illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tournament Square Update!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Baltek View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baltek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 02:13
Originally posted by kodabear kodabear wrote:

Thank you devs for adding the  Tournament Square 

+1

I concur with kodabear's sentiment.  Thank you for taking the time to implement the changes.
dittobite View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dittobite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 00:52
while vCrow has not yet decided on entering this tourney, we do share VicToRix concerns regarding the API key as well as the devs position it seems not to run dev organized tourneys.  The lack of tourneys, meaningful updates, and solvable mysteries are very concerning and have led many to believe as mentioned in the post above the the devs do have other priorities.  A good number of players are still staying in this game and putting money into it in hopes that this is not the case.

...at minimum rerunning the same tourney annually would require minimal effort on the devs behalf and give the community, a large portion of which is interested in tourneys, to have something to look forward to. 

Veraxillium View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veraxillium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 01:54
Agreed
Diva View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 06:16
While I do lament the lack of effort in improvements/new devcelopments the Devs have given us, I do applaud the efforts of Alliance Leaders and members to keep an interest in the game. These people have not only led their own in-house tournaments, but have also included other alliances in their plans. 

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

I agree with Dittobite in that keying in Semi-Annual or Annual Events would improve enjoying the game without much effort but the Dev to program them in. All is needed is new design on the win prizes ... Isn't someone sitting at the controls at least 2x's a year? I know we have an awesome graphics designer in the Big C!
"Um diva.... you are sort of acting like a .... diva...." - PhoenixFire
IbnSenna View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IbnSenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 14:24
Ouch … and devising prizes which could be put to use?

such as dragons units speed… if these can't be set as commanders, their speed is mereley decorative :-(

zolvon View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zolvon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 23:15
Thank you Mahaut for bringing to my attention the issue of API keys. I know very little about it but from what you said it seems that sensitive information would become available to the tourney organizers, which I too am uncomfortable about.

Either an official statement promising confidentiality or some change preventing excess info being obtained would need to occur for Love And Freedom to participate in future tournaments.

I also find it strange that the devs have withdrawn from running tournaments as it would prevent issues like this occuring and is surely easier for them to run than for players to.
Canesrule View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canesrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 01:13
Zolvon
As it stands an API key gives the following information
Army size, Town it came from, Troop type, Commander health and damage received plus some other not so sensitive info. The API key will remain active (until canceled) and report on all battles the player engages in, even if non tourney related.
The issue we have is that not all this information is needed for a player run tourney.

Would it be so difficult for the Devs to write a new API key for the tourney which would give only the needed information.

I do not know exactly what would be required but Time an Alliance was in occupation of a square would seem the important one plus I suppose casualties on the square and who attacked it.

mjc2 View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mjc2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 05:04
Originally posted by Canesrule Canesrule wrote:

Zolvon
As it stands an API key gives the following information
Army size, Town it came from, Troop type, Commander health and damage received plus some other not so sensitive info. The API key will remain active (until canceled) and report on all battles the player engages in, even if non tourney related.
The issue we have is that not all this information is needed for a player run tourney.

Would it be so difficult for the Devs to write a new API key for the tourney which would give only the needed information.

I do not know exactly what would be required but Time an Alliance was in occupation of a square would seem the important one plus I suppose casualties on the square and who attacked it.

i can actually see all this info being needed for tourneys depending on the rules of the tourney.  i agree it is not all needed for the one Koda is setting up but someone else may set one up with different rules that does require that info.  the big question is do you trust Koda enough with this info, if you dont then dont join the tourney, if you do then join it.  i actually see this as another reason for people that want to run tourneys to maintain a good reputation because if they are not trustworthy then no one will join their tourneys
Luffster View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luffster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 08:51
I believe that Mahaut's and Canes points are valid, whilst I do not believe Koda would share/use the info in future, what would stop somebody else running a tournament then passing the information on to less favorable characters? Would we ever know? 

I cannot see any reason why the town from which the armies were sent from would be required for any Tourney and also calculation of travel times etc,  if the API key was set up not to have excess information then it no longer becomes an issue of trust but just a straightforward tourney with no personality entanglements/concerns by players and their respective alliances.
Cilcain View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cilcain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 11:45
Originally posted by mjc2 mjc2 wrote:

the big question is do you trust Koda enough with this info, if you dont then dont join the tourney, if you do then join it. 

With respect, I don't think that is the question.  For the record, I have absolutely no reason whatsoever not to trust Koda.

Koda et al should be hugely applauded for their efforts in pulling together a tourney using the tools at their disposal - particularly as they do not receive any income from the game as the Devs do.

The problem for me is the “tools at their disposal” part – i.e. the API.  The API was presumably built for Dev run tourneys, where data gathered would always stay within a closed secure loop.  The current API is not fit for purpose when it comes to player run tourneys.

As I state, I trust Koda (as much as anyone can trust an account name representing a person I have never met/spoken to anyway) – but my point is, that security of this type of information should not depend on personal trust.  It will only take one incident in the future where one side of a conflict wonders how their opponents managed to get a ‘lucky’ hit.  Was it luck?  Or was it something else?  A losing side will always look for excuses.  Koda will never be able to demonstrate that the data wasn’t leaked (again let me state that I don’t believe Koda would ever willingly do this) – but it would not be demonstrable.  If the API is rewritten with minimal data elements, then stating that Koda never had the data is demonstrable by publishing the API contract.

I also have no issue with alliances that are signing up for this tourney (not that they should care about my opinion) – but hopefully the contents of this thread means that they are doing so with their eyes open.  I expect that the willingness to participate is born of frustration from the inactivity of the Devs.

Just another thought…if the players are now doing things that the Devs should be doing, can we cut the price of Prestige??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic