, not a sov'ed square, not impassable terrain etc).

3 questions though:

1. Would 6 months be about the right length of time before a square moved?

2. We can try and force a balance of combat terrain types... however, how should that balance be allocated? There are a number of options:

a) Based on the current ratios of square terrain across the two continents?  
b) Based on the region ratio (ie a mountainous region will be much more likely to pick a mountainous square)
c) Based on a fixed ratio (eg 8 Small Hills, 8 Plains, 8 Large Forests etc)
d) Just randomly pick the square in each region, which will - over time - be most likely to match b) but will also be more likely to throw up random weirdnesses

3. If we did (eg) 6 months, we'd pick eg 1st Jan and 1st Jul and let those dates be known in advance.  I think that'd also allow players to run tournaments that straddled the change - to shake things up half way through a tournament.  Does that work?

Regards,

SC

EDIT: Added a third question

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 21 Oct 2016 at 22:30
Starry View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Starry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 22:44
Thanks SC

These are my personal preferences, still waiting to hear from the members

1.   Six months is good
2.   Yes, on balanced combat terrain, I'd prefer a balanced approach, probably option c.
3.    Dates sound good

One other question, is there anyway to prevent players from moving cities within a 5-10 square radius of the tourney square (except where one already exists)?   Having cities moved around the tourney square is insane.   I realize that people will move cities close to the tourney squares but at least the city won't be clustered around the square.

Thanks SC, appreciate this dialogue.

CEO, Harmless?
Founder of Toothless?

"Truth never dies."
-HonoredMule

kodabear View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Astronomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kodabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 22:47
Before I get to answering these questions.  Back when you added the BL square you said that you were going to have a XML list for import so i am wondering if you guys are willing to create the XML for Tournament square? It will make it easier for the coding to update the databases/coding for Tournament.

Also will the changing of the Tournament sqs effect the limited API key?
Lagavulin View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lagavulin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 23:00
I had assumed the squares would change at the start of a tournament.

Every X months is better than it is now but still not as random/fair as I would prefer.
Mr Damage View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Damage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 23:41
My preference would be the squares change once a tournament is announced. The make up of terrain I am not fussed about.
DeathDealer89 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathDealer89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 23:47
It could be to many squares but why not 1 square of each terrain in each region?
Benedetti View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benedetti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 23:51
1) 6 months would be fine. I don't see tournaments happen more often then that anyway?

2) I don't see a point for option c. Sure, there might be 8 plains squares in Elgea, but that means nothing if you happen to be in the west and all those squares are in the east. The more random the better (I love to see a plains tournament square in a province that is all mountains, with towns that are all geared to mountain combat :D ), I think, so I'd go for option a) *if* the total of all squares in illy more or less even out between the different terrain types. If there are far more mountains, or plains, or whatever, that would not give the best random result.

3) brilliant!

Originally posted by Starry Starry wrote:

One other question, is there anyway to prevent players from moving cities within a 5-10 square radius of the tourney square (except where one already exists)?

NO! Please. Keep in mind that we're not talking about the duration of a tournament, but for the whole time (6 months) a square is designated as a tournament square. I think it's unfair and unwanted to block a serious area off from city building if a tournament square happens to land right in the middle of an area an alliance or player is looking to develop. By the same reasoning, new tournament squares have to stay *well* away from existing cities, so as not to restrict them in developing sov in the 6 months the square is a tournament square.

(edit: Unless, ofc, the limited city placing and ignoring of NAP/Confed is turned on/off at start/end of a tournament)

Edited by Benedetti - 21 Oct 2016 at 23:53
wherditgo View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wherditgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 00:00
1) yes
2) mixture of c and d fixed ratios with at least some degree of randomness
3) yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic