illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Combat API and its use in a Player Run Tourney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
TheBillPN View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBillPN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 23:39
I have a question Rikoo:

Given player concern about privacy issues and the effort of coming up with a player run tournament, wouldn't it have just been easier to use pre-existing code to automatically and with very little effort have a quarterly/big-annually/annually dev tourney? And surely you can very easily swap round the stlye of tourney for variation.
I know you want players doing their own thing, and hats off to koda / digioso, but I'm sure this would have been far easier and made far more people happier.

Given that you have already run tourneys, is it not just a matter of copy and paste?
Sorry if this has been answered before, but I havent seen jt if it has.
Cilcain View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cilcain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 23:44
Originally posted by GM Rikoo GM Rikoo wrote:

Luffy;

We have already addressed these concerns and why leaving out any information would not work.

If you have any other specific questions about the topic, let us know!

If you have a specific petition from years ago, feel free to send it to community@illyriad.co.uk and I can look into it. 

Thanks!

Rikoo

With respect Rikoo, you haven't stated why removing certain data elements wouldn't work, you have just stated that you don't want to do it (i.e. It's not just a co-ords filter).

I still firmly believe that a new Tourney API (with limited data elements, and restricted to Tourney squares) can co-exist with the existing Combat API. Tourney organisers can then choose which API they require to run their tourney.

In the case of the forthcoming KotH tourney, for example, the Tourney API would be sufficient (as already confirmed by Digi). In the case of a more complex tourney mechanic (as per SC's earlier post), the current Combat API would be required. Players would then have a choice.

I would expect most player run tourneys will be KotH types.

C

GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Community & PR Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Rikoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 01:12
Luffy,

You are correct and I am wrong; I meant to say that we have already posted why we will not be removing certain data elements, not why it would not work.

I think that's a quadbilion negative, but you get my point! :)

Rikoo
Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 02:30
Originally posted by Cilcain Cilcain wrote:

With respect Rikoo, you haven't stated why removing certain data elements wouldn't work, you have just stated that you don't want to do it (i.e. It's not just a co-ords filter).

I still firmly believe that a new Tourney API (with limited data elements, and restricted to Tourney squares) can co-exist with the existing Combat API. Tourney organisers can then choose which API they require to run their tourney.

In the case of the forthcoming KotH tourney, for example, the Tourney API would be sufficient (as already confirmed by Digi). In the case of a more complex tourney mechanic (as per SC's earlier post), the current Combat API would be required. Players would then have a choice.

I would expect most player run tourneys will be KotH types.

C

If you fight someone in any historic tournament (or indeed in any circumstance where combat occurs between 2 or more players), when your troops arrive and attack/destroy the player/alliance who was holding the square, everyone involved currently receives an ingame mail (with all the XML in it) that currently contains the details you now wish to have suppressed, including troop types, casualties, etc.

Are you similarly requesting that we remove troop types, city sent from, casualties etc from the combat reports that are sent via ingame mail to the attackers and defenders?  And if not, why not?

Regards,

SC
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 02:42
Sorry if I'm being obtuse:  I genuinely want to understand the objection to the API and the XML, as it currently stands.

SC
Diva View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 03:46
Correct me if I'm wrong... anyone in objection.. is it that OTHER "players" (the organisers) have access to this info and NOT the devs? 

Do you feel that it is not trustworthy enough that it stays where it belongs and that all other Organizers of thine enemy and non-friends and friends, that run a tourney in this fashion will have it as well? If that is what it is.. say so.

SPILL THE T!!

But if the API is restricted to the square only .. and combat for the square,  does it not just show the square data only? (This is what I'm thinking it only does). 

And does not lead back to "what each player has in each of their cities"? 

"Um diva.... you are sort of acting like a .... diva...." - PhoenixFire
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 11:47
Originally posted by Luffster Luffster wrote:

Should you wish to take part in one, any player run tournament you will have to give the API key thing to your opponent/opposition/anybody..... and that is totally fine?  Actually not entirely sure, but even if I don't if somebody (Ally/NAP etc) does then my details are out there for anybody to see??
I missed this one earlier.

Luffster - this is the way it has always worked, for all combats (tournament or otherwise), since 2010...

For the avoidance of doubt, let me outline what happens in combat:

1) A defender (or defenders) are on a square
2) An attacker arrives at the square
3) Combat happens
4) All the participants in the combat get an ingame mail, which details all of the data fields listed (such as the troop types involved, the town the attackers came from, etc), which some of you are now asking to have repressed from the data as applied to tournament squares
5) This data is also supplied as an individual combat XML file linked at the bottom of the ingame combat report that all participants in the combat get.

So, everyone involved in the combat gets this data, and anyone can also choose to share it by forwarding on the combat email to anyone they so choose.

What the API key adds is to ask one (or all) of the participants in the combat to, essentially, automatically forward-on their ingame combat emails that happened on the tournament squares during the tournament duration... to forward on these to the tournament administrator, so they can administer the rules and prizes.  The data always was shared amongst all participants in the combat; and any one of the players involved in the combat could always centralise the full dataset, wherever they wished to.

Regards,

SC

Mr Damage View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Damage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 11:57
Question, if I dont give my API key I can still hit the tournament squares and the only consequence is that I won't be recorded in the stats for the tournament?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 12:12
Originally posted by Mr Damage Mr Damage wrote:

Question, if I dont give my API key I can still hit the tournament squares and the only consequence is that I won't be recorded in the stats for the tournament?
I have no idea. Mr D: that'd be up to the tournament organiser.  

They may be fine with it, or they (and the other participants) may take a dim view to people turning up and fighting without providing the API key.

SC
Digioso View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digioso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 14:48
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

Originally posted by Mr Damage Mr Damage wrote:

I have no idea. Mr D: that'd be up to the tournament organiser.  

They may be fine with it, or they (and the other participants) may take a dim view to people turning up and fighting without providing the API key.

SC

Your attack will be recorded and taken into account. The script will produce a warning message that a player took part in the tournament that hasn't shared his key.
So as long as your attack is recorded by another player it will be taken into account. If there is no record from another player of your attack it won't be considered simply because the script doesn't know about it.

Koda has to decide whether he politely asks you to give him your key or whether he'll issue a warning to you and your alliance. 2nd warning = your alliance is out of the tournament.
@Koda: Please correct me if I'm wrong about these plans.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
  Share Topic