illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Intercept Feint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Wartow View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intercept Feint
    Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 23:13
So... feints are fun, right?  Other than your army being out for a stroll there is no other threat against them... Well, here is my proposal to change that.

Intercept Feint can be researched, make it a good 30 day research, we all love those, in the military branch of the research tree.

If a city under attack decides to Intercept Feint there are two possible outcomes when the armies meet on the battlefield...
  1. The incoming attack is NOT a feint then the attacking army is considered to be the attacker and the intercepting army would be the defender.  Treat such a battle as a "raid" rather than an attack and calculate losses.  This will minimize catastrophic losses for the attacking army when intercepted en route to another point.
  2. The incoming attack IS A FEINT then the attacking army has to take the role of defender and the intercepting army would be considered the attacker.  This battle would be considered an attack.
All and any equipment bonuses would be calculated accordingly.
All and any terrain bonuses would be based on the square on which the battle occurs.

What happens after the battle?
  1. A feint army after being intercepted will continue if a given percentage of troops survive.  This percentage could be based on an (newly introduced) attribute of the commander.  A 1 to 10 scale would determine the percentage.  Take the level of this attribute, multiply it by 10, and subtract from 100.  This would be the necessary number of remaining troops to continue on the feint.  Otherwise, they return immediately.
  2. Attacking armies continue until they reach their destinations or are destroyed.
Other variations and options...
  • Avoid interception - Allows armies to dodge an intercepting army.  The intercepting army is forced to encamp for a given period of time before returning to the home city.
  • Slow movement - An army that has been intercepted is slowed by the attack.  This may be a calculated decrease in movement speed (for the winner) or a forced encampment (for the loser).
Most of the data and math needed for these additions are probably already in the logic of the game.  Any additions would be pretty straight forward programming logic.

As always... Just my ideas... The community makes them better... And hopefully convinces the DEVs that it would be worth the investment.

\/\/artow

DeathDealer89 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathDealer89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 23:55
Wouldn't gain much you would kill 1 commander and 1 troop.   

Instead I would just add 'interception' when your city is being attacked you can send your troops to intercept the attack.  But even this would be weird since you would lose the defense bonus of your city.  
gorm View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2016 at 09:03
Wartow,

I like the idea, but as DeathDealer89 says, you would just kill 1 troop and 1 commander or kill your army when it is out of town.

Having said that, if I look at your proposal as part of a larger picture then I think the proposal has merit. But then you may want to include things like:
- the ability to scout armies that are on the move against you, that way you can choose whether or not to intercept this army yes or no, decide on how to organize defenses etc.
- send assassins to an army on the move to your city
- intercept enemy diplomatic actions (Thieving, Scouting, assassination attempts) which would allow you to kill the thieves or the assassins send your way while they are on the move to your city.
- send armies based on a schedule (perhaps paid for by some prestige) to better coordinate attacks on a city/encampment
- etc.

There are perhaps several other things that one would like to include once you start adding features to the warfare/diplo mechanism, but I am a little low on ideas Wink.
But that would definitely make it more interesting.

DeathDealer89 View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathDealer89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 02:51
I love the idea of sending assassins to incoming armies.  

Perhaps you could send saboteurs to make them slow down, miss or some don't hit.  

This would make diplos a lot more useful than they our now and would allow the diplo attachment to be more useful as well.  

It would make the foreign office more useful since you could intercept from much greater distances as well.

It could also mean that you could try to intercept as a defending army on better terrain.  Although still not sure it would be worth it to lose the power of your wall.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic