Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedServer War Map

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
invictusa View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 01:10
[10 Oct 23:25]<Biff> People should be told the truth. This is an affront upon the very fundamental freedoms that the illy community holds most dear.  There is nothing friendly about this war.
...and miles to go before I sleep.
Jax View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 01:26
Originally posted by invictusa invictusa wrote:

[10 Oct 23:25]<Biff> People should be told the truth. This is an affront upon the very fundamental freedoms that the illy community holds most dear.  There is nothing friendly about this war.

you sound like a heretical preacher LOL
Solanar View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 05:12
I kind of got the impression it was a friendly, consensual war for anyone not named Biff. 
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 15:37
Originally posted by invictusa invictusa wrote:

[10 Oct 23:25]<Biff> People should be told the truth.

imo, this would carry more force if the speaker weren't using a pseudonym on the forum.
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 18:30
What fundamental freedoms does this war affront? The ability to say whatever you want, no matter how inflammatory, without repercussions? Because that freedom has never existed. I've played this game for three years, and not a week goes by when the self-appointed hall monitors in GC don't start talking gleefully about punishing someone who has bad manners, typically with siege engines.

The people who can truly say whatever they want have always been the powerful players, their alliance mates, and their friends. All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others. Particularly the animals with big armies and lots of allies.

For the record, I'm not agreeing with the rationale for this flare up. It seems a poor cause for battle. I'm just disagreeing (yet again) with the rosy picture people have painted of the sterling community standards in this game, the inalienable rights held by all Illyrians to speech without consequences and 10 squares in all directions, and the historical existence of all manner of noble farcical Illy institutions. Even Durc told us to keep our heads down sometimes, and she wasn't apologetic about cultivating friends in powerful alliances.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 05:03
People who have the courage to say what they think will do so regardless of the environment.  Choosing a time and a place is always wise, of course, but historically Illy has been fairly tolerant of people expressing differing views.  I know I'm not shy about saying what I think, and haven't been since I was a small player in a small alliance.

I don't agree with a rosy picture of Illy as a Utopian society either (my city names notwithstanding).  However, the impossibly perfect need not be the enemy of the good.  Unless we are arguing merely for the sake of argument (which is fun in its own right), the main question here is not what has happened in the past but what is happening now and what will happen in the future.

So, what do we want Illy to be?  Personally I'd like it to be a place where people can exchange ideas without having a difference of opinion devolve into a war.

Edited by Rill - 12 Oct 2015 at 05:03
Nokigon View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Historian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 17:35
As I understand it, Absa and T-O have reached conditions whereupon war can be had, but in a relatively friendly and limited fashion. That makes this whole conversation rather moot, in my view.
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 21:51
Well, ajqtrz (remember him? anti-land claim guy?) had a crackerjack idea for a tournament once. He suggested that we all use sov to make pretty arial pictures of shapes and drawings on the Illyrian landscapes (so long as no threats of coercion were used). 

Why don't y'all solve the war that way? We'll let .Mjölnir. judge the contest.

And Goldy: no more sov phalluses, you hear? 

Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 15:46
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

So, what do we want Illy to be?  Personally I'd like it to be a place where people can exchange ideas without having a difference of opinion devolve into a war.

Personally I like it the way it seems to be going. You say thing in forum you run the risk of in-game retaliation. You want to express ideas that have nothing to do with game, well that is ok. You express ideas aimed at people in-game, well then you deal with the in-game consequences.
Kaggen is my human half
Neytiri View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 21:32
Originally posted by Nokigon Nokigon wrote:

As I understand it, Absa and T-O have reached conditions whereupon war can be had, but in a relatively friendly and limited fashion. That makes this whole conversation rather moot, in my view.

It doesn't *feel* friendly.  I mean, nobody has brought snacks or anything.  
"It is well that their bodies know the heat and the cold; it will make them strong warriors and mothers." - Absaroke elder (from Edward S. Curtis's book 'The North American Indian')
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic