FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Data requests

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
Author
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 18:40
I'm interested in behavioral economics too ...planning to do my dissertation using data from MMOs.  I'm not sure why you couldn't achieve the same result using blinded ID numbers? (not Illy IDs) -- as long as each player and location were uniquely identified.

I'm sure we're all going to be interested in your research results as well.  Are you familiar with the Daedalus Project? The Daedalus Gateway: The Psychology of MMORPGs, 

I haven't thoroughly reviewed the site, and it seems to have more in terms of sociological or psychological stuff, but you might find it interesting.

Edited by Rill - 18 Sep 2011 at 01:06
Hugie View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 20:50
MOVED FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE WHERE EVERYONE SAID IT WASN'T WELCOME

How can I ask the GMs private questions about developing new quests?

I'd like to create a couple of quests for a forthcoming user-organised tournament (like the "race", only with a bit more detail), and obviously I don't want to give all of the development or answers away on an open forum or there would be no point in the quest.

A sample (which can be public)
The quest would start on the first day of the mini-tournaments, and could be answered by either of two types of teams - either a single CITY, or a team made of up to 20 CITIES (the team could be defined across alliances and players, the use of CITIES instead of players is important).  Since the quest clues will be scattered all over Illyria, a single CITY would need to send scouts all over the world; whereas a team could dispatch the next scout (once they have an answer) from the nearest city in their team.  But GM would need to keep track of the team members and ensure that scouts aren't dispatched before the clue is in for that team.

What's the use of Chariots without a Chariot Race?  Before pathfinding comes in, is it possible for each player to DRAW A COURSE for their chariot to follow to visit eg 10 pre-defined places on Illyria and return to their start position?  This would mean all chariots running at the same speed, but with faster movement on plains, slower through jungle, in between on sand, a 8 min delay crossing water, and a 10 min delay if they pass through any village/city which contains a tavern (well, I imagine they could drink quite fast).  We should also allow caravans, for those that haven't developed chariot-like warriors, and give them all the same speed as each other for the purposes of the race

Would it be possible to colour each player's piece in the colour of their country of origin?  This would lead to a quite colourful result, especially as many players will follow different courses

Clues - well I can't describe any of them here, and I'll develop them inside the Absaroke alliance anyway, but I'd like to check some concepts and of course ask your experience on what works and what is too obscure.  Once again, the aim is to give experienced players no advantage over new players.

And some other stuff

Hope you can help with a forum where I could invite certain trusted collaborators and you could answer specific questions which only GMs can answer.  TIA
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 23:49
I actually have an idea about how you could do a "scavenger hunt" without troubling the GMs at all ... involving scouting cities of players who have volunteered to participate.  We'd need some vets to advise us on how to make this work.

Hugie, I think the main point being made in the other thread is that we want to leave the GMs alone to code in peace for a while, since they are working on a few important "bits" for the next update.

I suggest you look for volunteers to help implement your idea -- something fun could be done, as I said, without needing any coding.

For example, it could be done with caravans instead of diplos -- players could forward some token good to a player or location given by a clue, then forward the report to a "referee" who could then dispense another "clue," when that was solved they send a caravan and the ref gives another "clue."

It's great to have these player-designed activities, but let's be creative and think of ways to do them that won't distract the devs from doing that thing they do.

What do you think?
Yso Sris View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yso Sris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 16:30
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

I'm interested in behavioral economics too ...planning to do my dissertation using data from MMOs.  I'm not sure why you couldn't achieve the same result using blinded ID numbers? (not Illy IDs) -- as long as each player and location were uniquely identified.

I'm sure we're all going to be interested in your research results as well.  Are you familiar with the Daedalus Project? The Daedalus Gateway: The Psychology of MMORPGs, 

I haven't thoroughly reviewed the site, and it seems to have more in terms of sociological or psychological stuff, but you might find it interesting.

Very interesting.

OK what everyone else seems to have missed is the 'endgame' comment. Is there an expectation that the server, with a map this big and with ease of expansion of grid, could ever reach such a point?
GFactor View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GFactor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 15:20
Yes, Yso Sris. While the map indeed could go on forever, the server in charge ("uk1.illyriad.co.uk") cannot. It's been stated somewhere else on the forums that the game server is capable of managing up to X number of players and cities, after which point performance starts to take a very noticeable hit. So in answer to your question, there may in fact be an "endgame" scenario someday (although later rather than sooner).

Edited by GFactor - 26 Sep 2011 at 15:20
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 20:36
I recall one of the devs saying the capacity is for 10k players on the server AT A TIME.  Currently the highest number is around 1200-1300.  The "endgame" if there is one ... will not be upon us anytime soon.
Kurfist View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurfist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 20:45
Originally posted by Illyriad Admin Illyriad Admin wrote:

Each server has a possible player capacity of over 100K players.  We may limit this for performance purposes as the server grows.

Add an extra zero Rill.
Patience is a virtue, resource giving is a sin
Gimli Son of Groin View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gimli Son of Groin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 17:05
So is it possible for there to be another server?
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albatross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 18:03
That number will come down with pathfinding :o)
Koragg View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koragg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 01:29
Greetings!  I'm working on a market analysis program, and I would greatly appreciate the following data;
1) End of day market averages for each market resource, for at least the last 2 weeks (as viewable in the trade window: Total Volume, Average Buy price, Average Sell price, and average total price.)
2) Active buy/sell requests made that day.  This one's iffy, since I know you only update these once per day, and it can change throughout the day, but I'd really love to be able to work with the data.  I'm currently entering it manually (Haven't looked into a resource to capture data directly from the webpage).  (Quantity, Total Price, Price per unit, Resource, Player Id, Town)
3) Faction lists including hub locations (Name, Location, Region) and (hopefully) racial base and inter-faction standing.  (Alliance and per-player standing would be great too, but that's currently not available on the UI, so I don't expect it.)

I recognize that 1 and 2 might be a bit of a waste for your to work up with Trade V2 on the horizon, but hopefully their TV2 equivalents can be made available at the appropriate time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
  Share Topic