illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie’s Guide to Your First (Assisted) Siege

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sterling View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sterling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie’s Guide to Your First (Assisted) Siege
    Posted: 02 May 2016 at 03:43

Newbie’s Guide to Your First (Assisted) Siege

This guide is useful only for the newbie who would like to besiege an inactive/abandoned town, usually for his/her third or fourth town. It assumes that your kindly alliance mates will be doing the heavy lifting of siege work.

·         Preparation: Please make sure you have reviewed Rill's Quick Guide to Sieges and Ladyluvs' video How to Siege

o    Research: You need Siege Encampment technology.

o    Military: You probably need about ~200 Chariots for the siege itself, and you may want backup for ghosts. Note that if you are being assisted, you DO NOT need to build a siege engine in order to take the town.

o    Build: The above means that you need a L20 barracks, which implies storage space of ~325k per res.

o    City Size: Keep in mind the city size you must have to take a marginal town: 2000 for a third town, 5000 for a fourth.

o    Diplomacy: make sure that you understand what exactly is in the city from spy, scout and thief reports. It is usually best to clear the city of troops before you siege it.

·         Siege

o    Ensure that your siege army arrives at the location before the catapults of the player assisting you. Once you have the siege technology, you can send an army with those orders. You need to set a time limit for the siege. Set the maximum.

o    Ensure that your army and the assisting army land on different spots. You will bump each other if you land on the same spot.

o    Once the siege engines arrive, they will set up for 12 hours and then begin bombing the target city once per hour. Some engines will hit, some will miss; later in the siege more will hit. Each hit reduces a level of a building, and the city loses that amount of population. Beg your heavy lifter for siege reports, which s/he will get every hour.

o    When the city’s population is 25% of what it was when the siege began, either the heavy lifter will need to recall his or her catapults or you will need to storm the city. If one of those doesn’t happen, the cats will continue to bomb the city.

o    Note that you can continue to thieve the city as it is being bombed.

o    Rumors exist that if a player has troops in production when s/he abandons, those ‘ghost’ troops appear suddenly during a storm of the city. Have extra troops on hand to avoid problems should this occur.

·         Aftermath

o    Bask in the glow of your (assisted) victory.

o    Thank your heavy lifter profusely (prestige works, and cows work too. Rill assures me that everyone likes cows).

o    Recall your troops with a messenger sent to your new city.

o    Rebuild the city (unless you razed it, but at this point in the game that would be unusual for you to do).

Many thanks to Thor, Rill, Thunderbum and others for their input and advice on this.

Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 07:21
Nice work.  I suggest this link to a more updated version of my siege guide http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/quick-guide-to-sieges_topic6413.html
Antivirus View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antivirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 01:38
Is it possible to storm the city before the 25% pop is reached, say at 35%, and what are the results of that? Will the system even let me storm the city before 25% is reached?
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 02:29
No, you cannot.  However, you can attack directly with an army other than the siege army if you just want to kill the troops in the city.
Antivirus View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antivirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 05:00
Ok I understand that part. A followup related question please. Say I wanted to siege an abandoned city of about 17,000 pop. After the city has been cleared of troops, about how many siege engines should I send to the siege?
DeathDealer89 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathDealer89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 05:04
Probably around 5.  If you send more you risk destroying the city if your not around for the capture.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 05:55
I like to use 10-20 myself, otherwise the siege takes too long.  But I'm impatient.

In general, the larger the city the faster it will siege because it will have concentration of population in the highest building levels.
Antivirus View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antivirus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2016 at 06:26
Thanks, will keep that in mind. Ty
korpze View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korpze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 03:56
i seen that i only need 450 population and lvl 20 barracks to build seige weapons, so could i blitz to lvl 20 barracks around 350/400 pop and build a bunch of seige untell 450 pop and rush another settlement instead of makeing a colonist? should i expect defenders at such low pop settlements?

Edited by korpze - 23 Nov 2016 at 04:03
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 02:46
If the other player is active or part of an alliance, you can expect other players to assist the city you are sieging.  If the player is inactive and not part of an alliance, you might be able to capture the city without a defense.

To get a level 20 barracks you'll need a fairly high level warehouse.  The resource requirements for a warehouse and barracks are not insignificant.  If you are planning to get the resources for them through trade, you might want a higher level marketplace to allow you more caravans.  Other than trade, the only reasonable way to get those resources is either time or being part of an alliance.

If you plan to use your own siege engines, upkeep for them is fairly expensive, so you'll also want to have some gold for that.  Each one takes around half a day to build, and you'll want a minimum of 5. With 5 siege engines it will take a day or two to complete the siege, plus travel time and the 12-hour setup period.

If you intend to execute all of this on your own without alliance or other support, it would be difficult to gain the required gold (for resources, supplies and troop maintenance) in a short amount of time without purchasing prestige and selling it for gold on the market.

All in all, sieging and capturing a second city on your own can't really be described as "quick."  But good luck with your efforts! Look forward to seeing how you do.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic