FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Combat API and its use in a Player Run Tourney

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 01:25
Originally posted by Dungshoveleux Dungshoveleux wrote:

I would suggest all involved to take a deep breath, step back, and wait for the revised api key which limits the information shared to acceptable levels for most people.  Give the devs space to fix this which I am sure, having got their attention, they will.

To be clear:

The only fix we're putting in place is for a tournament-square-specific API key that will share all the information currently in the current combat report ingame mail - just as the current combat API key does - but only for combats that occur on tournament squares.  

We're not limiting any other information; the tournament API key will be the exact current combat report, just restricted to combats that occurred on the tournament square.

We've had requests, for example, to restrict troop numbers and casualty information in the combat report.  However, the last tournament made these numbers (broken down combat by combat) publicly available on a battle-by-battle basis - and no one complained then; so I find these requests for even more slimmed-down datasets somewhat perplexing.

If this is not to anyone's liking, then I suggest they don't share their API key/participate in the player-run tournament - and the problem is entirely solved.

Regards,

SC
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 01:27
Originally posted by Mahaut Mahaut wrote:

"The API key system has been out there - and used by many highly successful alliances - for many years - since well before the player-run tournaments idea."  Really? It was released Feb 2015 so just over a year, who had it before that?

D minus - must try harder. 2010 is - by my reckoning - many years.

http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/combat-api-keys_topic906.html

Regards,

SC
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 01:43
GM Stormcrow, I am glad you are working on a tourney-specific API key.  This is excellent news and will be very useful for the upcoming tourney.  I appreciate your responsiveness in this regard.

I would be interested in your comment on whether it is possible to create a key that is time-limited (rather than geographically limited), for use for example in hunting tournaments or other events that do not use the tournament squares and which therefore must use a broader API key that is not limited to those squares.

Do you understand what I am saying about players not wishing to share ALL their historical information each time they wish to participate in an event?  Illy is a perpetual world, and as such political feelings can simmer for a long time -- a strength of the game.  It would be good to have a tool that is robust enough to take this into account by limiting the period of time someone given an API key can "look back" on historical data. 

As someone who is not a coder, I do not know how practical this is, and I am interested in your response.  I'm not suggesting that this be something the player can select upon creation of the key (although that idea has merit, I anticipate it would be too difficult), but rather that there be keys that are limited to a timeframe such as the current year.

Thanks!

Edited by Rill - 12 Apr 2016 at 01:53
Mahaut View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mahaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 01:46
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

Originally posted by Mahaut Mahaut wrote:

"The API key system has been out there - and used by many highly successful alliances - for many years - since well before the player-run tournaments idea."  Really? It was released Feb 2015 so just over a year, who had it before that?

D minus - must try harder. 2010 is - by my reckoning - many years.

http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/combat-api-keys_topic906.html

Regards,

SC

Lol yes indeed I found the previous release date just after my posting. Ya got me good with that one hehe
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 01:57
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

GM Stormcrow, I am glad you are working on a tourney-specific API key.  This is excellent news and will be very useful for the upcoming tourney.  I appreciate your responsiveness in this regard.

I would be interested in your comment on whether it is possible to create a key that is also time-limited, for use for example in hunting tournaments or other events that do not use the tournament squares and which therefore must use a broader API key that is not limited to those squares.

Do you understand what I am saying about players not wishing to share ALL their historical information each time they wish to participate in an event?  Illy is a perpetual world, and as such political feelings can simmer for a long time -- a strength of the game.  It would be good to have a tool that is robust enough to take this into account by limiting the period of time someone given an API key can "look back" on historical data. 

As someone who is not a coder, I do not know how practical this is, and I am interested in your response.  I'm not suggesting that this be something the player can select upon creation of the key (although that idea has merit, I anticipate it would be too difficult), but rather that there be keys that are limited to a timeframe such as the current year.

Thanks!

As far as I am aware, this is already the case.

a) Issue and provide your key at a certain time of your choosing - presumably when the tournament starts

b) The key is only valid for combat data from the moment the (new) key is issued, onwards (as far as I am aware)

c) When the tournament is over, change your key with one click (and the old one becomes invalid)

If it doesn't work like this (ie a newly-issued key gives access to combat data issued prior to the timestamp on the key), please do let me know.

Regards,

SC

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 12 Apr 2016 at 01:59
kodabear View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Astronomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kodabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 02:02
The combat key does have data from all combat from the time you first created the key even when you create a new key
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 02:05
Originally posted by kodabear kodabear wrote:

The combat key does have data from all combat from the time you first created the key even when you create a new key

Ah kk.  That can be easily fixed (and should be how it always worked - funny how, 6 years on, these things come to light XD).  

All those in favour say 'aye'? 

Regards,

SC
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 02:11
Oh, one further question.  

Should key issue date (which combats to report in the API key list of available combats from the datetime of the key issuance) be based on:
a) troop movement sent timestamp, or 
b) combat occurrence timestamp?

Edt: my thinking is combat occurrence, but willing to hear alternative views.

Regards,

SC

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 12 Apr 2016 at 02:13
Solanar View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solanar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 02:17
I vote combat occurance 
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2016 at 02:19
I definitely vote only combats from when you newly create a key should be available, that was my initial impression and I only learned differently recently.  So if that is changed so that only combats from when the key was generated are available, that would be awesome.

Also, I think it should be the date and time of combat occurrence, not when the mission was sent.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic