FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tournament square

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
kodabear View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Astronomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote kodabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tournament square
    Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 02:31
I am planning on doing another Tournament in about 6 months. And get asked a lot if there is anyway to change the current king of hill Tournament square and my answer to that question is always the same. code speaking its really really really really easy. (for the Tournament code i have right now) but the main problem with new sqs is only something the devs can do because how the sqs are working. NAP and confed are meaningless.

SO my question is there anyway for you guys to create another algorithm  that picks new sqs? 
Jadefae View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jadefae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 03:10
Give me a N
N
Give me an E
E
Give me a W
What does that spell?
NEW squares......
hmmm not quite right but you get the picture I am totally for this ideaClap
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 03:14
I think that having squares that change makes sense, but the question then would how frequently should the squares be changed?  Once a month? Once every few months?

If the squares do change pretty frequently, that does limit the problem one could have with changing the squares, which is that since you can't claim sovereignty on tournament squares having one pop up very close to one's city can be inconvenient due to sov limitations.

I do think that if the squares are changed on a regular basis, the timing of the change should be known so that players who wish to use them in a tournament can plan the tournament around the change -- for example, sometimes one might want to have an entire tournament on one set of squares, while in other instances one would want the squares to change partway through.

If this proposal is just to change all the existing squares once, I don't see the point of that, because people would just do the same thing they are doing now, move cities close to the new squares.  Of course, it would be nice to be able to get that extra sov square nearer Utopia, so I wouldn't have a strong objection to it, even if only for that.

Having squares change regularly would be good not only because of the problem of people putting cities near tournament squares but because it would potentially allow regional squares to be contested on a variety of terrains.  It would be really nice to fight in Tamarin and Qarosslan and Laoshin on something other than hills and plains!  Although we do have a lot of those ...
Dravin the Sloth View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dravin the Sloth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 06:11
hmm, seems an idea, doesn't it?

the current squares, i believe, were chosen based upon their location at the center of each region.  which seems a fair approach.  my question would be, what sort of criteria, other than different, would go into the choosing of new squares?

Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 06:14
would it need to be more difficult than a random, passable square in the region not currently occupied, settled or sov'd?
Dravin the Sloth View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dravin the Sloth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 06:45
nah, probably not.  i can live with random as an answer to that question.
Starry View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 14:14
I love the idea of changing squares, Koda.   You are awesome!
CEO, Harmless?
Founder of Toothless?

"Truth never dies."
-HonoredMule

GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 14:33
Originally posted by Dravin the Sloth Dravin the Sloth wrote:

the current squares, i believe, were chosen based upon their location at the center of each region.  which seems a fair approach.  my question would be, what sort of criteria, other than different, would go into the choosing of new squares?
This is the crux of the question.  koda?

SC
Lagavulin View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lagavulin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 21:16
I would go with semi random.

It has to be a square that an army is allowed to land on.
Also, not a city square.
Not within X squares of the territory border.
or not within X squares of another tourney square.  Either of those.
Possibly not in any sov claim.
wackturk View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wackturk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 21:23
I would think you could make it very simple.  Current location and terrain is known to all.  Some have moved closer to these squares in order to have a strategic advantage on that square, they have also prepared their cities to produce the best troops for that terrain.  So, the simple answer is, don't worry about the Center of a region, anywhere in a region would favor one player over another at this point.  But if you made the code pick them at random on an interval and rotate the terrain at random also.  When the new squares are announced, players and alliances would need to determine which ones are closest, to those participating, which terrain type best suits their set ups, and this would create a more level playing field for those players and alliances that are not camped out next to the squares today.  It would also bring into question whether moving their cities to a more strategic position is worth it if the square could change in 3 months or 6 months or whatever random frequency.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic