illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Combat API and its use in a Player Run Tourney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Count Rupert View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Rupert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 02:35
Definitely combat occurrence.  All the tournaments I know of are based on when the combat occurs, not when the troops were sent.
Digioso View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digioso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 10:26
[x] combat occurrence timestamp
Diva View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 14:44
Though I know nothing how it's done... but keeping it a restricted API key to the combat report on the square alone will probably bring in more alliances, as the sekret info wants to stay sekret. 

Man, many must be holding (I know some do) over 1 million+  troops PER player for years!! LOL.

restricted API key to the combat report on the square alone  is my vote :)  [x]
"Um diva.... you are sort of acting like a .... diva...." - PhoenixFire
Cilcain View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cilcain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 16:32
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

To be clear:

The only fix we're putting in place is for a tournament-square-specific API key that will share all the information currently in the current combat report ingame mail - just as the current combat API key does - but only for combats that occur on tournament squares.  

We're not limiting any other information; the tournament API key will be the exact current combat report, just restricted to combats that occurred on the tournament square.

We've had requests, for example, to restrict troop numbers and casualty information in the combat report.  However, the last tournament made these numbers (broken down combat by combat) publicly available on a battle-by-battle basis - and no one complained then; so I find these requests for even more slimmed-down datasets somewhat perplexing.

If this is not to anyone's liking, then I suggest they don't share their API key/participate in the player-run tournament - and the problem is entirely solved.

Regards,

SC

SC, what's the difficulty/objection to stripping out a few data elements? As far as I know, KotH does not need to know troop type or quantities, city name/identifier, time travelled. If we were asking for new data, I could understand.

Is Koda able to comment on what data is essential for the forthcoming tourney?

Number of casualties is fine, and from memory, is what has been reported in previous tournaments.

C

Digioso View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digioso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 16:55
For Kodas tournament we basically only need to know the occupation time and which armies are still there after the battle.
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 17:11
Originally posted by Cilcain Cilcain wrote:

SC, what's the difficulty/objection to stripping out a few data elements? As far as I know, KotH does not need to know troop type or quantities, city name/identifier, time travelled. If we were asking for new data, I could understand.
C
Hi Cilcain,

Fundamentally, because we're keeping the data in the combat report XML identical to the data that's in the combat report ingame mail, and see no reason to branch the XML output  - especially as this may hinder possible future player-run tournaments that might need/want these fields for the express purposes of administering their tournament and/or prizes.  

Off the top of my head, I can think of many circumstances in which these data fields could be specifically relevant to a tournament competition, eg:
  • a cavalry-only tournament, or 
  • awarding prizes for the highest K/D ratio, or 
  • a tournament to see who has the best military from a single city, or
  • a tournament that is only open to cities in a named region
Regards,

SC

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 12 Apr 2016 at 17:12
Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 20:47
Having read through the thread again, I am a little disappointed that the concern from individuals about the data hasn't been addressed.  On the plus, side, a combat report bug HAS been fixed so that troops and commanders now sort properly, but this also seems important - more so in fact.
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 21:06
Any tournament organiser can choose not to display any of the data you wish to be suppressed, if they wish.  

But at the end of the day, you have to trust the tournament organiser with the data the API key provides for those combats that occur on the tournament square whilst the key is still valid.

Regards,

SC
Luffster View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luffster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 22:54
So let me get this right...

The Devs/Admin don't run any tournaments any more (straining to remember the last one!), we are now reliant on the players to run any form of tournament.  Should you wish to take part in one, any player run tournament you will have to give the API key thing to your opponent/opposition/anybody..... and that is totally fine?  Actually not entirely sure, but even if I don't if somebody (Ally/NAP etc) does then my details are out there for anybody to see??

We hoped that the key was going to amended to restrict details but it seems to be too tough/too much time for the Devs/Admin to spend on - because they are so busy answering all of our petitions - this must be the case because I have 2 from 2012 that were never answered....   

Wait one minute, have I arrived in my deLorean 4 years into the future?

Regards

Luffy 
GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Community & PR Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Rikoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 23:14
Luffy;

We have already addressed these concerns and why leaving out any information would not work.

If you have any other specific questions about the topic, let us know!

If you have a specific petition from years ago, feel free to send it to community@illyriad.co.uk and I can look into it. 

Thanks!

Rikoo

Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic