illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can't Log On

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
EatCake View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EatCake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't Log On
    Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 21:40
Hello Technical People,

For two days now I have been unable to log on.  I can get to the entry screen OK (https://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/Account/LogOn?noRelog=1).  After validating username and password, the browser just hangs.  Tired Chrome and IE - same failure.

Tried all the normal non-technical things: Close browser - Reboot machine - power off machine and try again in the morning.  Nothing is working.

All other websites I normally visit are working completely fine.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thank you.  EatCake.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 02:27
Have you tried clearing cache and cookies?  Sometimes I have to clear the cache and refresh literally every time I log on.
GM ThunderCat View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM ThunderCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 04:34
Hmm... Rill that's not good Unhappy

I've changed some of our cdn settings and purged its cache; is it working any better? (for both)

(After clearing local cache; shouldn't need to clear cookies)

Edited by GM ThunderCat - 26 Aug 2016 at 05:35
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 06:50
Worked for me this time.  What has happened sometimes in the past is that the Log In button is not clickable unless I clear cache and refresh.  Is working fine now.  I'll let you know if it is a problem again.  (I use Chrome.)

And thanks TC!
EatCake View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EatCake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 08:59
Hello ThunderCat and Rill

Thanks for your help and advice.  The problem is still there, so cdn settings have not fixed.  I'm not very IT-ish so I don't know how to clear my 'local cache' or 'cookies'.  Can you do a step-by-step instruction or let me know a trusted URL I can visit with instructions?

Thank you, both.  EC
EatCake View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EatCake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 10:08
Actually ThunderCat and Rill, I just had a thought.  I normally use IE.  I only tried to use Chrome to play Illy after I got the problem.  So Chrome should not have any cookies or cache in it already as I've never logged into the game from Chrome before.

So I'm tempted to think it's not a cache or cookie problem.

EC
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 13:30
The method to clear the cache varies from browser to browser however pressing CTRL + F5 in all browsers will reload the page without using the cache.

One thing I noticed when I used Chrome was that I always had to select the authentication method each time.

If that doesn't work try disabling all your extensions and plugins then trying again.
EatCake View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EatCake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 15:01
Hi Tensmoor - Thanks for your help.  Now that's interesting.  After an unsuccessful log in attempt, I pressed F5, like you said.  I got 'nearly' logged in...
I've got the menu icons across the top.  I've got the resource numbers just under that.  Down the right hand side I've Events, Friends and Chat boxes, like normal.  One important difference...
But the main big box (where the world map, city view, research tree etc. would appear) is missing.  Whenever I press one of the navigation buttons a tiny spinney wheel appears in the top left hand corner for a few seconds and then nothing is displayed.

Does anyone have any ideas what can make the main game play box re-appear, please.

Thank you.  EC
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 15:52
That sounds like a network connection issue at your end. I live out in the sticks and have very slow broadband so I've come across this sort of thing before.

There are a lot of possible causes for this sort of problem but most of them are outside your direct control but what I've found often works for me is to completely power down my router, wait 30 secs then power it up again. If that doesn't work then I'm out of ideas (at the moment).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic