illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

31AUG16 - Tournament, release notes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Mahaut View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 11:50
Hi Sc.

I've been generating the Tournament API key since the beginning, but after all the changes would it be helpful to generate a new one? A fair number of VTX have been doing it but if you need a new one generating I'll ask them to do so.
I haven't given personal feedback on it because what I know about the internal workings of API keys could be written in large capitals on the back of a postage stamp. I know what I want it to show but how to achieve it is beyond my skill set LOL.
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 15:47
Originally posted by Mahaut Mahaut wrote:

Hi Sc.

I've been generating the Tournament API key since the beginning, but after all the changes would it be helpful to generate a new one? A fair number of VTX have been doing it but if you need a new one generating I'll ask them to do so.
I haven't given personal feedback on it because what I know about the internal workings of API keys could be written in large capitals on the back of a postage stamp. I know what I want it to show but how to achieve it is beyond my skill set LOL.

tyvm.  No need to generate a new key; just having one out there is enough for us to look at the data!

SC
Derby View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Derby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 21:27
Wanted to thank GM Stormcrow on his and Dev's efforts on the Tournament key.  It will be ashamed if closed out and not to be used by any further Dev or player run tournaments.  

I know I will not take part in any tournament that uses the Combat key and not a restricted view separate tournament key. 

But did want to say thanks for trying to get a tournament key that protects individual player security while affording enough information that ensures a certain level of player trust in tournament square battle outcomes.  
kodabear View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Astronomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kodabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 21:45
Originally posted by Derby Derby wrote:

Wanted to thank GM Stormcrow on his and Dev's efforts on the Tournament key.  It will be ashamed if closed out and not to be used by any further Dev or player run tournaments.  

I know I will not take part in any tournament that uses the Combat key and not a restricted view separate tournament key. 

But did want to say thanks for trying to get a tournament key that protects individual player security while affording enough information that ensures a certain level of player trust in tournament square battle outcomes.  

I can say should I do another tournament I wont use the limited API key. I have many reason for this. One of the main reason is the end tournament stats you are able to do with a full combat report are a lot better and a lot more interesting for players to look at. And wont allow people use the limited API key and the combat API key as it will mess up the end tournament stats. I do understand that this will make it were some alliances wont take part and that is there problem not mine. I also highly doubt anyone else other then me and maybe ubluntu would be running a tournament. So this work the devs are doing it pointless and a waste of there time
Digioso View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digioso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 08:34
I agree with Koda here.
a) No numbers about involved troops. This makes for boring statistics.
b) There is no way to see the winner of a battle. There is no indicator to see who won the battle. And because there are no troops listed it isn't possible to determine.
ubluntu View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ubluntu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 16:10
I agree with Kodabear and Digioso here. As-is I don't see how this could be used to run a tournament and would rather use the full combat report API anyway since it allows for much more interesting statistics.

I would rather see the devs time spent on other things, but since we are already here. I did notice a bug with datacomplete in the listing of combats in the new API. It appears to be the value for the attacker even if the key is for a defender and the tournament combat report has all defenders listed as participants. Please see Combat GUID 'C536950E-808A-4FE0-BFFA-E7F5C4BA2C00' in my Combat Report API for an example of this.
Mahaut View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 20:30
To be fair to those of us that wanted this Api. We didn't ask for no troop numbers,  we asked for the city they came from to be unidentifiable to the data compiler  - journey times to not be shown to the compiler as showing the one makes it easy to work out the other. And a couple of us didn't want troops type...We have never had a problem with actual numbers and who won the battle with attack troops and casualty numbers.  
No idea why anyone thought we did......I remember no post from any of us asking for that.
kodabear View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Astronomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kodabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 22:09
Originally posted by Mahaut Mahaut wrote:

To be fair to those of us that wanted this Api. We didn't ask for no troop numbers,  we asked for the city they came from to be unidentifiable to the data compiler  - journey times to not be shown to the compiler as showing the one makes it easy to work out the other. And a couple of us didn't want troops type...We have never had a problem with actual numbers and who won the battle with attack troops and casualty numbers.  
No idea why anyone thought we did......I remember no post from any of us asking for that.

Originally posted by Cilcain Cilcain wrote:

Originally posted by kodabear kodabear wrote:

<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">the limited-data tournament key must include casualties doesn't matter if say what type of units but i do want the casualties as part of the Tournament </span>

Agreed. It's the troop count we object to, not the casualties. 

C

Two things. One the current "Tournament" API key does show the city the attack have came from. Wonder why you havent give any feedback/comments on that since you guys were the ones who wanted this limited Tournament API key and you had just said you didnt want cities being shown in the API key.

Two.  Cilcain clearly says "we" dont want troop count. (link is below just in case you think i am making up the comment from him. Without having all the troop data unless the devs added something to the API key we cannt tell who won the battle so having the troop count is required for king of the hill Tournament.

http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/combat-api-and-its-use-in-a-player-run-tourney_topic6867_post92657.html#92657
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 22:49
not sure if it's possible to comment here without taking up one or the other banner, but for my part: i could not care any less about the origin city of an army; i would very much like to know troop type, because i find the casualty counts we get quite blithe and would prefer that casualties be weighted by troop type rather than simply shown as units killed. the loss of 100 stalwarts vs 100 axmen is not insignificant to me, and it shouldn't be insignificant to anyone measuring the impact of an attack. i invite an explanation of why troop type would be compromising, on the assumption that origin city is not part of the data set returned (i.e., that the devs remove it).
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 15:32
Koda/digi - I totally understand that you didn't ask for the limited-data tournament API key, and you've made it very clear that you don't want to use it or code against it for future tournaments; as is absolutely your prerogative (and can I take this moment to thank you, again, for running the last tournament).

I guess that the most important question (from our perspective) is reasonably simple:

Is there anyone out there - obviously having a working knowledge of xml data, server polling, stats etc - who is willing and able to use the limited-data tournament API key to produce a player-run tournament?

Cheers,

SC

EDIT:  For the purposes of this question, assume that the tournament API key will indicate whether the attacker or the defenders 'won' the engagement and that casualty totals (but not troop type) are included.

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 24 Sep 2016 at 15:38
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic